Tire Size Question ?

davidb

Daily Driver
I have 13” wheels now. 195/60 tires on the front. 205/60 tires rear. I’m going to 14x6
wheels. Should I put the same aspect ratio tires on the 14” wheels? I don’t want
overly wide tires that make the car look ridiculous. Thank you gentlemen !

You will need to go to 55 aspect ratio on the front maximum. Hard to find size in many markets. I have 185/55 14 for one of my X’s all the way around which gives good clearance. You likely could go with 195/60 14 in the rear. I don’t know what tires you will find matching in mismatched sizes.

Last edited:
I have 13” wheels now. 195/60 tires on the front. 205/60 tires rear. I’m going to 14x6
wheels. Should I put the same aspect ratio tires on the 14” wheels? I don’t want
185/55/14 would be the tire size..

If stock or close to stock, why the larger rear tires?

Bernice

davidb: You should refer to the WIKI on this site and read the Wheels/tires wiki before you make a decision.

davidb: You should refer to the WIKI on this site and read the Wheels/tires wiki before you make a decision.
Are the Wiki's X1/9 tire and wheel size recommendations valid for davidb's Lancia? I always thought the Lancias looked like they had more room in the wells, but I have never owned one or looked real closely at one in person.

Are the Wiki's X1/9 tire and wheel size recommendations valid for davidb's Lancia? I always thought the Lancias looked like they had more room in the wells, but I have never owned one or looked real closely at one in person.
Good point. I was thinking X 1/9. I have never owned a Scorpion. The stock 185/70R13 Scorpion tire OD is 23.5. A 185/65R14 is 23.5. A 205/60R14 is 23.8.
What will fit without rubbing will depend on wheel offset, wheel width and how his car is changed from stock ride height. If the chassis is standard specification and the owner desires to retain the admirable suspension travel and handling balance of the Lancia, I would caution against:
- lowering the car beyond getting the rocker panel parallel to the ground plane (as compared to nose-high)
- selecting a wheel/tire combination which is heavier than the stock wheels and tires
- a tire combination where the rear profile designator ( the /70, /65/ /60) number is lower at the front than at the rear.
Some Lancia Beta had an alloy 5.5" x 14 wheel with an optional 185/65HR14 Pirelli P6. I wonder if that wheel will mate to the Scorpion hubs and if that Beta wheel is the correct offset for fender clearance on a Scorpion.

Dang it I was caught out on the whole Scorpacarlo X1/20 forum Doh!
Good point. I was thinking X 1/9. I have never owned a Scorpion. The stock 185/70R13 Scorpion tire OD is 23.5. A 185/65R14 is 23.5. A 205/60R14 is 23.8.
What will fit without rubbing will depend on wheel offset, wheel width and how his car is changed from stock ride height. If the chassis is standard specification and the owner desires to retain the admirable suspension travel and handling balance of the Lancia, I would caution against:
- lowering the car beyond getting the rocker panel parallel to the ground plane (as compared to nose-high)
- selecting a wheel/tire combination which is heavier than the stock wheels and tires
- a tire combination where the rear profile designator ( the /70, /65/ /60) number is lower at the front than at the rear.
Some Lancia Beta had an alloy 5.5" x 14 wheel with an optional 185/65HR14 Pirelli P6. I wonder if that wheel will mate to the Scorpion hubs and if that Beta wheel is the correct offset for fender clearance on a Scorpion.

Thank you all for the reply’s. This is a Scorpion not X 1/9. Factory springs.
Meaning D.O.T., U.S.A., N.A. (North American) as Lancia labeled it. The
wheel offset - so I’ve been told is 22 degrees. Also been told Beta/Beta
meaning Coupe, H.P.E. Sedan & Zagato 14” five spoke alloy wheels
have the wrong offset. What that offset is I don’t know. Thanks again.

Thank you all for the reply’s. This is a Scorpion not X 1/9. Factory springs.
Meaning D.O.T., U.S.A., N.A. (North American) as Lancia labeled it. The
wheel offset - so I’ve been told is 22 degrees. Also been told Beta/Beta
meaning Coupe, H.P.E. Sedan & Zagato 14” five spoke alloy wheels
have the wrong offset. What that offset is I don’t know. Thanks again.
Sorry for the red herrings.

Yes the Beta wheels are a FWD offset the CD160 has an offset of 34mm versus the OE Scorpion 6 x 13 with an offset of 25. The struts, hub and so on are effectively the same as an X with the biggest difference being, as you mentioned, the fender body work opening. The Beta wheels could be used as is or with a 10mm spacer. The Beta wheel at 5.5” wide can’t take as wide a tire as the 13 x 6” of the Scorpion wheel.

Using a wheel/tire calculator will help you visualize the issues with installing larger rims and tires. This one allows you to input many of the dimensions of the car on the left side and then the tire/rim across the top: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

Finding a set of Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT 5 spoke CD50 wheels (often referred to as Daytona’s after the same design used on the Ferrari Daytona) at 14 x 6 22mm offset would allow a bit more tire width and the offset would eat up some of the increased width towards the strut.

There are also the 7x15 25mm offset wheels sometimes referred to as Senna wheels or Volumex wheels, there are variations at 15mm offset as well which may be a better fit for the strut.
Autoricambi carries a variety of 15” wheels which are similar and can work.

On the front you will still have the same issues of tire diameter and width interfering with the spring perch on a standard strut which can be mitigated by going to a ‘coil over’ which has a much smaller spring allowing you to have a taller tire/wheel package that reaches further into to the wheel well.

I have never owned a Scorpion so don’t know the other pratfalls of the wheel openings and wheel house so hopefully another Scorpion owner will chime in.

Thank you knead for your thorough reply post. The 14” wheels I am looking
at buying are repro CD 50s (as you referenced). 14” x 6”, not the 14” x 7”
wheels as stock on 308 GT4s, etc. This selection is getting confusing!
Wheel offsets . . . tire size. And of course cost considerations. Thx.

LanciaClassicCheckeredFlag.jpg

205x55VR14 all around, These are Toyos which have wider girth at sidewall than regular street tires and am on Montecarlo springs with very much lightened vehicle weight.

So the offset should be 22? Is the bolt pattern 4 x 98? I’m only finding
4 x 108 bolt patterns available for sale on-line. This is confusing.

So the offset should be 22? Is the bolt pattern 4 x 98? I’m only finding
4 x 108 bolt patterns available for sale on-line. This is confusing.
No surprise you couldn't find them new. Those are Alfetta wheels, which were 4x98 mm. Most Alfa wheels from that period got a 4x108 bolt pattern, which evolve progressively to 5x108, then 5x110mm .

Last edited:
Daniel: You are correct. All I see on-line for the CD 50s I want to fit my
Scorpion are Alfa this - - - Alfa that. On & on. Thx for posting.

Back