More Problems Found

Tim,
Thanks for the words. I have just about everything that needs to be replaced part wise, it is that with my garage I am unable to do what is needed safely.
I am taking time off to think about my Italian relationship and where I think it is going.
I originally purchased the X for my soon to be six year old son. Trying to recreate what my dad did for me during his short life.
The X is under it's cover and I will re-engage when I feel like it.
If not...then look for some deals coming your way. Mostly new parts.
Mike

well don't give up. See if their is someone local who will take you for a spin in theirs. They are a real kick to drive. I am going to post in that I did on my latest find. (boy was I frustrated). But think I have is sorted out now. (you will not believe my chain of events).

Rod,
I have not given up I am just stepping back and punting. I do vent a little bit that is me. Venting clears my head for better thinks to come in. Sometimes it is better to walk away for a little while and approach with a different mind set. That is what I am doing.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Back in 1982 (maybe 81 or 83) my older gave up on a 76 yellow and black X. I took it and had it semi running and it was a blast. Cost me two girl friends due to the Italian jealousy but it was sure fun. And my current 86 starts but there was just too much wrong for me to feel safe putting my son in the passenger seat. So, start one thing to fix and wound up with many things to fix. That is an X.
Once everything is in place and I have the timing correct she should be a blast.
Thanks again,
Mike

I have not given up I am just stepping back and punting.

Sometimes you just have to do that with these cars. Step away until the bug hits again.

Once, upon the third unsuccessful attempt at lifting and stabbing the transmission in the '81 (after TWO loose flywheels), I was at that point. I uttered an unmentionable statement, dropped the transmission in the gravel, and bought a new Golf TDI. Eventually I got enthusiastic about the '81 again.

Another time, after losing a valve guide from the BVH on the '74, then spending a stupid amount of time and money on a Uno Turbo conversion that wasn't successful I was at that point again. I renewed my motorcycle endorsement and bought a bike. Eventually I fixed the BVH and reinstalled the 1300 into the '74.

I don't know how many times I've been close to selling these aggravating cars and moving on, only to get the bug again. I'm now all enthusiastic about getting the '74 all 'purty for OR '16.

Sdlsaginaw,
That is exactly how I feel at times with my X. I did get back in under the dash when my wife went to pick up our son from school today and the brake block went together so smooth and easy. Now, I can't get the pedal assembly back into place. But tomorrow is another day. I hope I can get the pedal assembly done and bleed the brakes tomorrow. Then bleed the clutch as much as possible.
Thanks for sharing.
She is under a cover until I take a crack at it again.
V/r, Mike

Back