Actual alternative motor possibilities?

ricar

True Classic
I know there are several threads on various engines but finding a thread that discuses pluses and minuses of various engine choices seems elusive. All the threads I find end up focused on a single lump.

I am considering an engine swap, probably not soon but.... and I know other people are in the same boat. It seems my biggest problem is living in Canada, finding donors is a challenge. Civic SI-Rs command decent money, a couple grand for one running. In the States these things seem to fall out of apple trees compared to us up here.

So Euro engines are off the table for me, I'm looking for something that is more common. Mr2s are NOT common nor are they cheap, Acura GSRs are not cheap...

To toss in another wrench, I am not happy with the amount of cutting the K20 requires. It is still on the table but I am hoping for something more subtle. Apparently the ecotec engine comes in a tighter package. I personally am hoping for at least 130HP, maybe something I can massage to bump up to 150, but for me it's more about being able to rail on a modern trans over the finesse the stock trans requires.

I would personally like to keep the stock lump and trans and perhaps rebuild it over time and maybe someday reinstall it but that may not happen.

Also the Honda F it engine has been thrown around. How viable would that be? It's a more modern car with most likely more electronics, how much hassle would that be?

Since you are open to all possibilities, maybe the proper approach is to first define how much hp or torque you want, drivability you want and planned use of the car. Maybe a 1.9 conversion for your block with a nice compression bump along with good intake and exhaust would give you what you want.

I know there are several threads on various engines but finding a thread that discuses pluses and minuses of various engine choices seems elusive. All the threads I find end up focused on a single lump.

I am considering an engine swap, probably not soon but.... and I know other people are in the same boat. It seems my biggest problem is living in Canada, finding donors is a challenge. Civic SI-Rs command decent money, a couple grand for one running. In the States these things seem to fall out of apple trees compared to us up here.

Yes there are a number of threads and you can find a fair number of them under the Best of Xweb thread, I need to go through and find more and apply proper tags. I believe DrJeff has created one in the past which tries to get at this issue. Yes it does keep coming back to some similar engines due to availability and what is available that meets the specs we all have/want and there for the same things keep coming up.

Some of the engines come from running cars, others come from junk yards and others from engine recycler’s who harvest Japanese cars when they can no longer be or people in Japan are no longer interested in getting them inspected (this is why you see Kei cars in Canada etc).

So Euro engines are off the table for me, I'm looking for something that is more common. Mr2s are NOT common nor are they cheap, Acura GSRs are not cheap...

In general Euro engines are difficult for us in North America due to general availability, finding it and the difficulty of shipping just one largish heavy object over the sea. Some have done it or done it in pieces to add to an engine already available here and marry the parts.

MR2 and Acura cars are not cheap here either and becoming more rare but young folks seem to be good at stuffing them and then the cars are much cheaper. Many of the engines ‘from’ these cars are gotten from Japanese market harvesters of which Craigslist is rife with ads for these companies.

Understand that a engine swap is around a 10k USD endeavor between buying the engine and then getting all the parts made/bought to make the swap. And that is a bare bones number, some have gone to a much higher number depending on how much the owner has had to rely on others to do the work.

To toss in another wrench, I am not happy with the amount of cutting the K20 requires. It is still on the table but I am hoping for something more subtle. Apparently the ecotec engine comes in a tighter package. I personally am hoping for at least 130HP, maybe something I can massage to bump up to 150, but for me it's more about being able to rail on a modern trans over the finesse the stock trans requires.

I am with you here but my observation so far is that all of them have tradeoffs in terms of what is lost from the X in regards to the rear trunk, the engine compartment structural ring etc. There is no perfect engine that fits aside from a SOHC Fiat engine.

With that said, there is a member here who has a 1.9l Fiat SOHC engine kit for sale at a reasonable price, all up it will be a 5K spend to build it (likely) and will drop right into the car with negligible modifications and once you did that you would never go back as the torque and output would spoil you for the original lump. The ad for it is here: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....troke-crank-and-1-6-punto-block-anyone.37393/ Kent is a standup guy and I would not hesitate to buy from him, he has this engine in his X and it looks great.

As you know there is an Ecotec install on the board, it is a hoary beast and an amazing build.

No trans likes hard, fast shifts and aside from a LS install you are not going to beat a Camaro or Corvette off the line anyway (700hp anyone??). They may take it for a while but slamming a gearshift around on any car is a recipe for a future rebuild.

A possible thing to think about, is there a transmission which could be adapted to work with a Fiat SOHC engine? Perhaps the various Getrags which are bolted to the different Ecotec family of engines, come in 5 and 6 speed and are intended for engines which have similar output to the Fiat SOHC? Machining a new bolt ring to accommodate the different bolt circles and then welding it onto the bell house is a real possibility or making an intermediary adapter to marry the two. Expect to make new drive shafts at @500 and you could be into a new transmission for a bit over a thousand all in.

I would personally like to keep the stock lump and trans and perhaps rebuild it over time and maybe someday reinstall it but that may not happen.

See above about the 1.9 Fiat SOHC

Also the Honda F it engine has been thrown around. How viable would that be? It's a more modern car with most likely more electronics, how much hassle would that be?

This all depends on what software management can be found in the aftermarket from Hondata or others. It’s not exactly a performance engine and this gets us into another bit of territory.

What is an appropriate engine for an X? What engines support the character of the car?

Most modern engines are built for more torque and less high end with the obvious exceptions.

I would argue the engines most likely, small displacement, long stroke, @110-130 hp, are in large measure intended for slushboxes in econobox cars that rarely get redlined (at 6200) by anyone but the teenage son stuck with one of these penalty box cars. This includes the majority of the Ecotec engines, Hyundai, Honda, etc

For me the list of possible donors which I feel are in the ballpark of the ‘right character’ engine are:
Suzuki G13B 1300 twin cam with the OE forged crank and massaged to get the 130 hp (very doable) or more with a turbo which these engines. This is a small lightweight engine which wants to be a 70s Fiat engine. Suzuki Swift GTI. I don’t care as much for the later larger displacement versions of this engine.
Toyota 4A-GE Blue, Red Silver or Black top family MR2. A bit heavy.
Toyota 2ZZ GE (my current favorite which I need to do more investigation of) available in Toyota Matrix’s, Pontiac Vibes and the last Celica. Aluminum and rev happy. And then some.
Honda B series 1.6-1.8 liter twin cams
Honda K20 in it’s various guises
Mazda B twin cam series engines and near relatives from the 323, Capri, Miata, Kia a bit heavy but does the right things.
Mazda KZ V6 (ok I went a bit far but it is a great engine and it might fit but clearly fails the cutting test :) )
Fiat SOHC 1.6, 1.9 or Uno Turbo engine
Fiat Air Turbo, you just need to be a friend of another Ontario X owner. Like a really good friend.

None of these will be simple, cheap or a slam dunk to do. The car will be unlikely to be unscathed in the process.

On that list there are engines which will require more or less cutting, modifying of the car and the engine package. Regardless there will be a pile of issues to solve: coolant plumbing, fuel system plumbing, electrical modification, intake modification, exhaust creation, axle changes and not least upgrading the suspension and the braking system of the X.

None of this will be fast or cheap and all will require some serious creativity. Look at the mod threads that show the details the builder has worked through to get to a solution. Most of the builders gloss over all the little details of how it is done, those who take us along really highlight just how difficult it is and how much incredible craft is needed to to get to a successful endpoint.

I am sure others have alternate views but this is the landscape and the lens I tend to think about around this subject.

Good luck.

Karl

Although I have no intent on doing a engine swap, I have looked into it for several reasons. I completely agree that getting a more durable transmission as part of the swap is one of those reasons. Even if it isn't able to do full drag strip launches or massive burnout drifts, it will be a thousand times more robust than the stock Fiat unit. The other primary reason (to me) would be getting the most 'bang for the buck'. By that I mean having 150 HP, plus lots of torque, while being very reliable/durable/dependable, and affordable. In my opinion a fully built Fiat SOHC is none of those things. Plus the Honda will be much more efficient if fuel consumption or emissions are of any value to you. True, modern engines are designed for more torque and less high RPM peak performance, but to me that is a good thing. For a street car (and all of my comments pertain to a street driven car, not a track/racer), torque is much more advantageous than peak HP (again, in my opinion).

As to the cost issue, that seems to come down to a couple of things. The initial choice of engine/trans (the point of your initial post), the difficulty of installation (degree of modification and additional parts required), and the overall performance goals you intend to achieve.

The cost of the engine/trans will depend largely on it availability and demand. K20 Hondas for example are expensive, as are several other choices. But there are good options (once again, in my opinion), such as the B series Honda. Given the sheer number of them, they should be in good supply pretty much anywhere and they are cheap. I'd look for a complete running car. That will get you almost everything you need to do the swap (more on that in a minute). And used Hondas are everywhere for next to nothing - you can get the whole car for the same money as just the engine.
Does a B-Honda meet your performance goals? You mentioned 130-150 HP - definitely within the capability without any serious modifications. And if you want more, there is a huge aftermarket industry that allows you to build up to the 500-600 HP level. But staying around 150 HP is cheap and very reliable (try getting either of those with a SOHC).
How about the installation? Several X owners have done it so there is plenty of experience/knowledge to follow (something a lot of the other swap choices do not have - aside from the K-Honda). And they have been quite successful. From everything I found, the B-Honda engine is actually much easier to swap into the X than the K-Honda or several other options. And it requires relatively little modification (unlike the K). If you choose the right model of Honda as your donor, then you will get the type of shift linkage that is easy to adapt to the X, the type of clutch mechanism that is easy to adapt, the right spec engine and trans, the right electronics, etc, etc....all for little money (plus you can sell off the remains to the Honda crowd). For the most part the only real expense will be modifying the axle shafts to fit the Honda and Fiat components - around $300 (USD) I believe. It requires a little cutting in the X's engine bay, but not anything excessive - and certainly nothing like most of the other swaps require.

I've focused on one option here, there are others. But from what I've read this seems the most practical choice to me. In another discussion I went through the cost and requirements to do a B-Honda swap (you'll be surprised at how inexpensive it is in comparison to any other swap I know of). It was MUCH less expensive than building a performance Fiat SOHC. The Honda trans have been very robust for the Honda-car builders, as have built engines. So with the cost, difficulty and performance factored in, it is very tempting. Why am I not doing it? Simply put, I would have if I'd known then what I know now. In my case I opted to turn the stock X1/9 engine into a turbo engine. I want to build it as affordably, simply, and reliably as possible (a very difficult task). So I got a used exhaust manifold and turbo from a Fiat UnoTurbo (Euro model only) and began assembling all of the required components. It is still in progress but has already proven to cost more, and require more work, than I anticipated (however so far it's still less than building a performance SOHC). I could have done the B-Honda swap and achieved more performance and reliability, with a much better transmission (I will still have a stock X unit), for the same or less money and work.

I am not familiar with the car market in Canada, but I assume there are plenty of older used Hondas (here the "Civic" is a good donor choice). I'm also not that familiar with Hondas per se, so I'm mostly going off the knowledge of those that are plus some online reading. There are some really good write ups on dong the B-Honda swap. A few of our members have accomplished it and seem to agree with my assessments (or I should say I agree with their assessments). I may have some links if you don't find them. And please let us know what you discover about other options.

How about a CAT diesel? Not real fast, but you can probably pull stumps. :)

Attachments

• X_with_28hp_CAT_diesel_swap.JPG
    X_with_28hp_CAT_diesel_swap.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 239
How about a CAT diesel?
Jim, I was just thinking about this recently. I recalled the old post (by you?) about it. My thoughts at the time were about X1/9 builds specifically aimed at maximum fuel economy. I don't think there have been many such projects mentioned on the forum. We have a couple electric powered X's, which certainly qualify. But any with small, ultra economical engines? That little diesel would have enough torque to make the car drivable around town, but not sure if it has the power to be reasonable on the freeways. I'd love to see a "hypermile" X1/9; very light weight, very aerodynamic, geared for low RPM's (not the X trans unfortunately), small torquey engine. Something like the Japanese Kei cars.

Or a small 3-cylinder gasoline engine, offered in some US imported vehicles. One example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Mitsu...098172?hash=item3411fd157c:g:1QAAAOSw9yZdZYMj

The 1.4L GM DOHC (Cruze and others) have a lot of aftermarket support. I don't know how they compare to the 500 engine in external size but they do have a normal valvetrain and are port injected.
Might be a good candidate for a full Megasquirt ECU conversion or use a stock but reprogrammed ECU.

Has anyone looked into the new Fiat 500? I'm sure someone must have. I have not had the opportunity to look under the hood of one.

I had originally looked into the B series, simply based on availability and the crazy Honda support. I was told however (by a reliable source but I'm not name dropping) that it was all wrong for the X and would require more cutting than the K series. My old 99 Civic had no complaints about my bouncing off the rev limiter during a couple missed shifts nor did I ever have an issue with the trans. The Fiat gears are sloppy and don't offer near the confidence, I'd hate to try to go from 2nd to third in a hurry, an issue I never had with the Honda.

Now I hear that it is a reasonable option and I am hopefully confused.

Has anyone looked into the new Fiat 500? I'm sure someone must have. I have not had the opportunity to look under the hood of one.

I had originally looked into the B series, simply based on availability and the crazy Honda support. I was told however (by a reliable source but I'm not name dropping) that it was all wrong for the X and would require more cutting than the K series. My old 99 Civic had no complaints about my bouncing off the rev limiter during a couple missed shifts nor did I ever have an issue with the trans. The Fiat gears are sloppy and don't offer near the confidence, I'd hate to try to go from 2nd to third in a hurry, an issue I never had with the Honda.

Now I hear that it is a reasonable option and I am hopefully confused.

http://autox19.com/b16/?page=1
And then there is Odie’s car which is hard to miss, https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/looking-for-more-info-on-honda-b16-18-swap.33283/
http://autox19.com/blog/index.php/2017/11/18/fiat-x19-honda-b-series-b16b18-rough-guide/

Has anyone looked into the new Fiat 500? I'm sure someone must have.
TonyK is working on his second 500 Abarth swap, see this thread. For the K20 swap, Midwest-Bayless has done a lot of the hard work for you with their swap kit. With TonyK's Abarth swaps, he had to figure everything out on his own, including dealing with an ECU that relies on a lot of sensors the X1/9 does not have. Not for the faint of heart, for sure.

I figured that would be an issue with the new 500. It seems the older you can go the easier. I'm almost wondering if it would be worth trying to find an old carb'd Honda engine.

+1 for the Ecotec platform... I worked for Honda of North America. Honestly? I would'nt put that crap in my lawnmower. Get em hot one time and you'll be doin a head resurface the next day not to mention EGR and IAC problems.

This is what you need to start with if you choose the Eco...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-03-04...767036?hash=item3fc5a382bc:g:ZeQAAOSw9C5cZxKX

Get you a set of H beams, some Wiseco forged pistons 8:9.1. Comp cams turbo cams and your ready for up to 500 hp on a stock block and crank. Doubt the X would stay together for very long with that kinda power though, but it's there for the takin.

A few more odd's and ends like a gt28 "disco potato" turbo, custom turbo manifold, some Ford GT500 42lb/440cc injectors, Corvette 255lph pump, Saab turbo intake, Audi Intercooler of choice, MR2 shift box, VW Type 2 C/V's, CBM engine harness, custom axle shafts and a few more things I can't recall at the moment. You get the point.

I'ts a hodgepodge, but the components play pretty good together. Being a "speed density" system allows for much easier engine calibrations. HP Tuners or EFI Live are both very good tuning tools.

Then get a Getrag f-23. Either open or LSD diff. Gear ratios are superb with a turbo power plant. Pulls well throughout the gears.

With the right internals and setup, a good tune with HP Tuners, this little turd ball will make 350+ hp all day long. The only mechanical failure to date on my two setups was a valve retainer failure, I neglected to replaced the keepers with hardened units and stronger springs and thus floated and then dropped a valve. Detonated beyond repair. Ain't gonna happen again.

Other than that, my VW with its 2.4 VVT Ecotec and my X with it's 2.2 Ecotec Turbo have preformed very well. My NA VW puts out about 192hp. My 2.2 closer to 300hp on 7/8 psi of boost. When fully tuned with 10/12psi, around 340hp. Parts are dirt cheap and there are thousands of these motors out there. I ain't gonna lie, it does take some imagination to get it all play nice, but when it does, it does!

:cool:

Last edited:
the B series, simply based on availability and the crazy Honda support. I was told however (by a reliable source but I'm not name dropping) that it was all wrong for the X and would require more cutting than the K series.
If you review some of the threads that cover doing a B-series swap I think you will find that isn't the case. I have not done it so I can only go by what those who have say about it. In the threads for both B and K swaps there are good photos showing that there is significantly less modification required for the B vs the K. The cost of the K conversion kit alone is much greater than doing a complete B swap. In one of the threads linked earlier the costs for doing either swap was discussed...huge difference. I suppose it depends if you are more interested in extreme power (300+) or build cost. But given that you are already familiar with the Honda B-series I'd think it would be much easier for you.

There are some other great candidates mentioned here as well. Try to read as many of the related threads as possible.

Stingray’s build thread is a fascinating and tremendously instructive thread. He really had his work cut out for him based on the car he bought but pushed through. It is a beautiful car with an engine install that is incredibly sanitary. Lots of lessons to be learned from his work and his car goes like a scalded cat.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/alternative-engine-swaps.29427/ Ignore the gaps in the story, there is a lot there as you get into it.

As someone who HAS, and is DRIVING a B Swap. Here is the truth on the B swap. It requires FAR less cutting. one approx 6 inch long x 1 inch high notch in the lower passenger side frame rail for the end of the trans to clear. One approx 3x4xx.5 notch where I put in the drivers side motor mount. The rear trunk divider will have to be trimmed up to allow the intake to poke through. Mine I didnt care about the trunk so I removed it all. BUT it does not have to be and can just be trimmed and the trunk will be 99.6% the same size as before. COST. here is bare bones. you need a B series engine and transmission. they range anywhere from $600 (b20 non vtec) to 3500 JDM b18 typeR with LSD. I have a bare bones JDM B16a that I bought still inside a honda for ~1700. sold stripped the engine trans and wiring and sold the car for 700. Custom Shafts. I went a little far out and got driveshaftshop shafts for $600. I am sure a shop can spline new ones up cheaper. Wiring. you have the harness right there, Start wiring. I hate wiring so gave up after a couple days and bought a harness for $600 from Rywire. Shifter. If your transmission is rod shifted, which is the cheapest, you can extend the rod back and it will work fine. I am using a cable shifter to shift the rod transmission.. my "conversion" cost $12 metal. I have a cable clutch transmission. $100 for a hydro to cable conversion. NO intake modifications needed other than a autozone or ebay cheapy air filer. it is EASIER, bot not needed, to have metal, not aluminum after market motor mounts for the b.
DONE.
So to the Bull puckey controversy. (all in my opinion)
Why Is the K a better swap?
  • more NA power for the weight (k's and B's weight is about the same, the largest difference I could find was about 13 lbs) Where the B runs out of NA steam is where some K's are STOCK.
  • they look "right" in the engine bay. Beautiful. Period
  • engine is on the same side as stock X. purely aesthetic as the engine/trans should be balanced anyway.
  • exhaust isnt right next to the fuel tank
  • Engine use newer tech. If the B was better, Honda would have never changed.
Why is the B Better? (Again in My opinion)
  • Less expensive
  • Less expensive accessories and MANY options
  • To me, the high RPM (my redline is set at 8500) reminds me of the 1300. K's dont sound as buzzy to me. (again opinion)
  • Easy to boost inexpensively to get a reliable 300 WHP (many google searches on "reliable b turbo)
  • stock B16 is 160 bhp which is ~ double the X Stock.
  • Can be done very easily without a kit needed. from the threads, I would say less work is needed for the B swap without a kit than is needed for the K with the kit.

That is all for now.
the final wording I have for this replay is I love all variances of X 19's. Stock, modified (nothing like an X sound with dual webers) Love the K swap. Love my B swap. Love the ecotec swap. ok, I dont like the tornado white abomination swap. But love them all. love the time and effort people put it. People who talk to me know I am who I am not afraid to post my opinion. not afraid to post when I am wrong. I have also hear that some people say the B "is not right" but wont give me any reason why it isnt "right".

Odie

[/QUOTE]
Stingray’s build thread is a fascinating and tremendously instructive thread. He really had his work cut out for him based on the car he bought but pushed through. It is a beautiful car with an engine install that is incredibly sanitary. Lots of lessons to be learned from his work and his car goes like a scalded cat.

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/alternative-engine-swaps.29427/ Ignore the gaps in the story, there is a lot there as you get into it.

Last time I looked at Stingray's thread, he had deleted a lot of early posts that presumably showed in detail the necessary chassis mods/fab needed for the Ecotec. Have they been restored?

COST. here is bare bones.
I don't mean to beat this to death, but want to add one thought about the cost. Engine swaps are expensive no matter what you do, as is building a performance SOHC Fiat engine. IF cost is a factor, and you want more performance, then I think the B-Honda is the most bang for the buck. Much less than any other option (including a hot SOHC) that I have heard about. In another discussion I looked at the cost breakdown that Odie gave (as in his earlier post here), and thought how it could be done as inexpensively as possible. I spent time searching ads online for used Hondas, read about the various models and what they come with, looked into some options based on his (and others) experience, and proced various components and options. Here is what I said in that other discussion (edited for space):

"It seems to me a 'basic' B-series swap could be done very reasonably (both in terms of expense and 'doability'). Looking at Odie's excellent post with his costs. If you start with a complete Honda ('B' engine) car, and used the stock electronics, wiring, shifter, etc, etc, from it (assuming you chose the right year/model to get the preferred components*), about $2000 (or less) for a complete running/driving car. Then the additional build costs would mainly be the axle-shaft modification (others have had the axles resplined for about $300), and misc metal/small parts ($300-500)....say under $1000. And the total should be under $3000. Naturally you can go anywhere from there with performance mods, upgrades, rebuilds, etc. But you could also resell what's left of the Honda car (-$500) and sell the Fiat engine/trans (-$200), and the total could be under $2500....possibly even $2000 on the low side. That is also assuming you have basic fabrication skills, but I can't imagine considering an engine swap if you don't (unless you have more money than skills and pay someone to do it). The stock B has considerably more power than the Fiat engine (double), and the Honda trans is also far superior to the Fiat unit. The B swap costs roughly about the same as a stock rebuild of the Fiat engine and trans, let alone a performance build."

*Regarding the choice of donor vehicle. As Odie mentioned the shifter has a couple options. As I understand, some years of these Hondas came with a cable type shift mechanism that has been adapted to the X with little modification and little added cost. The other item mentioned was converting the clutch to hydraulic to avoid having to route a long cable. Again, some Honda models came with a hydraulic clutch, making that also easy and inexpensive to adapt. Off hand I do not recall exactly which years of Civics had those options but Honda people can tell you.

Back