What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

started the rebuilt engine

for the first time. Bled the rad. first heat cycle done, 30 minutes, idle to 1500. Longer cycle tomorrow.

Finally installed adjustable strut top mounts

The car now handles even better than I had imagined it would. I also go the blasted electrical problem fixe for the starting problem that has been plaguing my car for years. SHe runs better than ever!

Brakes!

Ok, so the last weekend or two I have completely rebuilt or replaced every component (except the hard lines) in the braking system! Even the the switch that turns the brake lights on when you press the pedal....cuz I accidently broke it when I did the master cylinder! All 4 corners are DONE and everything works great! I have also rebuilt the carb, replaced the transmission fluid with Red Line, and did the brown wire mod! Check it out::cool:

Well...

I Spent all day yesterday at work! I am a "Fiat Bum" as they say, and I gotta pay for these parts somehow lol! :)

Congrats! I know that feeling.

That's the moment that makes all the work up to that point worth it, and gives you the enthusiasm to continue the project.

Thanks

Thanks!

This project has been VERY worthwhile. It's a "Father/Son Adventure", (at age 48, I'm the son). It's been a great way for me to enjoy spending time with my father, and has given him a project that is engaging and rewarding.

Cars have always been a big part of my Dad's life. (He spent his career designing engines.) I've always had mechanical interest, but not generally directed at the automotive world. (I repair musical instruments for a living.) I've learned a lot from my father, from the Fiat, and from this forum.

cursed at the car because my oil leak which I repaired in AZ (oil pressure switch) is leaking again!

having to purchase and replace faulty new parts is a great way for me to lose my religion.

Rust repairs

Removed the Frunk carpet on the Bertone and poked around with a screw driver. Now have a couple of rust holes which will require cutting and patching. Would appear to be combination of a leaking plug in the end of the Washer bottle on one side and leaking battery acid on the other.

Fortunately have applicable panel work in one of the parts cars I am stripping. Went to work with the sabre saw and spot weld drill to recover appropriate panels with the bends in the right places.
Now to get some practice again with the Henrob 2000 torch before welding into car.

All oil leaks appear to be fixed for now.

replaced the 15amp ato fuse on the BWM to 25amp, and took a nice 30 mile drive with the roof off and heater on while enjoying tunes with my newly added powered subwoofer...

Back