The Multi Air Project

Really impressive work

I have always wondered what to do when my Uno Turbo dies.

Very nice job!

Congratulation! I am very appreciative for your diligence and expertise in pioneering this project. I hope to one day piggyback on your success and install a 500 Abarth motor in my Strada.

Wow that is great!

Magnificent work. You all have every reason to be proud of the work completed.

Any chance of more in process info?

Dumb question, is there room enough for a 6 speed manual?

Sounds and looks like a hoot.

Very impressive and thanks for sharing the results of your work with everyone here. Looking fwd to seeing and hearing about more updates in the future! Stock Abarth multi-air HP is ~160, correct?

Hard work rewarded - good job

Brilliant result :excited:

I can forgive you any grumpiness you may have experienced (ask me how I know). The Canbus is a challenge. I have nearly finished listing all the functions and I have many questions about what can be made redundant, it is not an easy task transplanting the whole shebang. It was wise to keep a low profile.

Did you move the turbo over so it is above the gearbox or just modify the firewall?

jpg-bzsignalflags.jpg

(I wondered where Matt's mule went to)

Fantastic...!

I am truly amazed at the "if you can dream it..." attitudes here on xWeb. This is one more pretty frickin awesome swap! I am going to have a million questions soon, but for now. Great Job!!

Firewall Cut Jig

Brilliant result :excited:

I can forgive you any grumpiness you may have experienced (ask me how I know). The Canbus is a challenge. I have nearly finished listing all the functions and I have many questions about what can be made redundant, it is not an easy task transplanting the whole shebang. It was wise to keep a low profile.

Did you move the turbo over so it is above the gearbox or just modify the firewall?

jpg-bzsignalflags.jpg

(I wondered where Matt's mule went to)

No changes were made to the engine or transmission.
Here is the transfer Jig used to do the cut set up on the test body.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

WOW AMAZING

Wow this car is awesome I love it and I'm really jealous . As far as the car's back end stepping out on you and having to be carefull to not spin out the fist thing you need is new sticky tire's get some Toyo R888 185/60-13 on some 13x7 wheels next get a new shock and spring package and a font sway bar for springs try 450# front and 400# rear from there you need an alignment I would try 1.5 degrees negative camber on all four corners with zero toe front 8th inch positive tow rear for nice street alignment . For road racing and autox you would need a lot heavier weight Springs like 600 front for 450 rear and no sway bar. I hope this helps .I hope you really consider doing suspension and tires to me it makes no sense to have all this power and not be able to control it and then on top of that add more power.have fun and keep it between the ditches .

Tony didn't mention (I don't think) if he upgraded the struts/springs so that is a must to-do. That alone will help with the crazy rear end drift out. The Abarth has insane torque steer when the turbo is letting loose, so I could just imagine what that must be like in the rear in an x19 :excited:

WOW

that girl looks spooky fast and sounds incredible!!! IMHO way better than a K20 conversion (apologies to those that have taken that road)
now..... after you document the trials and tribulations of the total install, I might add another x to the flock altho my wife will cause me to me homeless....:excited:
mikemo
gotta go now, have to watch the video again

Nice work gentlemen

Congrats Tony and Bob!

What a great effort. I look forward to seeing the car and you two at FFO. In that order! Ha! ;)

Well, counting you and me... Yes... but I have some...

newbies here in LA-LA-LAND that don't despise me yet. It'll take a while... HA!

that girl looks spooky fast and sounds incredible!!! IMHO way better than a K20 conversion (apologies to those that have taken that road)
now..... after you document the trials and tribulations of the total install, I might add another x to the flock altho my wife will cause me to me homeless....:excited:
mikemo
gotta go now, have to watch the video again

No need to apologize (to me). Way cooler swap. I will have to check with HooverSpeed if the wrecked Abarth they had still has the engine...Likely not :( But if we still have it, then I have my next project lined up... ;-)

Very impressive and thanks for sharing the results of your work with everyone here. Looking fwd to seeing and hearing about more updates in the future! Stock Abarth multi-air HP is ~160, correct?

160 HP yes, BUT you can get a good amount of additional ponies with a simple ECM upgrade for under $600.00. I never got my abarth dyno'd with my ECM upgrade, but I have heard 25-35 HP is typical. I could definitely feel at least another 25 for sure.

Numbers...

I'll say it. How fast is it? I know every one here is salivating with the thought of jaw dropping acceleration. I'm going to guess 0-60 at least in the very low 6 second range, maybe even better.

Part of the Process.

First off the project is 95% complete. There is tuning to be done to the ECU and in conversation with Brett, who has his Abarth tuned, there is promise and options that I would like to explore. I have not stop watch tested the car yet.

Anyway, part of the process is shown here on the You Tube video that has not be locked down for the last year, just few people have bothered to look at it. A lot of work, but it is the way I do things.
The video is 10 minutes long, not exciting, but is part of the process that I did to make this project come true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da2N9pozZZA

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Nice video. Really enjoyed seeing your process. Great skills you have acquired which are clearly standing you in good stead. :excited:

I presume with the exhaust/turbo in that area you have relocated the fuel tank or did you also modify the tank accordingly?

I don't recall from perusing an OE Abarth, does it have an insulating sleeve around the turbo to keep the heat in?

Feel free to post any and all imagery and videos about this project, clearly great learnings to be had.

Back