Alfa V6 in my X...

lookforjoe

True Classic
Anyone on here done it?

A fellow VolvoSpeed forum member has 164 parts cars & is offering me a V6 for my X... seems like a nice idea...

What a cool project idea! I'd imagine it would change the handling characteristics quite a bit, but the noise those engines make is just glorious. There's a guy over on alfabb.com who put one in the back of an alfa sprint. He took the entire package, including the strut tops and engine mounts and graphted the whole lot into the sprint. Go to alfabb.com, go to the boxer engined alfas page and the thread should be somewhere near the top... Caused quite a bit of discussion!

I was just at a VW meet at a friends shop... the VR6 looks like it would fit fairly well. Tight and not without some cutting, but I would think less then most v6's.

I've got one on the go right now

I have a 156 GTA 3.2 engine with 6 speed box being installed in one mine, being done by Nick Troth of P1X 2000. I took a ride in his 3 litre V6 car and I just had to have one. All I can say is it takes a lot of surgery and is quite expensive!

DSC00220.jpg

Sorry for grainy image, it's from Nick's mobile phone.

Some specs:
Alfa 156 GTA 3.2 V6 240 bhp (probably a bit more as I'm removing the Motronic afm)
Alfa 6 speed gearbox, cable change
Megasquirt II injection and ignition
AVO monotube coilovers all round
AP 4 pot calipers, 330x30 front discs
Girling calipers, 284x22 rear discs
Alfa 164 brake master cylinder
OZ Mito 3 piece wheels, 8x17 front, 9.5x17 rear
Seicento 35 litre fuel tank in front
Scirocco radiator, exhausting up through bonnet vents
Eurosport/Dallara replica bodywork
Colour probably 1300 lime green (undecided)

As note, the Alfa V6 in an X has been done. A better question would be what engine/transaxle combo has NOT been installed in an X.

Over the years, numerous engine/transaxle combos have been done, some turn out simply GREAT.. others "why this?"

Bertone's original intent was to have the FIAT twin cam installed as the go fast version. Only to have FIAT crush this plan and idea soon after the Abarth cars were built and raced. Today, there are many alternative engine/transaxles that are a nice match for the X.

The commonly held belief of auto journalist and many car folks is the car, as delivered from the manufacture is the best it could be. Many times this is true and this is what drives the "make it all orginal" mind set among part of the vintage car community which is why many times a completely orginal car is worth more than a "modified car". Fact is, orginal is best is not true for every mass produced car.

Anyone on here done it?

A fellow VolvoSpeed forum member has 164 parts cars & is offering me a V6 for my X... seems like a nice idea...

Well, perhaps I should have qualified it with how much has to be modified to make it fit.

Sounds like it's major surgery. Plus the donor cars are auto, I believe.

As note, the Alfa V6 in an X has been done. A better question would be what engine/transaxle combo has NOT been installed in an X.

Over the years, numerous engine/transaxle combos have been done, some turn out simply GREAT.. others "why this?"

Bertone's original intent was to have the FIAT twin cam installed as the go fast version. Only to have FIAT crush this plan and idea soon after the Abarth cars were built and raced. Today, there are many alternative engine/transaxles that are a nice match for the X.

The commonly held belief of auto journalist and many car folks is the car, as delivered from the manufacture is the best it could be. Many times this is true and this is what drives the "make it all orginal" mind set among part of the vintage car community which is why many times a completely orginal car is worth more than a "modified car". Fact is, orginal is best is not true for every mass produced car.

I know a Scorpion engine/transaxle to X transplant

It was a while back (20ish years?) I don't recall the final horse power but the car screamed and was a blast to drive.

This was the sought after conversion back in the day. The other sought after conversion was to use a Mazda 12A or 13B rotary. There far more engine/transaxle choices these days.

It was a while back (20ish years?) I don't recall the final horse power but the car screamed and was a blast to drive.

yes , ive seen those. i have a complete scorp driveline sitting out back, but im going with a turbo honda setup i have because its faster and lighter.

If I found the right X candidate...

And won the lottery :) I would definitely make the trip to Ohio and have Matt build me a "modern" X. However in the meantime I will take donations ;)

Are you aware of any particular replacement drivetrains that don't require major surgery? I've seen one on here somewhere that used Honda parts, I think it was, anyway- BUT I think they had to have custom(600-700buck) axles made - I'd like to keep it low-budget :rolleyes:.

I'd like to research viable options that can utilize readily available parts/donor cars that won't cost a fortune; I can do all the fitment/labor, I just need a good place to start :)

This was the sought after conversion back in the day. The other sought after conversion was to use a Mazda 12A or 13B rotary. There far more engine/transaxle choices these days.

Back