Killed or Hurt in an X 1/9

Dennisrh

True Classic
So Jjay911 posted a question in another thread. Has anyone ever been killed or hurt in an X 1/9? I have not, but had I been in any other kind of car I probably would have been. I have been in three major accident s in an X 1/9 and walked away from each unharmed. So here is the first of my stories.
I was 16 years old and had just purchased my first X, a carbureted powder blue and 100% stock 1980 Fiat X 1/9. 6 months after purchasing it, I felt quite confident in my ability to drive the car. One night I was on a 4 lane road in a residential area. It was raining and me with my infinite youthful intelligence was driving about 80 miles per hour. The road ahead slightly curved to the left and knowing the limits of my X fairly well, I knew I didn't need to slow down to take this curve. Unfortunately, I did not take into consideration that the road was covered with somewhere around 3 inches of water. I hydroplaned and continued heading straight when the road turned left. I slid into a small group of trees that separated the street from an apartment building. I barely missed the first tree, however I was not so lucky with the second tree. I hit the second tree directly in front of me. (directly in front of the driver’s seat, not the center of car) The tree was not a particularly large tree maybe 1 foot in diameter and when I saw I was about to hit it I actually thought I would knock down the tree. This was not the case, even small trees are well rooted and very hard to knock over. My X bounced off the tree spinning in a counter clockwise direction. The X spun a complete 360 before impacting with another tree of about the same size. I struck this tree with the right rear quarter panel and right rear tire. The X began to spin clockwise from this impact and slid sideways into the brick wall surrounding the apartment building. The driver's side of the car was smashed against the wall and I couldn’t open my door, so climbed out the roof.
The first thing I noticed even before even getting out of the car was that the steering wheel was about 3 inches from my chest. The doors had both been broken open and now stuck out about 6-8 inches past the door frame. The back wheels were off the ground and ironically the engine was still running and the transmission was still in gear so the back wheels were still spinning. The back wheels were off the ground because the center of the car about where the jack insert is, had bent down and was firmly lodged in the ground. There wasn't much left of the front of the car. The left front fender was unidentifiable. It had crushed into the frunk and became a jumbled mess of metal, while surprisingly there was not a lot of damage to the passenger side fender. Basically it looked like someone grabbed the front left fender and right rear fender and tried to crush the car like a tin can.
I walked about 100 feet past the first tree and found my targa top which I can only imagine must have flown off the car with the first impact. The targa top was a bit beat up but was still in one piece. I held it over my head as it was still raining and waited for the police to come. I waited probably about an hour and no one came. If I had been hurt I would have probably died since my car was lodged so far back in the trees that I could not be seen from the street.
Eventually I got tired of waiting and walked to a friend’s house that didn't live too far. I called for a tow truck and went back to my car. The tow truck driver said he couldn't tow the car without a police report so he radioed the police. I still remember one of the officers telling me "I have seen much less serious accident where the people were dead inside. You must have angels watching over you." All I could think was, those angels must live in Italy and make cars cause this little car is what saved my life. The tow truck driver had to extend his cable and use a tow strap to extend far enough to hook onto my car. He then pulled my car this way and that to get it around the trees. It took him about 2 hours to maneuver his truck around to pull my car through to the street. I had the car towed to my house. The next morning my neighbors came knocking on my door to ask if I was still alive.
This is the story I tell people when they ask why after all these years I still drive an X 1/9 or tell me it’s so small it’s a death trap. I have driven an X more than half of my life and hopefully will continue to drive one for the rest of my life.
I would love to hear others stories, so feel free to post any amazing stories of your X.

Good story.
I've not taken a hit in my X yet so can't speak to that. In my Opel GT I T-bone'd a Chrysler 300m that had pulled in front of me. I hit it at about 50mph and walked away unscathed. Little cars can be pretty safe if designed well.
opelbeforeafter.jpg

I loved it, underpowered, not all that great handling, but quirky cool and dang sexy. It wasn't quite as nice as it looks in the pictures but I was working on it….making me sad now…...:(

Tough little cars

The X is certainly a solid little car. I sold a 79 to JimV years ago and unfortunately his son had a pretty serious incident in the car. It involved a guard rail and a tree IIRC, maybe Jim will add the details if he sees this and cares to elaborate. The car ended up at MWB and Thomas snapped a couple pictures for me.

You can see how the hood capture brackets functioned properly in the wreck. They held the rear edge of the hood in place and the hood folded upward instead of heading for the windshield.

That must have been a serious impact. The bumper is flatter than a pancake. I never thought I would ever see one that crunched.

I had an 81 where I was stopped in traffic and hit so hard from behind it pushed me UNDER the car in front of me. I looked up and saw his axle :)

It didn't look all that bad, but it was a total for sure. The chassis was majorly twisted. The Abarth exhaust was toast too :(

WOW............... On all these stories. This reminds me. I dont remember there being those hood stops on my old 74. I may have to go look at my other 75 models and look...

WOW............... On all these stories. This reminds me. I dont remember there being those hood stops on my old 74. I may have to go look at my other 75 models and look...

No hood stops in the '74, don't know about the '75.

Who has the pics of the white X in Australia (?) that hit a pole at high speed?

Jim D. ....I bet you have the photo stashed. The car was on a flatbed, car wrecked hitting a pole dead on. Headlights were facing each other. I believe the windshield was still intact and the driver hurt his knee while climbing out thru the roof. Ring any bells? Had to be at least 4 yrs back.

I don't remember that crash Thomas

Jim D. ....I bet you have the photo stashed. The car was on a flatbed, car wrecked hitting a pole dead on. Headlights were facing each other. I believe the windshield was still intact and the driver hurt his knee while climbing out thru the roof. Ring any bells? Had to be at least 4 yrs back.

Sounds bad, but I don't have any pictures or even remember the discussion. I must be getting too old. :)

25 years as an airbag / crash engineer

I've spent 25 years in the field of crash compliance and airbag engineering. Currently developing steering columns.
Went I bought "er nai" two years ago, I was amazed in my research to learn that the fiat x1/9 and Volvo were only two cars to meet a proposed rule for 50mph belted crash test. Remember your physics and you can calculate the kinetic energy at 35 mph = 1/2 mass x velocity squared.

35x35=1225. 50x50=2500. So a fiat x1/9 has 100% greater energy absorption than today's motor vehicles relative to the NCAP new car assessment program. Add today's airbags and an energy absorbing steering column .... And the x1/9 would be one of the most survivable vehicles in the marketplace. (Heh heh ...working on a new global tilt / telescope steering column with fiat that we should be able to put into the x1/9)

Here's some info from the web:

The Fiat X1/9 was a benchmark car, the world's first mass-production mid-engined sports car. Designed by Bertone, and built firstly by Fiat, then by Bertone, the role of the X1/9 was to replace the Fiat 850 Spider.

By 1969, Bertone convinced Fiat that a mid-engined car could be produced to fulfil the role of the Fiat 128 Spider. For the 1969 Turin Motor Show, Bertone produced the Runabout based on Autobianchi A112 mechanicals.

From these origins, over the next two to three years, the X1/9 we know was developed. Proposed draconian crash laws (50 mph head-on and 80 mph rollover) to be brought in by the USA caused heavy crash protection to be designed into the X1/9, indeed the X1/9 passed these tests that were never brought in. Thus the X1/9 was designed with a body and separate crash-bearing members to withstand such enormous impacts, but with the penalty that the two-seater X1/9 weighed 65kg more than the four-seater 128 Sport Coupe.

Will

Just don't find yourself crushed between two trucks..

somewhere I have a picture of a BMW that landed on top of an X1/9, crushed the windshield frame but totally missed the targa bar - I hope the driver of that X1/9 ducked.. ouch. (I'm looking for that pic, it's from a newspaper article written in German - anyone else have it handy?)

Late 75 was the intro for the hood catches

At least that's what a tread in the archives said. :)

Back