Alfa V6 in my X...

+1

"Getting the engine of choice" in to the X is usually only the beginning of a very long sorting out process. It is pure fantasy to believe simply adding more power or a bigger engine alone will increase performance. This might make the X go faster in a straight line, how will the added power affect chassis dynamics, braking, cornering dynamics and a lot more.

Keep in mind with any drive train replacement in the X, it will require significance development to make it all work well together and power to weight and alteration of weight distribution from stock must be considered.

And yes, most any alternative power train can be installed, but the proper and intelligent choice to increase the overall performance of the X is very, complex indeed..

It's been done at least twice.

I read the photo-documented swap story somewhere on the net.

It doesn't fit - yes, it was made to fit, but it isn't pretty, it isn't good design or good engineering.

It just doesn't fit.

I was reading somewhere, and I cant for the life of me remember where it was, where a guy in europe fitted the entire engine/trans from an Alfa 156 GTA in the back of an X19. So thats a 3.2 250hp V6 with the 6 speed manual gearbox. He spent a fortune and did it properly, it was a beautiful job and the X was ridiculously fast. The sound from that V6 is spine tingling, it wouldve been sensational.

But on a budget, I think the Honda B18 or K20 swap is the way to go. A friend took me for a spin in his B18 Integra Type R, and apart from packing a very un 1.8 like punch in the back and revving sky high, it really did sound exactly like a race prepared Alfa 2.0 on huge Webers - and it was stock as a rock. I'm in love with the B18 :)

Just looking forward to the warmer spring weather so I can get the X out of the garage.

For me, it's going to be a rebuilt head/cam setup from Bayless.

My wife isn't down with me having more than one highly modified car, and I'm not selling my Volvo :rolleyes2:

Nick's V6 will finished this summer in the UK:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaXjvhtk78c"]YouTube- X1/9 V6 on the road[/ame]

Alfa 164 Q4 V6 in X1/9:
http://www.x19.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7
In swedish, but quite a few pictures.

But there seems to be an awful lot of cutting and welding to make it fit. I don't think the term "engine swap" really makes justice to such a project. More like "complete car redesign".

I think I'd stick with tuning the SOHC myself, if I had the time and money and a car in need of an overhaul. Keep the weight stock and the Fiat badge honest :).

But, if you really want to go the FrankenCar route... how about the Cadillac Northstar V8 out of the Seville STS? It's supposedly a very nice engine, and it comes (I think) with transverse FWD transmission.

cadillac is even bigger then the alfa. no way. the alfa is just an excercise in the extreme. it would be awesome, but it would take serious commitmint, and a few years. ill stick with my single cam 1500 vtech turbo with an lsd. just waiting to get my parts x back from mark so i can start my mock up in it. its been gone for maybe 4 or 5 months now. the single cam is even smaller the the b series, the only real issue is the huge turbo that ends up where the stock gas tank is.

Breaking News

This is a Breaking news event. Ken in Dallas Texas has finally finnished his long project of putting a 24valve V6 into his Scorpion and I must say......WOWSER I now am reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly jealous.........:p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW_2Vxkd72M"]YouTube- Lancia V6 24V Montecarlo - on the road[/ame]

Yup, took a ride a few weeks ago...

This is a Breaking news event. Ken in Dallas Texas has finally finnished his long project of putting a 24valve V6 into his Scorpion and I must say......WOWSER I now am reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly jealous.........

Very raw right now, but shows great potential. Scary scary fast. We only tooled around on city streets so I haven't seen the cornering capability yet, but wow, what a ride. Congrats Ken!

Pete

I sent him an email about adding a fuel cell in the front getting stiffer springs and some sticky tires and that thing will be a force...

Nice!!! thanks JJ for letting me know about this thread.Gotta love the sound of an Alfa V-6.
Pete we need to get together again.I promise on bringing my Faza/Abarth replica with snorkel and everything.Just need some good mild(60`s) temps to work on the bucket seats,brakes and cooling system.Maybe no turbo on it yet but will be completely driveable.....Can`t wait.Ohhh! and we need to make sure Ken is invited so we can then hit the backroads around your beautiful country side neighborhood as we did in your nice Scorpion,.....Albert

Back