What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

Covered my cloth seats with 3M fabric protectant... Ill see if the stuff works or not...

Fixed my LED clock! Turns out it was never plugged in from the dealer...

Went to work on the interior as it is numero uno on the resto list.

First image is of the X's interior with the upholstered dash, the horror the horror.

Second up is the dash removed and the process wasn't as bad as it could have been with a few pointers from Bayless.

Last is the dash with the cracks filled and sanded and ready to be shipped off to the UK, yep that's right, a leather company there that makes interior leather parts also covers dashes. Just in case it gets lost I insured it for a grand, I hope that is enough to find a mint one if I never see it again!

Next up carpeting, door panels, seats, steering wheel and shift knob - all in transit! Let the transformation begin :dance2:

Crawled around the 86 this morning for a hour poking at the rust areas to evaluate and develop a game plan for the body work to come. Went to my fab shop and hammered out a couple test patch panels out of aluminum (turned out pretty good for first proto types).

Pulled the 79 out and took it down to my mechanic Roy's Imports for a check-up before I take it up to Dubuque Iowa on Saturday to see my sister and god daughter who will be in town for a wedding show.

PW

Painted the Hood

Well, not today, but the past several weekends.

The X1/9 I bought back in January was solid but needed some TLC. The whole car can use a repaint to cover little dings and paint fade. But overall, halfway decent. Except the hood and nose which were faded and too far gone for compound and polish. So, I figured what did I have to lose by trying to paint it myself? I never painted more than a little touch up, but read up and gave it a shot with rattle cans.
I first tried AutomotiveTouchup.com but it did not match…way too dark.
Then I tried APS Tower paint. Almost a perfect match.

I primed, painted, wet sanded, and compounded. No clear coat. Not professional, but passable until I can get the whole car done.

Bought and had installed 4 x Achilles 122s for $330. Had to show them the lifting points, because they were about to jack at the seam! Received my Covercraft Custom Fit Car Covers Block-It Evolution Gray (CA24GK) so it can be in the sun all year if necessary, $188.

Washed, clayed, washed, then acrylic "waxed" with Klasse sealant.

Fitting the brand new cover was difficult because it kept on sliding off the now slippery car! :excited:

New oil all around on my '81X

(1) Changed the gear oil to Redline MTL. Still getting a crunch going into 3rd if I don't take my time (synchro), but she shifts much easier. Thanks for the Redline recommendations, everyone!

(2) Changed the engine oil (and filter) using semi-synthetic 10W-40 Liqui Moly. I've never used this before, but it was recommended to me by a shop who deals with exotic cars. She ran great on the way home; engine was the quietest it's been since I got her in November. Anyone else use this?

car cover

Fits pretty good
0716151555.jpg

I started this project in June and planned on having it done by the end of the month. Then I had to have a operation around father's day and experienced a little set back. I have been back at it off and on with a couple of hours each morning before the temperature gets up to the 90's. Even with the shop exhaust fan and a box fan directly on me the heat has been more than I like. So far I have managed to redo the trunk lid. The first fiberglass lid was 11lb 8oz. This one is 7.8 lb. and just as sturdy. I decided to do some more custom work to the front by putting in some grill work. I was asked it was a Corvair a couple of times. The plan is to run some ducting into the fender wells to get a bit more air on the brakes. I am also redoing the hood. The first one had some flaws that has been bothering me plus I might be able to shave a couple more pounds. I hope to have the car drivable by the end of this month even if it is covered with primer spots.

Retorqued the head!

Pulled the FI plenum/intake, throttle cable bracket, timing belt bracket, and dogbone to retorque my new bayless perf head after driving ~250 miles with it. Followed Matt's instructions and got all the bolts snugged down. I used ARP ultralube on the bolt threads and washers so hoping I get a good solid clamp on things. Can't wait until it's finished and I will feel a little more comfortable putting my foot into it!

BTW my version of the Allison's header is a royal pain to put back on. There's one nut (the inboard nut on the driver side intake runner) that is nearly impossible to get-at with a wrench. It's a real back-breaker and knuckle skinner to play with an open end wrench and get to it.

Almost done -- just need to reattach the plenum, vac lines, and a fuel line and hoping to take a few test runs later this week!
64bbba01d6a530cdad9f7bc10b0be9b9.jpg

Offending nut here...
ff2e74146e9ec8ed17386c3f22a28b30.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-9113-Combination-Ratcheting-Wrench/dp/B0002NYD7Q"]http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-9113-Combination-Ratcheting-Wrench/dp/B0002NYD7Q[/ame]

On Sunday I....

Swapped the transmission again - put the original back in the '79 - now I have the 82 that is devouring 3rd gear and the '79 that won't stay in reverse. Lesser of two evils?
:blackeye:

Some work and play

I replaced the cam tower gasket to fix a nasty oil leak and a new timing belt. Caused me to put 150 miles on the car, I just didn't want to stop driving it! I am new to the hobby and bought my 1986 X1/9 last year. I am very impressed with this forum, it has supplied me with so much great information! Hopefully I can contribute in the future...

Pulling the transmission (swearing ensues)

Got the driver wheel, rotor, and caliper off. Got the 6 allens off no problem as well as the 30mm staked nut and got the CV out. Attempted to get A frame off--but the rear screw interferes with the exhaust. So I pull the rear grill and valence to pull the muffler, which doesn't make it any better. Then I try to pull the cat and one of the 4 nuts (the most difficult to access) won't come off. Sprayed some penetrant and went to bed, defeated.

Almost hit a Racoon at about 1030 at night... Its been a while since I drove one of these at night.. They are fun at night... I just need a nice Bob Brown special instrument cluster...:laugh:

Back