Killed or Hurt in an X 1/9

I was in an accident in 2008. A car pulled in front of me and I T-Boned it at maybe 25 - 30 MPH after some braking. I braced for the impact at the last moment and my shoulders and back took a good jolt. There was a lot of torn muscle, and I ended up with permanent nerve damage in my back. The apparent lack of crumple zones in my '80 X meant that I directly received most of the force, but at the same time, it's hard to compromise the cabin, so I think that X's are pretty safe for a small car, as long as you aren't hit from the side with a tall vehicle (Truck, SUV).

I think I remember you posting pics of this accident....

Crash #2

I had a 1987 Bertone X 1/9 with some engine and suspension work done. The car was my daily driver and had nearly 350,000 miles on the original engine. I was on my way to work in downtown Los Angeles about two blocks from my parking lot when a guy in an infinity G35 ran a red light and hit me. The Infinity was probably traveling about 40 mph and didn't brake at all until after the impact. I was originally travelling about 40 mph as well, but I saw him coming and hit the brakes so was probably going a lot slower by the time he hit me. His front bumper hit the front right quarter panel and front right wheel on my X. The impact spun my car almost a complete 180 degrees so I was now facing the wrong direction on a one way street. I got out to check the damage and found that besides crumbling my fender, the front suspension was also bent. The insurance company declared my car a total loss and I am pretty sure the infinity was a total loss as well. The infinity had a lot more visible damage then my X and his airbag even deployed. The damage was too extensive around the suspension to make it worth fixing so I stripped the car of everything I could and junked the body. The only injury I really had from the accident was that my thumbs were sore because I gripped the steering wheel pretty hard right at impact. The infinity driver had some red marks on his face, I think they may have been caused by his airbag. I had a bunch of pictures of the car after the accident, but my Iphone crashed and I lost all of them.

My '78 was totaled after a '60s Chevy Nova blew a stop sign and t-boned my passenger side - I was doing about 55-60, he was doing about 35. My mom was in the passenger seat.

The X spun big-time across the oncoming lane, luckilly, no contact there. Eventually came to rest on the opposite side shoulder, facing the wrong way, but with no significant injuries or fatalities.

The Nova caught the tail edge of the passenger door, and then really hit big on the rear engine compartment side. The back of the door was bent, but it still opened and closed (and latched!). But the rear structure was pretty buggared.

She had her arm rested on the passenger door armrest, with her hand inside the grab handle (her normal riding posture when I was driving) - the side impact there resulted in a few bruises on her arm, but nothing broken.

The driver of the Nova was a freshly licensed (16? 17? year old), who had saved all his money to buy the Nova, and had take up a job at a grocery store to earn enough money for gas and insurance. Not sure he got to keep the Nova after that. :p

I got more in insurance settlement than I paid for the car (which wasn't much), but that was a nice little plus. Used the money to buy a used Datsun 280ZX 2+2. No regrets there, but I don't regret selling it either. ;)

To this day, I still see the X as an extraordinarily safe car, then and now. As we cut the structure apart to put in the roll cage and rotary driveline in the Lemons car, it was astonishing how much structure (and weight) is in there.

u563.jpg

s2sc.jpg

Back