What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Brake lights

Spent some time tracking down brake light problem.. Have power to back of light assembly but I think connection inside it is broken on both sides.. new bulbs just not working...:( Well have to get new accelerator cable first before I get her on the road.. Fix the brakes, new tires, new weatherstripping, and a couple other small things.. :):)

Trim removal

Revmoved side trim from car, like the look better... I would geuss the stainless pieces were dealer added... Like it but not going back on..

Got mine started with the 35-75 cam. Adjusted ignition timing and set high idle to break in the cam. After 10-20 minutes of sitting at 1500 rpm, the temperature gauge started creeping above the 190 mark. I should mention I drained the coolant from the block drain to minimize leaking from the timing belt tensioner stud. I think I drained about 3 gallons out that way, but I poured two gallons in to refill, and that filled the reservoir to the top. Duh, I thought later; of course the thermostat has to open for the coolant to go anywhere. Anyway, when I ran the car today, the coolant level never went down, except for when briefly coolant poured out of the vent tube. I feel I must have done something wrong, the car has never been above 1 mark over 190 during my ownership, and suddenly it starts getting way hot. The thermostat shouldn't be bad, unless it failed in the 20 minutes since starting the car with the new cam. I can't think of anything else that would be causing the car to get so hot. It is running rich at idle, and apart from being way advanced when I started it, it was at 10* advance ignition timing after adjustment. The coolant must be stuck in the reservoir, I just can't figure out why. Is there something I am forgetting? I did burp the radiator, and it poured out fluid. Could I maybe have overfilled the reservoir? I don't see how that would cause higher temps, but I don't know what else would. How much coolant should have drained from the valve in the block with the car raised pretty much level? I hope someone has been here before.

Wow, more pictures please!!

What are the suction cups. How about the paint, lets see all of it.
Bob
edit, ok I see they are vents, the clear part is the closure. How about the sail panel, it looks modified. Can we see more pictures.??

Last edited:
Top 2

Really wanted the lines of the sail panel through the top (a la Saratoga). Wanted the aviation style "press vents" and the antenna is for the police scanner/radio.

The top is the original fiberglas modded a bit, the overhang spoiler is actually all original material. Kinda shoes you how much useless crap is on the original. Paint is to match the rest of the car...

My son Max and I just made the 1000 mile trip to and from Bonneville in her for speed week. This car loves to cruise * 4200-4500 RPMs...comfortably in the low 80's. This 74 has a 1500 balanced, light flywheel, Delta A400 cam, PBS header and flowmaster freeflow exhaust, moderate head work, Dual 40's and electronic ignition with a cam mounted dizzy. Also dropped in a 5 speed from a '79. Just mounted the new Momo a couple nights ago. Nothing spectacular, but all Italian!

1. Finished adhering vinyl to drivers side door card--pics to follow
2. Found most of the missing hardware, the armrests, trim, etc hiding in the shed.
3. Ran the wiring on driver's side for door card cabin lights-- already have the festoon LEDs
4. Passenger side wires on Sunday?
5. Replaced door open limiter on drivers side.
6. Final assembly of new panels and lighting this week.

Yeah. My interior will be complete again.

89 Bertone

Two days: Cleaned some more of the grease, oil and accumulated dirt from PO 16 years of shop servicing. Looks like I have got the last of it.
Repaired the damaged sump plug where it had been undone using a centre punch instead of an Allen key. This deformed the sealing face and left it leaking past the Aluminium gasket washer. Replaced the aluminium gasket with a Teflon one to assist seal. Leak fixed.
Tightened the Oil filter. It was leaking too. Leak fixed. Tightened the sump bolts, got 1/2 a turn on each. Tightened the rocker cover. Two leaks fixed. Tightened the cover plate on the unused mechanical fuel pump hole. Checked the oil pressure switch for leaks. Looked like the only leak is from inside the cap, oil that had accumulated inside was now running out but not coming from the switch after it was cleaned.
Replaced both rubber boots on the shifter rod.
Noticed that a number of the infill panels are missing under the car. Now begins the search to find replacements. I think I have one for the left hand side in my stash, that leaves three plus screws to find.
Lifted the fuel pump up on its support as the lack of panels meant the fuel hose is hanging down.
Finally took it for a run and put it up on a mates hoist as I had been working from ramps. Noticed a few more dings I hadn't seen before. PO son had put it over a traffic island, curb and into a garden bed.

Need to knock the floor back out and restore the Jacking points.

Original Bertone wheel arrived from Henk today. It will be kept for a later date when a few other items are repaired.

Look what mr FedEx dropped off today...

I know WHAT I will be putting on the X tonight (this one and 3 others just like it...)

IMG_00043.jpg

couple things

I think my brake light sockets are bad have power to back but alas no brake lights... But I am trying fix her nose needs some rhinoplasty.. And getting trim holes filled in..

Back