What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

OMG BBW Mod

Well I couldn't believe it but such a simple fix for a very annoying problem. I can see at night now. Next up is the GM HEI ignition module. Will wonders never cease. Smaugz and the Twins

Subwoofer!

Performed a trial fit of the new spare well cover I fabricated and made the electrical connections for the spare tire sub. Wow!!! What an improvement in sound/bass. I'm a happy camper.

Just need to trim the cover in matching vinyl trim, tidy up the wiring, and apply sound deadening to the wheel area. Will also likely build a small speaker shelf similar to the one that Dayton Tom built a few years ago. http://www.xwebforums.org/showpost.php?p=21469&postcount=1 Don't really think I'll need to cut the doors or fiddle with the footwells to add speakers with this setup.
5e31f640db6b37ad3edd659813881c92.jpg

Went Wine Tasting

Celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary by taking the wife out to the North fork of Long Island for lunch at Claudio's in Greenport, then hit several vineyards on the way home. It still makes me feel good when random people stop to take pics of the car, or pull up next to me asking, "What kind of car is that?" Christine ran perfectly. Great day!

Drove the snot out of...

The x today. Up and down the pacific coast from Santa Cruz north to near San Francisco. The k20 + x19 is pure joy!

Installed a set of BiTurbo rims on my 86 Bertone.. Many thanks to the board member who sold them to me and everyone who helped me through the process...

1st drive home of New (to me) X

I drive it home for that 1st time. Drove to Salem (about 1 hour away) look at it. mostly looking for rust issues and found nothing scary (it's an 86 so their is some). The clutch Master was bad PO was working on changing it but could not get the hard line to thread on.

So on my back under the dash I went. Got the line screwed on and started bleeding. (would not bleed) took the line off and could hold the pressure with my finger (hmm) I'm thinking bad replacement Master cylinder. Turns out He had bought one and His Son had bought one so He had two. (major cool). remove and re-install 2nd new. (hard line will not go in..) rats.. remove 2nd Master cylinder and examine closely looks ok. so I try to install it just on the hard line (turns out the fitting will not push in at all)

Hmmmm.. take end of Master Cylinder #1 and swap with Cylinder #2. and re-install. leave hard line lose and add break fluid. (cool we have a dribble of fluid) tighten line and start bleeding.

Wife is on the ground next to the driver seat pushing pulling the clutch peddle and suddenly she say's if feels different and will not stay down anymore (cool I say) and I can see the arm on the trans move just a little bit. few more times of bleeding and we now have a working clutch!!!

Breaks feel a bit mushy and when we were adding fluid to the clutch I noticed breaks were almost empty. So I topped them off as well.

Different battery and a jump start the it started. (little bit of rod rattle at first that goes away just as the oil light goes out) seems like this is the 1st start in a few years. ran rough with some smoke. (left it running for most the clutch Master Cylinder swap over) turned it off and then it started right back up.

One head light had to be manually ran up but both worked and I had tail lights.

Fixed a broken wire on the break switch and I had break lights.

No turn signals or 4 way's (radio also would not power up) and the wires are off the window motors (PO had removed the door panels to run the windows up with a battery.

Called Pd to make sure the car was not on the stolen list, did paperwork and paid for my NEW (well new to Me anyway) 86 X1/9

Drive it home, wife following just in case.

LOVED!!! the last few corners before home 15mph corners at 30 ish.

I so now remember why I loved my 79 x so Much.

Now I'm going to send this and then edit to see if I can add my two trough the steering wheel cell phone pictures.

1st%20drive.jpg

11031516581.jpg

I think the flash went of on the 1st picture. The windshield was dirty but not that dirty.

And I was supporting the phone on the wheel for the 2nd picture. (think the tires are out of balance it did have some vibrations going on.)

But it was kick in the pants to be driving an X again!!

Last edited:
three outside pictures of the new X

150518950002.jpg

150518_0003.jpg

150518_0001.jpg

One head light would not come up the first time. Opened the access to run it up and turned the wrong way first and the motor spun back. so I went the other way a few turn's and slowed. got it up and figured I would just leave them up for the drive home. (did stop for fuel so I turned them off) and again I had to help it a little but not as much as the 1st time) got home and it was delayed but did go up and down on it's own.

Door panels are removed and wires are off the window motors. PO said He pulled them to run the windows up with a battery (I'm guessing cool that the motors still work) Radio, turn signals, Cig/power port does not work.

1st start the temp gauge was not working. looked at what I think is the temp center (middle of the head pointing at the back of the passengers' neck) I wiggled and tugged light on the wire it seamed ok (did not want to get to involved with things as it was not running and 60 miles from home) Kinda concerned about an over heat. Had it running most of the time fixing the clutch and it did not heat up (but the fan's never came on either) entire trip home the gauge stayed where it is in the blurry shot.

Last edited:
A few more

boom%20though%20hood%20189.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20222.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20223.jpg

looks kinda cool from a distance think it will be going away though maybe the PO was a little shorter then Me.

boom%20though%20hood%20221.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20220.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20219.jpg
missing that center section on the bottom and right turn is broken.

boom%20though%20hood%20218.jpg

pretty sure it's a re-paint with their being yellow on the back of the head lights. Kinda surprised they did not paint the access doors.
boom%20though%20hood%20217.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20216.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20215.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20214.jpg
What is the best way to attack this?

boom%20though%20hood%20213.jpg

key is punched and missing (toggle switches on the other side) I do have the sig lighter. and the clock lights up and advanced about the right amount of time to drive home (battery is pulled for now)

boom%20though%20hood%20212.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20208.jpg
figured out why the glove box was staying down on it's own.

boom%20though%20hood%20205.jpg
boom%20though%20hood%20206.jpg
boom%20though%20hood%20207.jpg

trunk looks great!

boom%20though%20hood%20204.jpg

think I need the elbow to re-install the air cleaner.

boom%20though%20hood%20202.jpg

think the green wire is the temp sending unit. Not real pleased with the bare twisted wires in the background.
boom%20though%20hood%20201.jpg

about the only body damage I have noticed so far. Rear deck lid will not latch (engine will but is not in this picture)
boom%20though%20hood%20200.jpg

Vin tag.

little bit of a rust hole in the bottom of the door jam. rear latch handle looks to be broken or something but still seems to work.

boom%20though%20hood%20198.jpg

seats are a bit rough. (passenger is a little better) they still feel comfortable. I would bet they are to gone to fix. thinking a good re-aplster shop.

boom%20though%20hood%20197.jpg

had to take that bracket off (think it's a support for the collom cover. (a bare wire was sparking on it)
boom%20though%20hood%20195.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20194.jpg

boom%20though%20hood%20193.jpg

Now how is that for a driving down the road fix. (dash wiggled out and dropped the speed o. pushed it back in. and saw the screw on the floor. it's just barely in their

boom%20though%20hood%20192.jpg

two controls that are their are very stiff and I can see part of the broken 3rd one back behind

boom%20though%20hood%20190.jpg

Well.. they do run/start the car. but will be one of the 1st fixes parts already on the way.

Anyway.. I'm off to work hope everyone has a great day.

Paid $1,150 for it. it ran ok at first. and was running a little better by the time I got home with it (you could smell the old fuel at first).

Yay! Seats done!

Finally got them done. Now I just need to rebuild the transmission.

You can see the perforated tan and the carbon fiber look black.

I think mine tried to kill me.....

This was just so dumb... Sometimes I stop working on it and see how many things now actually work. Anyhow, the windshield washer spray should now work, but didn't work very well, noticed the cowl area was getting wet, there is a leak. I had replaced that silly bag and pump with a new tank and pump, that I found on E-bay. Great set-up.

I reached my hand in there to find the leak, and to remove the leaking hose. But .... Here is the dumb part, the wipers were on the most delayed mode... After I got my hand in there, they started to move... Then my hand was completely stuck, and there is only one way out, somehow wiggle my hand so the linkage can move farther and eventually I will be free. Problem is my hand already hurt pretty good, and the linkage had to move more. Can't make it stop and can't make it back up. Just as I started to panic a little, the linkage moved and I was free. and yes that really hurt. Maybe I won't do that again.....

Yes after I actually got free, I was a little surprised to find I was not actually wounded.

It was one of those no-win things. If it moved a little that made things worse, but the only way out was to somehow allow it to move far enough to get free. Then get out, before getting caught again.

I have done a few silly things, but that was not very funny at the time, sure it's funny now....

How did the hood on the race car get a dent, well it was hanging on the garage wall, and lets just say that one isn't funny yet....

New armrests

My goal is to keep my 82 "unmolested", but is a little bright work heresy? :wink2: The all black interior is a bit drab.

LSD in the K20 swap's 6speed...

There's a first time for everything, so I did this myself. Not too bad quite honestly (tho I feel I've been working up to this kind of action for years and years). I'll be able to tell you how well it works in the estimated 18 months till the project is complete - doing an engine swap is not for the low-budget nor the impatient. :)

A__E6C9_zpsqhv1q3f3.jpg

WP_20160201_13_56_32_Pro_zpsp1ccc3kk.jpg

Back