What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Xmission rebuild time

y5e6yqub.jpg

yde9a4av.jpg

purty!

Winter Projects Prep

Spruced up the garage a bit, ran the shop vac.

Put the X up on jackstands again, and drained the coolant as Step 1 of several cooling system, undercarriage, and other winter projects.

Main cooling system project is installing the very tasty Bob Grasch all-aluminum radiator.

Also planning to have the bumpers powder coated and then put them back "tucked."

And install the Plaia doublers, pivots, and strut upper mounts.

Well not to be a p*&^k, but here in sunny socal it's 80F out so I'm going to wash the '78 and take Cheryl out for a spin. I removed the dizzy and fixed (I believe) the intermittant misfires under load problem last night, and now's the perfect day to determine if it is :)

Talk about a rough nite tho... took me a while to just get a point change done. Ever got defective contact points? I took the dizzy out, found what i believe to be the culprit (small point gap, loose condenser ground mount, loose vacuum retard unit) and repaired it.

At that time I cleaned and lubed up the point cam, replaced and reset the points, checked vacuum diaphram operation, and reduced ignition retard to 5 degrees instead of 10 (runs better). I put her back in and no spark. I suspected the usual maladies (point spring touching ground, thru terminal not insulated from ground) and all looked fine.

Then I got my ohmmeter and noticed that with the points open or closed, I got no continuity! I cleaned and even light saned the new points and I was getting a random signal at best. I wound up using the new point arm and the old point base (sanded up). Then I wound up putting the dizzy in 180 out (oops). Nothing like a good backfire thru the carb to tell you something is amiss. At least I knew I had spark this time LOL.

Anyhoo, shes all back in, initial timing set to 10 degrees BTDC (vacuum plugged), idle is a nice smooth 850-870 rpm, and the short test drive last night at 2am revealed no more hiccups and a renewed amount of power.

So off I go...

Today was a good day!

OK, so not as good as driving, but... :)

I've been working at getting my black '86 back on the road after a failed attempt at installing a higher performance engine (that I now believe had a blown head gasket). I've been swapping in the original engine, but with a different transmission that goes into 5th and reverse. Project has been stalled for months as I recovered from broken hands. Made it hard to remember what all to reconnect, what bolts go where, etc. BUT, today I fired it up. Not road-ready yet, but even with just a rough timing by eyeball guessing, it ran really smoothly!
It has new oil filter, fresh oil, fresh spark plugs, and new plug wires!
Happy :dance: :dance:

OK, so not as good as driving, but... :)

I've been working at getting my black '86 back on the road after a failed attempt at installing a higher performance engine (that I now believe had a blown head gasket). I've been swapping in the original engine, but with a different transmission that goes into 5th and reverse. Project has been stalled for months as I recovered from broken hands. Made it hard to remember what all to reconnect, what bolts go where, etc. BUT, today I fired it up. Not road-ready yet, but even with just a rough timing by eyeball guessing, it ran really smoothly!
It has new oil filter, fresh oil, fresh spark plugs, and new plug wires!
Happy :dance: :dance:

Nothing like that feeling you get when you give it the first turn over and it exceeds your expectations. Congrats. :thumbsup:

I couldn't take it anymore...

It has been COLD all winter here in NH. I've been doing mostly indoor projects. Removed the cluster surround and painted it, built a wiring harness for my new/old Pioneer radio and subwoofer/amp, replaced some dead LEDs in the radio display, etc. Still working on the "buddha" distributor access panel I made in fiberglass to accomodate the integrated ignition module version.

I've been itching to work on the shiny new radiator. So today (15'F) I ventured into the icy garage, fired up the engine one last time (for awhile), shut her down, and drained all the coolant. Will drop the old radiator and put in the new one.

Also planning to replace the timing belt and possibly the passenger side engine mount as long as the coolant is out anyhow...

So today (15'F) I ventured into the icy garage, fired up the engine one last time (for awhile), shut her down, and drained all the coolant. Will drop the old radiator and put in the new one.

I admire your fortitude. You just confirmed owning an X is indeed a sickness. I installed a NOS dashpot on my '78 today and I was like a kid watching a space walk admiring how the throttle would linkage would slowly move upon decelleration. Talk about cheap thrills LOL.

Frunk Strut!

WooHoo, been waiting to do this, had other plans for today, but the FedEx guy pulled up with the struts and brackets so I just had to :happy::clap::excited::dance::happy:

83FEE0E7-8F61-4BE6-93F7-945DA9016CEE.jpg

test drive for several miles after a winter of;
installing adjustable cam gear, fixing oil leak, redoing lever lights, installing a sub woofer and idiot light circuit for it, installing an idiot light for my engine lid, cleaning up wiring here and there, brake pads and reservoir hoses, flushing. I think that's it. Runs great. Anxious for weather to break.

We got the pedal block back in (had to replace all the rubber brake and clutch lines, brake and clutch masters earlier), put the steering column back in, and replaced a "new" right front brake caliper because it was sticking and bled the brakes yet again.

Got new ones home

Actually got back Friday night.

So... I bought Matt's hoard in Santa Fe... still married so far...

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/23263/

My Buddy Eric and I drove out from Dallas to Santa Fe in his Ram Thursday. Spent the night, picked up a dolly in the morning and headed to Matt's to load up. We were loaded up by 10 AM, with parts in the truck and in the cars. Matt was super cool! His UniMog project seems better suited to the area. LOL

I drove the 83 on the way back, on the flat land and heading down hill back to Texas I was getting 40MPG! The clutch started slipping after we passed through Quana, but only a little. Made it back to Allen around 10 PM. Then spent first half of Sat getting them all to fit in the garage.

I'm the Fluffy guy, Matts the tall one.

12755485965_5fbbc1e549_o_d.jpg

12755606283_0a03a463a3_o_d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually got back Friday night.

So... I bought Matt's hoard in Santa Fe... still married so far...

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/23263/

My Buddy Eric and I drove out from Dallas to Santa Fe in his Ram Thursday. Spent the night, picked up a dolly in the morning and headed to Matt's to load up. We were loaded up by 10 AM, with parts in the truck and in the cars. Matt was super cool! His UniMog project seems better suited to the area. LOL

I drove the 83 on the way back, on the flat land and heading down hill back to Texas I was getting 40MPG! The clutch started slipping after we passed through Quana, but only a little. Made it back to Allen around 10 PM. Then spent first half of Sat getting them all to fit in the garage.

I'm the Fluffy guy, Matts the tall one.

Congrats! Looks like you'll be knee deep in Bertone stuff for years to come. Very cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today we hooked up the heater core hoses and put coolant in the system only to find coolant poured out from the bottom of the carb. So we spent some time trying to figure out what hose connects there with no success, so we'll be back at it tomorrow.

It lives!!

Today we figured out why the car was not getting spark. The jumper wire for the points at the coil was broken. There was a jumper installed by the previous owner, so we hooked that up and got spark. After cranking the engine twice, it started right up!! There's still things to tweak on the green beastie that has been sitting for the past 17 years, but it's nice to know it will soon be on the road.

Cleaned out the 74

Well after getting this new purchase home, went around and took "as-found" pictures. Identified a few more rust issues, but nothing major. Found a little bigger hole in the drivers floor area.
Vacuumed out the crap, put oil sorb in the rear trunk since the previous owner saw fit to put a half of container of oil in it with the cap loose...people are just amazing.
Found the tool kit and jack, which was buried under a bunch of trash.... Still amazed the seats are as nice as they are.
Need a new ignition switch since a previous knuckle head couldn't wait for the keys...broken dash panel under the steering wheel..

Think it will be a fun project...not quick but a journey...:mallet:
Glen

Installed hte MWB Konis on my 85

I took the KYBs off the 85 tonight:

and replaced them with a new set of Midwest-Bayless Koni single adjustable coil overs:

You can't really tell, but I put a set of Mark Plaia's Bigfoot plates and strut top mounts on with these new coil overs:

I am getting old. This wasn't especially hard, but I am feeling pretty tired. :(

Next I need to redo the brakes and then put in one of Bob's aluminum rads.

Back