Electric fuel pump

shaun wyatt

Daily Driver
Hi,has anybody fitted a electric fuel pump, i have a 1500 1987 carb model and if anybody has a diagram of the set up and what pump to use i would be very grateful.

Thanks very much Shaun

Did you have a mechanical pump before? You can leave the mech. pump on and just reroute the lines, or remove the pump and find a block off plate. Some people run elec. pumps wired to the oil press. switch so the pump will shut off if there is a lack of pressure.
Keep the pump low in the chassis so it pulls the gas better.
Low pressure cube style pumps work fine and are inexpensive. Less then 6 lbs. pressure needed for most weber carbs.

Hi rachaeljf

Yes that looked great,i have never done anything like this before and i am on a bit of a tight budget at the moment but that looks like something i could tackle with a bit of help

Thanks Shaun

Here is a sketch for wiring of an electric fuel pump with oil pressure cut-out. This should give you an idea what to do. If you do use a Facet "bang bang" pump, make sure you rubber mount it so the noise doesn't drive you round the bend!

Here is a sketch for wiring of an electric fuel pump with oil pressure cut-out.

Looks good, although for most carb setups I'd think that the "on while cranking" bit shouldn't be optional... A lot of carbs out there that won't hold their prime.

If you're using an inertia switch, you'd also delete the direct fuel pump to earth line, right?

Yes, I'd hoped that was reasonably obvious! I didn't want to complicate the sketch too much! Yes, the inertia switch circuit would replace the plain earth wire.

Should add that you're quite right Eric - given the heat soak problems we suffer, the on-while-cranking option probably is a must.

Last edited:
Saw your link on the other forum. I've heard those little cube pumps are a bit unreliable, but others might know otherwise.

I ran one for years

Saw your link on the other forum. I've heard those little cube pumps are a bit unreliable, but others might know otherwise.

On my Scorpion before it went to FI. Never had a problem with it. I think the brand name was "Facet". I still have it laying around somewhere, but shipping to the UK would probably be prohibitively expensive if it was wanted.

Pete

No worries, glad to be able to help :) - I don't post in the other forum any more, so be sure to stick with Xweb!

The regulator will work, but with the little solid state pump I don't think you will need it. The bigger Facet bang-bang pumps like Andrew Punter's are a bit too much for the carb's needle valve so they do need the regulator.

For what it's worth, if you are on a budget you might consider sourcing an electric pump from a scrapper. Just look for a car with carburetors. I have a pump from an older (80's) Subaru that I have had for years - it's a good quality pump and I only use it to transfer gasoline when I need to drop a fuel tank or do other work. It's always been a reliable little unit. A wrecking yard here charges almost nothing for a low pressure fuel pump and for an extra buck will actually warrant it for 30 days. An added advantage would be the rubber mounting and some lines and wiring.

Another thing - the little Subaru pump I have has a built in regulator -- it clicks until it builds pressure and shuts off. The "cube" unit on my X runs continuously, but it doesn't build enough pressure that I have needed a regulator.

Good luck to you!

Mike

Back