What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Those are from autoricambi.us, they are 15x6 and require a 5mm spacer on the front to clear the calipers. The oem tires fit great and the additional offset places the tires closer to the body without any rubbing.

I bought a booger hauler

10931003_10206061496362910_6884473261215403551_n.jpg

10929970_10206061494322859_2447663976730420405_n.jpg

Brought my new X home on Saturday. Looks happy in it's new home.
IMG_20150207_152953_zpsxoltx7uz.jpg

Figured out how the headlights worked a few minutes ago while tinkering in my freaking cold garage. Big steps here :p

Last edited:
Wow, three of my favorite cars in one garage. A Bug, a CRX and an X 1/9.

Three different conceptual and dynamic platforms: Ff, MR and RR

Great cars all.

Nice choice of X. Hope it is as fun as it looks

Wow, three of my favorite cars in one garage. A Bug, a CRX and an X 1/9.

Three different conceptual and dynamic platforms: Ff, MR and RR

Great cars all.

Nice choice of X. Hope it is as fun as it looks

Good eye, it's a spread I've been working towards. As you noted, each quite different.

Seeing your signature, I also have a 78 124 in the driveway. That one need to go come spring though, I can only manage so many projects :)

What did I do? Just picked up my new X from mechanic, Ike.
All electrics sorted, new brakes, coolant flush, alignment, NYS inspection. All for less than $500. You pay $500 with a Ferrari just to say "hello" to the shop.

Ike was saying what a clean car it is. When he was test driving it people were waving. Said it was fun to drive. It is.

It has a couple of old car squeaks and creaks, and not a lot of power, but when you nail it, you feel that engine behind you and rear wheels just propel you forward! Feels like power steering it's so light. My Fiat Spider is beautiful, but it feels almost like a truck compared to this.

Just needs cosmetics at this point: Carpet, hood respray and few minor odds and ends. :)

Good to hear your car is turning out to be a solid one - when I drive the X I am reminded how modern the car drives for being 40 years old.

In addition, sitting close enough to the road to open the door and touch it, and wailing the little motor mercilessly at full throttle through the gears, all the time you are still driving legal speeds is a blast not even a modern car or motorcycle can give.

Nothing like driving a slow car fast :cool:

Headlight motor rework

For years I've been annoyed that Orange Car's passenger side headlight beam was low and couldn't be adjusted properly - if I turned the actuator rod in far enough to level the light it would bend and pop off the snap ring at the headlight pod end.

So two days ago carefully I measured everything, and found that the mounting for the headlight motor (structural member, bridges outer shell to inner and also mounts the horn bracket) was bent out of shape. Not completely surprising, as the right front end was damaged in a collision back in 1975, while first owner's daughter was driving.

It took a while, but i was able to get the thing bent back into position... and headlight is now aligning properly.

Good to hear your car is turning out to be a solid one - when I drive the X I am reminded how modern the car drives for being 40 years old.

In addition, sitting close enough to the road to open the door and touch it, and wailing the little motor mercilessly at full throttle through the gears, all the time you are still driving legal speeds is a blast not even a modern car or motorcycle can give.

Nothing like driving a slow car fast :cool:
All true.

You know that you're driving an X1/9 when you find yourself doing an extra 360 degrees through every rotary when there's no other traffic :)

You know that you're driving an X1/9 when you find yourself doing an extra 360 degrees through every rotary when there's no other traffic :)

Oh soo true :)

I also do my best to avoid interstates and travel only on state highways or county 2 lane roads.

Frankly, not that much

There's an X1/9 under three feet of snow there (you can see my red Mazda 3 to the left). Fortunately the X is under a car cover.

Possibility of 6 more inches tomorrow. GAH!

IMG_20150216_113138015_zpslmol3mcd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fixed driver side headlight pod...

The pod has always had an issue where it had too much play when fully open and sagged a little which made for one sleepy eye, miss-aligned beam and a bouncy light.

I pulled the light out and discovered the little screw thing that attaches the turn buckle linkage to the inside of the pod was not fully threaded in (to the pod). Not sure if it had a washer at one point or not, but I installed I added one and that seemed to do the trick. Everything else looked good. Just a little bit of play now but I think it's a reasonable amount due to the old tensioner stops. Good news is the headlights are aligned now and no more bounce :woot:

A hauler with an awning ...

Very cool Mike. (pun intended)
Now I know what the generator's for. :)
You should try to keep the toilet/shower in there for travel. :fart:

Replaced alternator and water pump belts.

On schedule for this week:
New tires
New rear brakes (calipers/rotors/lines)
New brake pads all around
New Struts (with top braces)

Then I'll start looking at the 'lectrics

New Struts (with Big Brother bracing)
New Rear Brake hoses - Lots of fun getting them off the steel lines
New Rear Calipers
New Rear Rotors - Turns out I didn't need them. Rotors were virtually unused. On the shelf
New Front Brake Pads

Busy day yesterday

Back