What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Got broken into Sat night.
They stole the stereo front started messing with ignition wires and just wen't through everything.
At least they didn't get the car but now the stereo is useless.

Spent the weekend fitting relay circuits to the wipers and electric windows. I used Bob Brown's brilliant circuits. The whole thing was hassle free, and now my wipers and windows work better than ever!

Also fitted Tarox Sport Japan discs up front, and some EBC Greenstuff pads both front and rear. This has made a huge difference. The fronts were not an easy fit due to the thickness of the pads. I had to work hard to get the pistons so far back into the callipers!

Did you cut the front springs? I did the same setup but wound up sitting 1.5 in higher. I notice on vicks site they now mention cutting the springs

No, I did not cut the springs. Frankly, in my pursuit of balanced performance and drivability, I think my suspension was at the borderline of being too low with the (I'm sure) saggy springs it had. If the roads around here weren't as terribly paved, and if some of the speed bumps weren't seriously tall, I would go lower, but I don't even want to have to worry about scraping. I still haven't put the car on the ground yet to see the difference, that won't happen until I get my new cam in and probably replace all the motor mounts.

Finally installed my 38mm rear calipers and hopefully fixed my last significant oil leak but not before it ruined my rear radiator hoses.

Been a While

I've been over at Swedespeed trying to figure out trans problems in my 02 xc70,turned out to be just software updates and drain/fill :). however during that time I was having my wheels powder-coated/new tires,suspension bits and taking advantage of a "Extended Warranty" from dad and got a whole engine rebuild Wooo-Hooo! This is the only part of the car that's been "Sponsored by Parents" (albeit a big part) however everything else I've paid for myself or have been extremely generous.
That aside I got the engine back 2 days ago and were having a neighbor of ours who was a Fiat Dealer head mechanic help us button up everything and should be on the road for the end of summer!

Changed the oil

and filter. There was nary a drop of leaked oil before the change and the same after the change. I have been fighting oil leaks and I think I won.:)

Wing mock-up

Finally started to put together a plan to finish the wing today . Took me a year to get it from the Dallara fab folks in Italy...I guess if I don't put it on soon I'll lose interest. I'll have it ready for the Concorso Italiano in Seca this year (Aug). Anyone else going? George? We gotta get these two together!

Last edited:
I didn't touch my X1/9....

but I did spend about 45 minutes behind the wheel of his bigger, younger cousin.

Fiercely fast, but nowhere near as agile as an X. It felt big and heavy.

Pete

couple things

pulled fuel sending unit, found float full of fuel drained and sealed it for now to see if it worked....It did, now know i have have half a tank... I think if I got accel. cable replaced its hanging up and brakes gone through I might be able to get her on the road....

Got my bumper off

So far without taking off the front of the corsa kit. Now to reapply the new bumper! Onward...

Stripped the nose...

...back to the metal. Found some small but dodgy repairs with surface rust underneath.

Chemically treating it before some filler and primer goes on.

Drove it...

Drove the Race X today. Warmed it up and did some speed tests. Pretty much the tires spin in all gears through 60 mph. I had trouble with the timer so data yet. Next time.
I Really have not driven more than 1 mile from the garage yet. Last month I installed the intercooler and radiator assembly and fixed the ignition problem ( speedo feed was shutting down the ignition when 5,500 rpm was exceeded). Still needs dyno testing but I expect it is at 300 + HP.

Bob, would you mind sharing more info about this car - engine, suspension setup, etc.? Sorry, not familiar with it, but looks and sounds awesome.

(or, thinking about it, is this the car with the Honda motor that belonged to the gentleman that passed away in a surfing accident?)

Drove the Race X today. Warmed it up and did some speed tests. Pretty much the tires spin in all gears through 60 mph. I had trouble with the timer so data yet. Next time.
I Really have not driven more than 1 mile from the garage yet. Last month I installed the intercooler and radiator assembly and fixed the ignition problem ( speedo feed was shutting down the ignition when 5,500 rpm was exceeded). Still needs dyno testing but I expect it is at 300 + HP.

Race X info, more info here

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/17868/

Car was apart when I purchased, so assembly and fixing some issues were in order. Not really a street car but it is legal. It is a fully gutted chassis with a roll cage and a supercharged K-20. G-force Koni struts and larger brakes all around. The windshield was cut to 6 inches when I purchased it so I re-installed the windshield and top.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Barfed!

Well not today, over the weekend.

Drove 830 miles in my 86 X. Car hummed right along, averaged better than 30 MPG. Attended the Bay Area Running of the Fiats (B.A.R.F.) Met Denise Burchette, and ate yummy Oysters!
Hung out with some Great Fiat Friends in the Bay area!

74/79 center console

Finally finished my center console on the 74. Used all the 79 style switches to match what I had already done. This also includes my new "stick" and the carbon fibre panels and aircraft vents. Awaiting delivery of a new steering wheel to match al the suede junk.

Last edited:
A busy day here too! New lower engine mount, both shift boots, and even a new shift rod seal. All installed today! My new steering rack is somewhere in customs though according to Vick. :-(

I am using an old gauge cluster to make a set with the tach inset next to the speedo. I would love to use '87 style gauge faces, but I can't find any with CCW tach.

Can anyone help me out here?

308slegs- I have 3 spare gauge clusters. One may well be what you are looking for. I'll have to go and take a look at them to refresh memory of what styles they are, but I think I might have three different styles.

Nothing exciting, just drove them

Drove orange car into work yesterday... Leaving the parking lot at the end of the day, someone wandered over, asked me what kind of car it was and how old, I said "Fiat X1/9, '74", he said "Wow - I bet there's not another one that old in the state!"... My sig will explain why I found myself laughing uncontrollably :)

White car into work today... On the way home, tooling along in the commuter traffic on the interstate, a very new black 911 passes me in the left-hand lane.... Then suddenly flashes brake lights, drops back alongside me... Window goes down (yeah, these pampered modern drivers have air-conditioning)... Woman in the passenger seat shouts "What kind of car is that?", I shout back "Fiat X1/9, '74", I get a big smile and a big thumbs-up.

Back