The free X1/9 and what I'm doing with it post

1500 pistons have a large cast in flycut, here's a comparison between small and large valve flycuts, pretty easy to see the difference.
Are the large-flycut 1500 pistons different (other than bore, 86mm vs 86.4 mm) than the large flycut pistons that Fiat started using in the 1300 in 1978? There's a Fiat service letter here (from Brad's magic stash) saying that compression height is increased to maintain the same CR as the earlier small-flycut pistons.

I've never seen a large flycut 1300 piston, but I guess it's possible that the static CR was maintained at 8.5:1 (though I think unlikely) as it would require a CH of approx 0.6 / 0.7mm taller to maintain the same static CR, which means a CH of 53.2/ 53.3 on a large flycut piston (this is assuming the small flycut pistons in the US motors were infact the same CH as the euro equivalents at 34.7mm), and I've never seen a parts listing for one like this.

SteveC

To answer your question about painting the inside of the block, Glyptal enamel has been used to help oil flow back to the pan quicker by the hot rod crowd for years. Not sure if this was the reason. It's painted on all the rough cast surfaces.

To answer your question about painting the inside of the block, Glyptal enamel has been used to help oil flow back to the pan quicker by the hot rod crowd for years. Not sure if this was the reason. It's painted on all the rough cast surfaces.

Good to know because it is durable and slippery.

I've also seen it used to seal porous mag wheels. It's painted in the area between the beads to keep the wheels from losing air.

french blue with tan interior is pretty nice, my "parts" car is that combo medium metallic blue I think, I like it
I'm still loving the lime green though

I've seen this car up close: what a great base to start from! It's going to look awesome when done.

Thanks for the support; it's in the "what the heck have I done" phase right now. We need to get the Atlanta folks together - maybe when they reconnect i85!

I believe the only reason they keep saying "non combustible" is because the COA owned and stored all that crap there. Of course they're combustible, they com-busted.

On the X, I did nothing to it all weekend except push it forward in the garage. The weather was too perfect to be in a garage. Later this week, more sanding I'm sure. I want it in the paint shop by June if possible; lots of sanding to do before then. I was told today to use paper grocery bags for the final sanding, because they are the equivalent of 2,000 grit sandpaper. News to me; a guess a rubdown with paper bags wouldn't hurt?!

I believe the only reason they keep saying "non combustible" is because the COA owned and stored all that crap there. Of course they're combustible, they com-busted.

On the X, I did nothing to it all weekend except push it forward in the garage. The weather was too perfect to be in a garage. Later this week, more sanding I'm sure. I want it in the paint shop by June if possible; lots of sanding to do before then. I was told today to use paper grocery bags for the final sanding, because they are the equivalent of 2,000 grit sandpaper. News to me; a guess a rubdown with paper bags wouldn't hurt?!

When you say final sanding, are you talking about the top coat or the primer? Never heard of sanding primer past 600 or 800. The paint needs some "tooth".

When you say final sanding, are you talking about the top coat or the primer? Never heard of sanding primer past 600 or 800. The paint needs some "tooth".

Honestly it didn't sound right to me in either case; I'm currently getting it all consistent and smooth with 220 and I'll let the painter do the rest. I would assume post-primer we'll get after with 200 and 400 and then they'll paint it and do whatever other magic. That is, if I don't paint it, then it will just be a wavy mess!

Doing all the prep work yourself and having someone do the actual finish is a great way to. I wouldn't be brave enough to shoot a finish if I hadn't had lots of practice shooting primer first.

Back