What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Very cool Mike. (pun intended)
Now I know what the generator's for. :)
You should try to keep the toilet/shower in there for travel. :fart:

Car fits in there with all the amenities! It has a 8x15 "garage" and the bed comes down from the ceiling.

exlwZNpdj

idEXzQlbj

If you can't work in the garage, bring your work in doors!

Finalized my first transmission removal and install today. Replaced the clutch and installed a lightened flywheel. Final step was to adjust the clutch. Everything is working nicely. No more squeaky clutch padel was a bonus. Proud of my self. Now a victory beer.
Cheers!

Chiseled and drilled stock rails of a seat and used to install my new bucket. Passenger next.
IMG_20150313_215250_zps47lb0end.jpg

IMG_20150313_215319_zpseykh4jdl.jpg

Last edited:
Paint

Nothing today, but yesterday I drove her around and got 2 quotes for surface rust removal (primarily in frunk), chip repair, and a complete paint job for my 81X. Quotes ranged from $4,500 (local auto body shop, excellent rep, lifetime warranty on the paint) to $3,000 (Maaco, 4 year warranty) for their "Premium Maacover." Considering the large difference in price, I'll likely go with Maaco. I will have to remove the bumpers, etc because that's not included in the service. Anyone have good/bad experiences with Maaco?

-Sloovis

I would go with the local shop.

Likely better materials, better workers and someone you can relate to.

In either case, the more you can take off the car, the better.

Wipers, door handles, bumper trim, window outer wiper with trim, the side vents, trunk vents, door seals, trunk opening seals, trim badges, sail trim etc the more the better. Making it so they don't need to do small fiddly little masked areas will give you better results that will last much longer.

Take pics of each part as assembled, pics of the part off the car with its associated fasteners arrayed roughly where they go and bag them by assembly with labels on the bags. Go buy some zip lock bags: Snack bags, qt size bags and gallon bags and some sharpies to mark them. Snack bags for fasteners go into the larger bag with the associated part. Do this so you can remember how it all goes back together, it's impossible to ensure everything will go where it should just from memory. Particularly the fasteners.

This is especially true if you go with Maaco.

This will also give you the opportunity while the car is at the shop to clean and recondition all the pieces you took off which will make the car look like new once you reinstall everything.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Karl!

Great advice! There's such a large difference in price that I'm finding it hard not to go with Maaco, but the lifetime warranty on the paint and the stellar rep from the local guy is pushing me in his direction. I intend to keep the car forever, so it's probably worth it to spend the extra cabbage.

Nothing today, but yesterday I drove her around and got 2 quotes for surface rust removal (primarily in frunk), chip repair, and a complete paint job for my 81X. Quotes ranged from $4,500 (local auto body shop, excellent rep, lifetime warranty on the paint) to $3,000 (Maaco, 4 year warranty) for their "Premium Maacover." Considering the large difference in price, I'll likely go with Maaco. I will have to remove the bumpers, etc because that's not included in the service. Anyone have good/bad experiences with Maaco?

-Sloovis
I've heard bad things about Maaco. HOWEVER, the actual job you get depends on the shop you use; the guys working there. Check out reviews on Yelp etc on the exact location you are considering.
That said, I had my Fiat Spider resprayed by them over 10 years ago. Not a great job, but passable.

I've heard bad things about Maaco. HOWEVER, the actual job you get depends on the shop you use; the guys working there. Check out reviews on Yelp etc on the exact location you are considering.
That said, I had my Fiat Spider resprayed by them over 10 years ago. Not a great job, but passable.

Where is Earl Sheib when you need him? That was meant to be joke but then I looked him up and it looks like the company is still in business. When I was a kid it was "Hi, I'm Earl Sheib, I'll paint any car any color for only twenty nine ninety five"

Great advice! There's such a large difference in price that I'm finding it hard not to go with Maaco, but the lifetime warranty on the paint and the stellar rep from the local guy is pushing me in his direction. I intend to keep the car forever, so it's probably worth it to spend the extra cabbage.

MAACO can be hit and miss I hear. Getting some reviews on them is a great idea as pointed out.

I remember after the X was crunched some years back, I thought about using them to just fix the nose and get a re-spray and get all the dings, etc fixed. During the quote, the guy actually went around the car and circled all the dings that I could point out with a marker. I have never seen a shop do that before. I asked if they go over the whole car, and he said they will seal it and repair just the dings and damage I identify. I thought that was a bit odd. I ended up painting it myself at a buddies shop. I don't know if they would have done better than I did but it was ultimately the cheaper solution ;)

Reviews are positive for this Maaco location

Additionally, it was a referral I received from a buddy of mine who's a real American muscle car nut. He had a '68 Firebird and a Corvette sprayed there many years ago and the paint is holding up beautifully.

Do it right or go very cheap.

I am no expert but I think a good analogy is to get either:
Engine rebuild of "disassemble and change the valve seals and valve cover gasket ONLY" for $3000 or
New pistons, overbore, bearings, grind and size rods, new valves, new cam and lifters for $4500.
Maaco service is primarily the inexpensive spruce up for a non discerning customer. Your local Maaco shop may however be better than average. I suggest you look at the results of finished cars at each SHOP. Bring an expert if you don't feel qualified.
The value is in doing it right Actually the best call is buy someone else's well done restoration. Good luck.
Pridebody.com
Bob T

Last edited:
Replaced my audio amplifier

My JL Audio XD/400 amp shorted due to water damage (trunk leaked) so finally replaced it. Means I now have tunes on my ride to and from Sturbridge Saturday!

I made it a lot easier to get in/out of the car with my new seat. I found that the steering wheel liked to get in the way... so easy fix!

On
IMG_20150328_212118_zpsack4b7uf.jpg

Off
IMG_20150328_212143_zpsfkjfqhlx.jpg

When I picked up the 124 hub to convert to 6 bolt pattern, it also came with the factory Ferrero wheel. So I have multiple wheel options, hard to not use and swap the slightly dished Nardi between the cars though.

Back