Killed or Hurt in an X 1/9

Sydney death

There was a news story about a Fiat X19 driver killed in Sydney about 5 years ago. The car went off the freeway at high speed.
I've tried to find the photos of Ash Simmons white twin cam x19 that was totaled here in Adelaide a few years ago. It was driven by his mate and he walked away unhurt I believe.
I had a bad accident in my 78 X19 in 1978. Hit by a motorcycle on the side going about 50mph. I was lucky that it hit the car at the strongest point, just behind the door. I walked away unhurt from that as well. I did post up photos and a story about this on the old xweb site in 2008.
Terry
1978 Fiat X19 1300
1981 Fiat X1/9 1500
1971 Fiat Spider BS1 1600

He had; no license, no registration, no inspection, stolen plates, and of course, no insurance. They let him walk.

]
I read that and then looked up in the right hand corner and sure enough you live in California. That is not uncommon. I know of two similar incidents that happened when I lived out there. Both friends were injured and left with a pill of rubble while the other driver was not charged and simply let go. P*sses me off!

.....then looked up in the right hand corner and sure enough you live in California. That is not uncommon. I know of two similar incidents that happened when I lived out there. Both friends were injured and left with a pill of rubble while the other driver was not charged and simply let go. P*sses me off!

Eh, it happens all over. Not in an X, but I was stuck by an uninsured motorists in VA, same thing. My insurance had to pay, other driver not arrested or financially impacted.

Here is your post Terry

I had a bad accident in my 78 X19 in 1978. Hit by a motorcycle on the side going about 50mph. I was lucky that it hit the car at the strongest point, just behind the door. I walked away unhurt from that as well. I did post up photos and a story about this on the old xweb site in 2008.
Terry

Fresh from the archives... well I had to dust it off and remove the cobwebs. :)
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1213704355/Life+is+full+of+surprises

Vince,

I know that you went through a lot, but I'm glad that 30 years later everything still works and you're still among us.

It was good seeing you again last week at Tony's house. Thanks again for breakfast. Next time is on me with the $20 Tony owes me.

Mike

X1/9 Death

Well, my dad's best friend died in his x1/9 and his girlfriend survived with some scrapes...the car was a 1976 (white) with brown interior. It was the car that got me loving X1/9's...I was 9 yrs old. It was 4 am and he was at a stop getting out from a party and a truck from a local newspaper was delivering them in bulk, was backing up fast and didnt see him, hit the car on the A pilar, the back bumper was at his eye level, he got stuck between the trucks back bumper and the targa and crushed his skull. the car did stop the rest of the truck when the tire hit the lower body of the car. They did take pics of the car but I was not allowed to see them. My dad says the car was amazingly strong and did not deter him from buying my first car at 16, which was a 1981 X1/9, first of many. Gian Mauro

Well, my dad's best friend died in his x1/9 and his girlfriend survived with some scrapes...the car was a 1976 (white) with brown interior. It was the car that got me loving X1/9's...I was 9 yrs old. It was 4 am and he was at a stop getting out from a party and a truck from a local newspaper was delivering them in bulk, was backing up fast and didnt see him, hit the car on the A pilar, the back bumper was at his eye level, he got stuck between the trucks back bumper and the targa and crushed his skull. the car did stop the rest of the truck when the tire hit the lower body of the car. They did take pics of the car but I was not allowed to see them. My dad says the car was amazingly strong and did not deter him from buying my first car at 16, which was a 1981 X1/9, first of many. Gian Mauro

Sorry to hear about your friend...............So he was in the drivers seat and it crushed the windshield on him?? Just wanted to clarify... I often think about if I would duck in an accident in these cars..
Trucks are scary..

X1/9 Death

The truck hit the car at an angle, backing up into it as it was turning so his head was stuck between the targa bar and the bumper of the truck, the A pillar pretty much flattened..it must have been very fast. his girlfriend got cut in the head because when the car got hit the targa roof popped up and a corner hit her in the head.

Thanks Jim

You're amazing!

Sadly, I ended up parting out the blue car. In hindsight, I wish I would have kept and rebuilt it as it was a great original, rust free car.
Cheers,
Terry

1978 Fiat X19 1300
1981 Fiat X19 1500
1971 Fiat Spider BS1 1600

Surprised nobody posted Brett's accident in the RIP Melo Yelo HERE

Yeah, I've been reading this thread but hadn't responded since I'd already told my story... these are amazingly strong little cars to have protected me so well essentially going 60 to 0 in a very few feet.

I recently was told another story...
Guy and his buddy AND a girlfriend in the middle all traveling to the coast in an X-1/9. Guy gets busy/distracted with the girl on the curvy road, lost control and flipped X-1/9 end over end into a river. All three walked away. Amazing!

OK.........

Thats 2

I remember back in the late 90s. I was selling volvos and we had a statistic that we were using to promote safety that said from 1987 to 1992 no one had been killed in a 240 series volvo. I wonder how much of that is true and if someone has stats on this. It intrigues me to know that so far only 2 folks have passed in one of these cars and both incidents are not in a Car on Car accident but in very bizarre circumstantial accidents.

I recently was told another story...
Guy and his buddy AND a girlfriend in the middle all traveling to the coast in an X-1/9. Guy gets busy/distracted with the girl on the curvy road, lost control and flipped X-1/9 end over end into a river. All three walked away. Amazing!
Three adults in an X19? That must have been cozy.

Wreck in 2008

I was in an accident in 2008. A car pulled in front of me and I T-Boned it at maybe 25 - 30 MPH after some braking. I braced for the impact at the last moment and my shoulders and back took a good jolt. There was a lot of torn muscle, and I ended up with permanent nerve damage in my back. The apparent lack of crumple zones in my '80 X meant that I directly received most of the force, but at the same time, it's hard to compromise the cabin, so I think that X's are pretty safe for a small car, as long as you aren't hit from the side with a tall vehicle (Truck, SUV).

I dunno...

I dunno... I think the X has more crumple zone up front than most, no engine to engineer out of the way either.

I keep teasing my daughter her first car (If I have anything to do with it) will be an X we refurb together. One of the safer cars out there IMHO. She wants a 500e though.

Of course she does!

I keep teasing my daughter her first car (If I have anything to do with it) will be an X we refurb together. One of the safer cars out there IMHO. She wants a 500e though.

That's because the 500e is a girls car! :lol: :wink2:
(flood gates open!)

Hee hee, Bob.......!

.....That's because the 500e is a girls car! :lol: :wink2:
(flood gates open!)......

.....you must be one of those guys that just looooooves being whipped across your bare back with a wet leather whip!! :devil:

cheers, Ian - NZ

not quite an X1/9 - but speaking of trucks.. ANYTHING can happen to anybody in any car no matter how safe..

Luckily this guy was ok to tell the tale - and from what I recall, he did duck!

Look closely at the picture

The only reason this guy is alive and not an organ doner is that piece of c-channel steel that hangs low to catch the car.

This simple device installed on tractor trailers several years ago has done a tremendous job in reducing fatalities.

With the new radar a lidar technologies as well as vehicle to vehicle communications, I can foresee a tremendous reduction in fatals within the next 10 years.

They'll have to come up with another source for doners.

Will

Back