Serpentine Belt / Pulley Conversion?

AC clutch came. At first I was concerned - the bore was a different size than the Volvo/Sanden compressor I was using for mockup. I borrowed a hub puller & removed the clutch & hub from the compressor still attached to the car. It is the same bore size, etc.

X19Serp00055.jpg

I'll use the magnet to roughly center the clutch on the Volvo compressor, just so I can confirm the belt fitment & adjustment on the engine while it's out of the car.

Last edited:
Basically done. Only thing I can't confirm is exactly which ribs the belt will sit on the AC clutch, since I don't have the Fiat/Sanden on the mockup. K050523 belt looks to be perfect. Now I can get the crank hub welded.

X19-Serp00066.jpg

X19-Serp00058.jpg

Last edited:
So, ummm.......

...I was checking something in the engine bay last night, and when looking down the belt side of the engine I noticed there is not much room with the standard v-belt set up.

So Hussein, hate to ask this coz I'm sure you've already checked, but is this going to fit???

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still considering doing something similar.

Rob

Yeah - I know. I checked that no pulley protrudes further than the original pulleys - the stock double-V WP pulley on an AC car is very close to the frame rail (see earlier pic), as is the alt pulley.

IMG_7684.jpg

Last edited:
Water pump pulley

WP pulley is from 89-97 (maybe other years, but that's what I found it under) Toyota Corolla/Geo Prism

I found one from a 93-97 Corolla.

The two small holes are actually folded over (a cheap version of riveting?) to hold the two halves together so it looked just like Husseins:

10 seconds with a suitably sized drill bit and the two halves were separated.

My alternator and crank (Volvo PS pulley) should arrive tomorrow.

In the meantime it has been way too cold to work in the garage, so little progress on the new engine build.

Cheers,

Rob

I have the crank hub/pulley welded at the correct offset - I'll measure it tomorrow so you'll have a reference for yours.

Too cold here to work outside, so my engine is still sitting in the basement.

From the backside of the hub (where the t/belt rides, not the shoulder that sits into the crank gear) to the outer inner lip of the pulley there should be .035" offset - can't really deviate further out or you'll loose the inner shoulder seat. I had the pulley welded in three spots front and back. I need to have him check the balance, as it appears that the heat my have distorted the pulley outer lip. Shaving in the lathe should fix that.

null_zpsf5d000b5.jpg

Last edited:
What year/model did it cone from? After '04 they increased the OD - older than '99 was a different pump, also with larger pulley. I'll recheck mine later this evening, however in pretty certain it was near as dammit 5". 1/2" larger will mean the timing marker on the front won't fit without modding.

Listed on evilbay...

...as "850 93-97 V70 S70 98".

Ooops, I think I transposed your alternator and PS pump years!

Yeah - that's not going to work out. The additional issue will be the ID - there may be too little difference between the hub & pulley to provide a good surface 'bite'.

I have several, but thanks for the offer. Remeasured mine, it's 5".

The style pump you need looks like a small cube. Just make sure it has the metal pulley, since later and some replacements do not. Cheapest one I see on eBay is $68.... sucks when all you need is the pulley. No JY in your area? It's easy to remove - right on top of the motor.

EDIT: Some listings for $40... still need to PM them & confirm metal pulley, 5" OD this specific listing shows an 99-00 body S60, so more likely to be the one you want

item # 181311490922 superusedautoparts

Or as they like to be known these days 'automotive parts recyclers' ... but the wreckers to you and I...

SteveC

It's steel

It arrived and is all steel, so it is a good option. Cheaper and easier to find than the correct Volvo power steering pump.

Cheers,

Rob

Back