RIP - Mellow Yellow

I didn't say

I'm extremely happy you walked away from this.

As someone already said. Buy another one.

By this example you now know that these are safe cars.

God Bless You.

Brett,

Glad that you only have some soreness and nothing serious.

As Tony alluded to earlier, I had a minor fender bender recently at about 20-25 mph and I was surprised and how well these guys hold up and the "at fault" vehicles really take the brunt of the accident.

I've always felt safe in an X and continue to feel that way. Wait until the soreness has passed so you can think clearly of your next X. It's in your blood by now and you can't easily get rid of Xitis.

My best,

Mike

Very, very happy you are able to share your story; very sad to see such a worthy car become a memory.

Your car was/is a perfect example of what these 'old' girls can do. So many only see the handling, the beauty, or nostalgia of the car; but, your car should be the poster child that demonstrates the 'walk-away factor' in a real world accident that brings together all handling, beauty and nostalgia into a safe package.

So very happy to be able to show my wife and tell of your story to all those who feel they are just an old relic without 'modern' safety.

Rest, heal and use the time to find a suitable candidate worthy to wear Mellows badge and other useful parts.

#1: You are OK!

just wow. Glad you are ok. Indeed, the car gave it's life up for yours.

Having butted my X's more than once on the nose, I am not surprised you walked from such a dramatic looking crash. These are tough little cars. However, I often wondered what would happen, in a crash as severe as the one you were in, to the roof stored in the frunk. Looking at the photos, I did not see the roof. Was it stored up front?

My condolences for your loss, and I hope in the future, a worthy X finds its way into your garage.

WOW!

Holy cow! Glad to know you're ok. Kinda sucks about the car. :( Saw Melo when Mike M had it...was a very well done car.

Little Mellow Yellow was a hero that day. It's good to hear it protected you during the crash, and that you could walk away from it! I also recommend visits to a good chiropractor. A few years ago when I was a back-seat passenger in auto accident, my spine was shaken up, and my body felt strange enough that I was taken to a nearby hospital for examination. Was released a few hours later, with nothing bad to report, but it was only after several months of chiropractic adjustments that I felt all better again. For me it was a no-brainer to seek out chiropractic help, because it had helped me before. My chiropractor has mentioned that even if I had not felt strange after the auto accident, it would have been a good idea to get the spine checked out. She did a good job of straitening me out.

Back in 2009 I visited Mike M, to pick up my 1985 Bertone X1/9. He had listed it for the seller, and on the strength of that listing I had felt comfortable buying my 2nd X1/9 via eBay. Mike also kindly took care of some minor rust spots before I arrived. I flew into Portland, and Mike picked me up in Mellow Yellow. There were a lot of cars and taxi cabs pulling up to the loading/unloading area of the airport, and it was a special treat to be picked up in an X1/9 "yellow cab"! I also remember how immaculate Mellow Yellow's engine compartment was. The saying "it was clean enough that you could eat off of it" comes to mind. Fond memories of a heroic little car!

Jesus Mary and the other guy

I am so sorry this happened to you. Mellow Yellow was a stellar X, this makes me really sad this happened to such a fine X1/9.

But you are alive and ok. She saved you. :)

Melo Yelo

Thanks agin Mike for sharing your skills, knowledge and friendship with me as I bought and took care of this great little car! Down to the wax used I kept it up to the standards of the previous owners. Sad to see it in this shape but glad all is well with Brett.
The Corvette is gone. I bought a sweet Mazda Miata a few weeks ago and now have a nice combination car.

Hmmm...

Hello Brett,

Thanks for posting.

Number one. Glad you walked away unscathed.

Random thoughts. Hood pins. They worked GREAT !

Passenger seat. I suspect not locked.

Front electrics. I suspect immediate arc. Break open, or did they smolder would be a question to you.

Any machine can be fixed, just a question of will, resource, and worth. I suspect the 'worth it' part might tip the scales.

______

I am thinking about the other driver/passenger(s) now. First and foremost, hopefully their injuries were minimal to NONE.

Wonder if they realize what they did ?

As you know, their auto is considered a "dime a dozen". A mere opening of a wallet can replace a duplicate of theirs in a matter of a few hours.

The same cannot be said for yours. That's the difference. :)

To continue the saga .....a follow up on the dispostion of mellow yellow would be appreciated by myself and the forum at large if you have the time.

Thanks,

lezesig
'72

Mixed emotions -

1. Very sad this happened to an awesome car but glad you walked away from it.

2. Proud of how safe these cars are - though would rather not have proof of that!

Well wishes on all aspects of your recovery.

Brett... Hope yur doing better and a thought...

I have never heard of someone front or rear-halfing an X1/9 to restore it... I have helped to cut one in half once and they are really well built from stamped pieces LAYERED and welded together... But I imagine it could be done... if one had a passion, time, effort, skill and or money to do so.

If that should ever be the case with you... Derrick at Giant Auto in Newhall here has a FRONT clip including the dash, console and windshield forward although not complete in itself, he also probably has all the other parts to make it whole.

Again... hope you are doing better...

Not really an update, but to answer some questions...

First off, I'm still doing OK, but still some sore, especially my right lower ribs. I suspect that's partly because I didn't have the luxury to sit around relaxing and recovering, I am doing my own kitchen remodel work, but having cabinets installed, and that is scheduled, so I need to get everything else done (plumbing, electrical, sheetrock, etc.) before then... no rest for the weary :)
But I'm not complaining, still grateful to the little car - just an update for those of you who have asked, and I do appreciate the kind words and concern. This entire thread proves what a great community this is.

This is not really an update yet because the insurance company still hasn't come and looked at the car. After the accident, I was debating whether to have it towed to my house or to the tow company's yard, but decided to let them take it to their yard so there would be no issue on whether I did any post-accident altering or removing. Two days later the insurance company called me to get permission to move it to a "free storage" facility because it was going to be a couple of days before they could look at it. The nearest such facility for them was about 40 miles away. I suggested they could move it to my house, which would also be free, that way if it was repairable, I could take it to a local shop instead of having it towed the 40 miles back out. They agreed. Then in amazing display of in-efficiency, they called a separate tow company to come out 40 miles to pick up the car from the first tow company, who's lot is located about 3 miles from my house. And didn't arrange payment. Whatever... that got sorted out and Mellow is indeed at my house. On Friday, they still hadn't dispatched anyone to look at it and come up with an estimate...

To answer some questions:
First off, some folks have mentioned the possibility of restoring Mellow Yellow, and while it was a very worthy car, the structural integrity of this car saved my life. My personal opinion is that, while welding a front clip on, or performing enough straightening *might* indeed be possible, its just not something I think would keep the structural integrity intact to the point I would be comfortable with. If someone on this board wants to buy Mellow Yellow for the salvage value and try it, I would be glad to let them try, and save such a worthy car. If no one else steps up for that, then my main idea is that I will buy back the car for salvage value and part it out, letting Mellow Yellow live on in others. I'm not going to let the effort put in by it's previous owners simply go sit in some salvage yard. drive train, and parts from rear, etc. are all good. Bob Brown gets first dibs for anything that can go on Mac-X.
At the bottom of this post, I'll include some other pictures showing why I think this frame is beyond repair, but first I'll answer some other questions:

Joe F asked about what would happen if the top was stored in the frunk. Answer, something like this:
IMG_1345.jpg

Passenger seat and spare tire - I believe it was locked, both from sliding on the rails, and the recline function, but I can't verify that (it had had someone sitting in it since it was last adjusted, so *think* it was locked). The spare tire was/is secured by a strap on the bottom. I didn't look for anything else to know why this method was used. But I believe the forward momentum of the tire is what popped the seat off the rails. It didn't just slide all the way forward, it actually popped off the rails.

Front electronics - actually I think experienced no issues at all no arc, or smolder:
IMG_1346.jpg

Why I think the frame is beyond repair:
This pic shows the upwards curve of the frame under the door:
IMG_1348.jpg

Even the rear targa frame on the passenger side would need straightening:
IMG_1347.jpg

My "braced for impact" grip on the wheel I think may have bent it upwards, note the separation of upper and lower sections on the steering column and the dash to console (didn't get that into the picture very well, but bottom right corner):
IMG_1349.jpg

energy transfer went all the way to the back, this surprised me, to see the overflow tank in the engine compartment bend its bracket and shift forward from arrested momentum:
IMG_1350.jpg

Once I have an answer from the insurance company, I'll post another update... If anyone thinks they want to attempt restoration, please PM or email me.

Once again, thanks for the kind words and advice. Proud to be part of this community (and I am looking at a black '80 with carb that is low miles and stock - but that'll be a different thread once I've seen it, on Wednesday).

-Brett

Unbelievable...

This photo says it all... (regarding restoration)

IMG_1348.jpg

The chassis buckled in 2 places length-wise, so straightening will not likely maintain the same impact safety as before.

Gotta say, looking at this from other angles sure tells what kind of impact you've sustained. You're a lucky man, and we're happy you are safe, but also IMPRESSED that you were able to walk away from all this without serious physical injury. One for the X1/9 history books. It takes one hellova impact to cause that kind of damage.

Man, you've got to take a day off! :nod:

Thank you for the update and let us know how this all ends up.
Also thank you for opening up an opportunity to include Mac-X on parts of Mellow Yellow.

Coolant tank

energy transfer went all the way to the back, this surprised me, to see the overflow tank in the engine compartment bend its bracket and shift forward from arrested momentum:
IMG_1350.jpg

No argument about the energy transfer, but it looks like you were missing the two bolts that should be holding the bottom of the tank. I suppose (if you have to find an up side in such a situation) that is one job you don't need to worry about any more...

Cheers,
Dom.

Last edited:
Buckle

Matthew,

Worth exploring. Good point. Looking closer at the keyholes we see little to no deformation based on these pictures.

Can we attribute this type of hood buckle to the hood release catch and pin combination alone ?

It appears so based on these pictures. Weird, very weird that the keyhole pin arrangement appears bypassed. Your thoughts ?

This looks like a very important design feature that failed during its planned intention.

lezesig
'72

It's my understanding that the hood was designed to fold the way it did with only the latch holding down the rear and that the posts were added in the late 70s because they were a legal requirement not because the were needed. I suppose if you forgot to latch the hood they might be helpful but even then I really doubt the hood would pose a danger to the passengers.

Matthew,

Worth exploring. Good point. Looking closer at the keyholes we see little to no deformation based on these pictures.

Can we attribute this type of hood buckle to the hood release catch and pin combination alone ?

It appears so based on these pictures. Weird, very weird that the keyhole pin arrangement appears bypassed. Your thoughts ?

This looks like a very important design feature that failed during its planned intention.

Could be... But there's that very sharp crease in the hood just above and in front of the socket for the crumple post (looking at the targa top in the front trunk photo)... I don't see how that crease could form unless the corner of the hood was held in place by the keyhole/pin affair. I think that the pin released as the structure of the car was rebounding after the moment of maximum force and hence distortion of the shell.

In the almost 20 years I have owned X/19s I have not heard of anyone every dying in one and no serious injuries that I know of... Anyone else Here anything?

Back