RIP - Mellow Yellow

Brett

True Classic
I'd already posted some of the facts about this on the events forum as an update to the Miafiori Oregon '12 event. But at the urging of some others, I'm going to go ahead and upload a shot or two of the car after the accident. I have been hesitant to do so because I know many of the Northwest FIAT enthusiasts, many of whom are on this forum, knew and really appreciated this car. I know I really appreciated this car. And seeing it so damaged is kinda hurtful. But I also appreciate how tough this little car is and how it gave its life for me so that I was able to walk away mostly unhurt.
For those of you who don't know the car that came to me already famous as "Mellow Yellow" or sometimes "MeloYelo" and with four(!) three ring binders detailing its history and restoration, this car was previously owned by Les Zesiger who outfitted it with a completely custom wiring harness including some of the beefiest relays known to man. He also spent many countless hours restoring the car and making it pristine. A wonderful treatment to the engine bay and most of the rest of the car. From there it went to Mike Mittelstead who lavished it with more hours, removing all remaining rust, freshening the engine cover and putting on some fully restored CD-91s. After having loved Xs ever since driving one in high school, Mellow Yellow was the best for me to own as my first X 25 years later. This was a no issues, no excuses car. I'll miss it greatly.

This is how I'll remember Mellow Yellow:
IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

I did have a very unfortunate event happen on the way home (from the Miafiori Oregon '12 event). In fact, I was almost all the way home, about 8 or so more miles to go (of a nearly 300 mile trip) when driving eastbound on Hwy 211 between Woodburn, OR and Molalla, OR and traveling at a Hwy speed around 55mph, a westbound 2000 4Dr Camry attempted to turn left into a driveway right in front of me. The other driver jumped out of her car right away to tell me she was sorry she didn't see me, so I think she is also not seriously hurt, but she and her two passengers were all taken by paramedics to the hospital for evaluation. The paramedics when they arrived on scene were really nervous looking for the passenger of the yellow car, because the spare tire apparently wasn't secured in place, the force of the impact and it's additional momentum pushed the passenger seat forward and off its rails, making the headrest hit the windshield and leaving the classic bubble like someone's head had hit the windshield. I was wearing my seatbelt though and Mellow Yellow performed as it was designed to in a collision, leaving me pretty much unhurt other then some stiffness and sore neck, shoulders and forearms. As such, I declined ambulance transport, but at my wife's insistence, did go get checked out later. Doctor agreed with me that nothing is broken or serious, I'll be sore for a few days. Mostly my neck hurts. Physically anyways. Seeing how the seat hit the windshield on the passenger side, I am very glad I was wearing my seatbelt, and that the X-1/9 is the tough little car that it is. It could have been much much worse. I think what hurts the most is that Mellow Yellow will be no more.

This is what Mellow Yellow looks like afterwards. Twisted and bent, but beautiful in the protection it gave me:

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

Wow

...a sad end indeed for a special car, but yet another reminder of how amazingly well a 40-year old design holds up in a frontal crash. Glad you are intact!

Wow, very sorry to see and hear

But I'm glad you and every one else is OK.
Cars can be replaced, maybe not with original, but people can't.

Do consider parts of Mellow Yellow to live on.
Your damage is in the front, but it looks like there's plenty of parts in the rear that can be recycled.

If you end up with the car, let me know because I'd be honored to include a piece of Mellow Yellow into Mac-X.
There's a lot of history there.

Wow is right...

That front crumple zone is definitely crumpled. I often theorize that it would do that, and it seems to have done just that. I can only hope the Scorpion would do as well.

Amazing to see the twist of the windshield frame compared to the targa bar, and that the front trunk latch held. Lots of structural design to appreciate there.

Mostly I'm glad that this is not a post about a fatality. This X thing we like seems a pretty good car for non-airbag safety.

Thanks for posting pics.

When Any Car Gives Up It's Life To Save Yours..

One must consider the intent and talents of the individuals who designed it. During the moment of impact, the occupants are at the mercy of what has been designed into the car and little if anything can change that at that moment.

When the occupants of any car that walks away from a crash like this their perception of the car's design will likely be changed forever.

I was equally fortunate to walk away from a crash very similar to this one in an x1/9 many years ago. The car gave it's life to save me.. It is one of the reasons why I have always admired the X1/9 and it's design to this day. It is also why my daughter and me drive a SAAB. The requirements and needs of real world driving on public roads are very different than the marketing and performance dreams many car owners have.

While performance and fashion sells cars, the crash safety aspects of a car does not.

We should all take a moment to consider just how good the design of the x1/9 really is in so many ways.

Be well and do what is needed to care for yourself and others involved in this crash.

Bernice

pictures

thank you for posting the pictures... I get a lot of statements from people that they would never drive such small cars and that you would never survive an accident. It is nice to know that you were able to walk away.

I hope you are feeling better and find a replacement X

Bless you Brett... those fotos took my breath away...

Glad you are OK...

Just worked on Mike Busman's Big Byrd yellow '79 that he just ran into a Camry with. It also did its job and we fixed it for pennies.

I see all the crush zones worked for you as well as the car. The major stuff the Alien did is in the rear and surely can be salvaged.

Sorry for all your trouble here... Hope to talk more when I have time...

Lord have mercy...

...have seen that crumple zone previously.
But still astonishing to see.
PTL for blessings bestowed in safety provided.

A one-owner car previous to Lezesig, full documentation from new,
including service records and Les' journals of resurrection.
Only about 60K miles on it, it was sheltered its whole life.
Made a few appearances at the famous Wayne/Sandy Wright X Gatherings,
then mothballed for 3 years as Les' time was consumed
by resurrecting his Mom's lakefront home.
Tho' garaged, humid environment fomented rust
in myriad areas inadequately sealed from factory.
Nothing major, just lotta minor breakouts.

Engine cover hijacked from my BlackX when
PeterMcP approached me to buy the car.
Peter subsequently fell prey to siren call of late model Corvette.
And interestingly later lamented that decision!

I retained some of the bits, including Daytona wheels,
which are destined to go on Mac's BlackX.
I'm sure Brett will make good use of Melo's remaining great parts.

This is ignorance to the greatest degree. Size alone does not equal safety. The requirements are far more complex than simply size alone.

I do believe this the thinking and ideology behind the popularity of over sized vehicles.. The perception of bigger is safer.

There have been so many Truck/SUV rollovers that have resulted in serious injury over the years, yet the sales of these rolling coffins continue. Don't get me wrong, there are real needs for Trucks and SUVs but as a daily driver and the belief these types of vehicles are safer is pure folly.

Some of the best examples of how safe light weight cars can be are the current generation of real race cars...
Allan McNish was not seriously injured...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW3NDGk6YQE"]AUSmotive: Allan McNish crash Le Mans 2011 (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Bernice

thank you for posting the pictures... I get a lot of statements from people that they would never drive such small cars and that you would never survive an accident. It is nice to know that you were able to walk away.

I hope you are feeling better and find a replacement X

Ice for you neck, shoulder, etc. Do not use heat. After a jolt like you took (thank God your relatively unscathed) soft tissue will begin to swell for the next several days. In other words you may feel like you were in a pro football game played without equipment. Twenty minutes on ice/cold pack once per hour. After a few days you can alternate cold with heat but absolutely no heat initially. Please take good care especially in the first few days after impact.

I am very sorry for your accident. I am happy that your life was saved, and that you will have a chance to go on. very heroic these little cars of ours are.
Go find another as soon as you are able. You can not risk riding in anything else.
I am alive thanks to an X.

Thank you for posting. Great example of how great this little car is. So glad your ok.

Mad Matt can set you up with a front clip. That car is fixable.

On the other hand, it will make a great parts donor for many other cars.

damn

it is very painfull to me to look at this photos , and maked me think to not drive so fast !
thank you !

PS . i cannot imagine how bad are you feeling :(

Like the fly-boys say ...

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Glad you're still with us Brett. Engines in front don't act the same way. :hug:

Glad to know you are ok!

As Bob Brown says:

"Cars can be replaced, maybe not with original, but people can't."

glad to know you are ok.

Take care...and a bit more suggestions...

Usually the full extent of injuries from an auto accident are not known/felt for at least a couple days. Take it easy and do seek out some follow up medical attention. I would generally suggest chiropractic, not for adjustments, but because they usually have electrical stimulation devices that can help to relax the nerves a bit and aid in recovery.

I agree with the other post about icing it. Mostly I've heard that you should ice and take anti-inflamatories. But, I've also heard about alternating cold and heat.

Insurance -- I presume that you got hers. Be careful dealing with her insurance. Remember they are looking only to reduce their own exposure. I expect that her ins co will seriously undervalue the X. They will probably only offer you about $2,500 for it. Hopefully, you have good classic car ins for your car so that you can get enough $$$ to replace meloyelo with something truly comparable.

Please keep us posted.

Glad you were able to walk away

Its a shame it was such a mellow yellow car that it couldn't be seen. Not seeing you was more like just not looking in her case. That had to be a terrible moment when you realized she was actually going to turn in front of you.

The car performed well in its last act, definitely a testament to the engineers who created the design. We can all be thankful they put those extra pounds into the structure of the X as well as carefully designing those structures to dissipate as much energy as it did.

I would definitely pursue buying it from the insurance company to harvest as much as you can for your next X1/9.

Take care and fight for just compensation for your loss.

A side note, this underlines how important it is to properly restrain objects, had there been a passenger they would have possibly suffered more injuries from the tire/wheel hitting them from behind and increasing the loading on them by the seatbelt. Tedious as it is to spin the nut down its really worth doing.

Bernice

You are quite right.

There are so many oversized vehicles that give the illusion that it will provide safety in a severe accident when actuality their crash standards need to be revised drastically.

Size does not determine safety. Body construction to absorb an accident does.
This is ignorance to the greatest degree. Size alone does not equal safety. The requirements are far more complex than simply size alone.

I do believe this the thinking and ideology behind the popularity of over sized vehicles.. The perception of bigger is safer.

There have been so many Truck/SUV rollovers that have resulted in serious injury over the years, yet the sales of these rolling coffins continue. Don't get me wrong, there are real needs for Trucks and SUVs but as a daily driver and the belief these types of vehicles are safer is pure folly.

Some of the best examples of how safe light weight cars can be are the current generation of real race cars...
Allan McNish was not seriously injured...

AUSmotive: Allan McNish crash Le Mans 2011 (HD) - YouTube

Bernice

Back