More Problems Found

P.O.D.

Previous Owner Disease.

Yes, I know it can be painful and trying to exorcise it.

These cars are sophisticated and misunderstood.

They are also rust prone.

They are also no younger than 29 years old.

They are also hard to find.

I can tell you that it is precisely because of POD that I will not let anyone touch my car, even to retire it--I remove the rims, I remove the old weights, I load them into the minivan to take to the tire shop.

NO ONE TOUCHES MY CAR, NOT EVEN TO OPEN THE TRUNK LIDS, OR ENGINE HATCH.

It is because I've seen so many of these cars meet any early death that I have learned to be like this.
It can be frustrating, but in the end I love the cars and will do what I need to protect them from the idiocy that is the rest of the world.

I'm not even sure I can bear to part with my beloved Alfredo of 16 years, which I have listed for sale here many times, but then vacillate when I realize how hard they are to find.

Once you get rid of one, it is very hard to get one back.

It took me more than half a decade to sort Alfredo, and I'm sure it will take you time too. These cars are about taking time. If you don't have the time, buy something else, and sell your car to someone who will love it.

Just my thoughts, and yours may vary.

C Snapp, Columbus Ohio

Very honest and up front. I appreciate that.

Now, my time for a story... Hope you all are sitting down.
In 1982 (I was just 16) my older brother purchased a 1976 yellow and black X. I still today love that color combo but am very afraid of what might come with it.
He gave up on her after two months of it not starting. So, I took it and had he X running (although not well) in about one month and I drove it two miles everyday to school. It beat walking even if I had to push it down a hill to get the X started.
Now the falling out;
I really believe that the 76 X was a very jealous car. Every time I was driving a girl home from school or taking a girl out on a date the X would act up even worse than it would with me alone. The X cost me two girl friends. At 17 and in high school my thought was that if a girl yells, "FIRE!!!" And I hear the door open and see her in the rear view mirror rolling down in a ditch at 35 mph it was time to get rid of the X. Flames were shooting out of the engine cover. As soon as I stopped the X and got to check on the girl the fire went out. The X was still running. I could not get the girl back into the X. She walked about 12 miles home and has never talked to me again. That was the second time the X cost me a girl so I signed the title of to the local recycle shop and taxied home.
I have always missed that X for some odd reason and it took me 33 years to get another one.
Everyone... You are right. I will always regret giving up on something I have always wanted to get back and have a passion for. There is not much wrong that (with help) I cannot fix. However, I might have to scale back on my enthusiasm when it comes to fixing the X and purchasing parts. Family will always be first.
My X a close second... Lol
Thanks guys,
Mike

PS, another car I have always missed was my stepfather's Alfa Romero Sprint Voleci hatchback (looks like a GTV6 but a four cylinder). Just loved that look.

Just my thoughts, and yours may vary.

C Snapp, Columbus Ohio

I concur. I've had mine close to 6 years and am still tweaking it back into shape. I trust it (now). If something goes wrong, it's my fault. It's really been fun. I need to start looking for another one. :huh2::huh2:

If I was to be caught looking at another car, it would be worst than me looking at another girl.
I just don't do it... Lol
Mike

Hang In there Tav

I've had my 78 X for FOUR years and still running on the 4th tank of gas. The first thing I had to do was a Complete brake job, including Masters. That took up the first Summer.
Mine had been in a barn for 4-5 years before I got her.
So far, Fuel lines have leaked. Coolant hoses have burst. Other little nuisance stuff.
So far, I've yet to get it out of my AAA Free Tow range from home, just in case something else breaks.
But every time I get a chance to take it out, somebody ask me about it or compliments it. Probably not a lot of X 1/9's in Nebraska, either.

Not going to get into the "family" issues. I was driving a Yellow 74 that almost killed me,when I met my future "ex" wife. We had a Black 76 for awhile, but it lost out to two girls. I've spent the last 20 years driving POS cars while taking care of them and one will graduate Med school in the near future. I bought the 78 as a retirement project, when "baby girl" graduated high school. The car I drove 1200 miles to her graduation cost me $800 and had 427000 miles on it.

Back to your "X" problems. Once you get the Brakes fixed, it will be "drivable", so you can at least take it out for a drive, leaky gas tank or not. Try getting your kids interested and use some simple stuff for "Quality Time". My 12 yr old daughter once helped me do a Timing Chain on a Ford 5.0 lt. and learned how to use a Torque Wrench and other things.

You have a very nice looking X 1/9. Just take your time and do what you can, when you can. Nebraska Winters last a lot longer than Winters in KY, so you should be able to find many opportunities to get in a few hours work, without sacrificing "family time".
At least, while you're in the garage, the wife will know where you are.

My only fear is, that if you let your wife talk you into selling it, there will be a lingering resentment for the rest of your "married" life.

Red Bull's comment about getting the kids interested reminded me of the 51 Ford I had. The Ford looked like it had been painted with red fingernail polish and a very small bush. I mean the paint was three dimensional. It was a nice summer day in So Cal so I rounded up a half dozen kids ranging from about 8 to 14 years old showed them the basics of wet sanding and putting them to work while I grilled some hot dogs and burgers. With the promise of some good BBQ, chips and soda my car was pretty close to bare metal in a matter of hours leaving me with very little to do except for the detail sanding. They were like little paint eating piranhas. Even a couple of the parents that showed up pitched in. So if you need a paint job you now know what to do. There may be some other applications you could apply this method of bribery to.

I have tried to get my five year old son interested in fixing the X but so far a futile effort. He will not even take bribes. He loves driving in it with the top off but will not get his hands dirty. He doesn't even like getting dirty playing in yard. He is my little weirdo and I am taking my time with him to see if he will ever become interested. Maybe one day. He loves the X so much he calls it his car... and still will not even hand me a wrench...lol
Currently;
I have sanded down and applied a rust inhibitor to the pedal assembly Then painted it flat black. I ran the MWB hoses and will now work on the rubber gaskets the hoses run through to get to the interior. A lot of work but if I take my time I will do it right. Not in a hurry.
Thanks,
Mike

I have sanded down and applied a rust inhibitor to the pedal assembly Then painted it flat black. . . Thanks,
Mike

Good move on the Flat Black. I was thinking protection from Brake fluid so I painted mine & the Cylinders with leftover Caliper Paint.
Too shiny. Hard to find the source of a leak, while installed position. :wall::wall::wall:

My 12 yr old was a gung-ho, Tomboy. Little sister preferred CARtoons. :thumbsup:

I'm in Omaha

Mike,

I just sent a direct message but I'm going to do this too. I'm just outside. Omaha. I haven't been on here for about a year. Went through a divorce (and more). That's all done now. I've sobered up (actually on the wagon) and I'm getting back to work on my X1/9. I've gotten pretty handy with mine. Perhaps I could give you a hand?

There's a Mike Tavalin in Bellevue. Is that you?

Dave

Is Mike in the Omaha area?

I'm so happy to possibly find X1/9 buddy, I can't stand it. You guys on the coasts have no idea. The only X I've ever seen is MINE.

I am the one I Bellevue. Actually, we are the only Tavalins in the Mid-West. Makes easy (and sort of scary) to find us. It would be great to have another X buddy.
Hopefully, see you soon.
Mike

Good to meet you

Mike,

Good to meet you. I apologize for my rabid enthusiasm. :) It's just that, as I think I said on one of of my many posts to you, I've never seen an X1/9 in person except for mine. And mine was pretty rough when I got it. Sounds like our situations are just opposite. Mine still looks pretty rough, but I've got it running and driving pretty well.

Dave

Yep.....

I have the hard word too..... but managed to sweet talk her in to a Porsche 968 recently.... mind you she does have a pizza oven, a summerhouse, a veggie garden, orchard, chicken run all built by my fair hand :)

I concur. I've had mine close to 6 years and am still tweaking it back into shape. I trust it (now).

We must have got ours around the same time - I was given mine 8/15/2009 :)

I'm never selling mine. I wanted one as a kid in England, and had a few Fiat 500's and a 850 coupe in my first couple years as a driver. I will continue to mess with mine until I am not physcially able :rolleyes2:

Doesn't matter what can and will go wrong with it, I will love it anyway.

Dang! I want to be your friend!

Let me know when the lift party is and we can gather to help.

After my "old" house sells I am hoping to roll some of the proceeds into a shop for my hobby as well. We shall see. I did get to work inside my new house's garage on my Golf with the wind howling outside and really enjoyed the experience...

:worship::worship::worship:
I'm loving my "shop" so far. What a great thing to have a dedicated space for projects. After decades of fiddling outside and in cold cluttered main garages, it's a just amazing. It's only going to get better as I collect more tools and hopefully more projects. I've got my lift waiting for me and am scheming to get more goodies, blast cabinets, an old oven for small powder coating, need an engine stand at some point......:lol::lol::lol:

Mike...

When you open a thread there is a DISPLAY MODE button on the right.

Click on it and it gives you a choice ot modes, LINEAR, HYBRID, and THREAD.

Try clicking on HYBRID and see if NOW you can reply to the person that wrote, and not to yourself. In that manner it helps to eliminate confusion for the reader and should make the post appear in a "more logical" order.

There may be something else you need to do as well... but as you SHOULD be able to see, I am answering YOU in line and indented like an "outline" and not originating a new string on the far left.

Anyways... ask JimD or BBrown for more details as I'm too old to remember.

Well another partial rant;

I now know that I am way over my head.
I will never be able to get this X running again. Things that should be simple are just too darn difficult. I can't even change out the hand break cables to the calipers without tearing down half of the X underneath.

Attempted the block on the inside (again) and just cannot get one fitting to angle correct. Front brake pads won't fit, and I can't even take the fuel tank out without serious risk to my life. Then there is the flange I post on the wanted section. Everyone thinks it is someone else that is in need. I couldn't even finish unless I take the muffler and the cat delete pipe to a shop and cut the ends off and the use a reducer... about 250.00, or somehow get the flange.
I was hoping to be finished with most this weekend to at least tackle the timing next week but I only got the down pipe mounted, an exhaust mount installed and then the O2 sensor plugged in. What a total waist of my weekend.

My wife wants me to just tear it down and sell all the parts to recover some of the money I have spent trying to get it safe and reliable. If she catches me on the right day I just might do it.
Man, what did I purchase? I do believe the PO must have gave up on her also. That is why I got her.
I'm going to take more time off and then maybe start again, that is a maybe. It is a lot easier to tear down an X than it is to rebuild one.

This X needs someone who has the garage and time to focus on her but I will never be able to sell her and recoup even close to what I have put into her as is. Most of the parts from MWB.

30 years of neglect is what I inherited and it is above my capabilities. I appreciate all the help through the forum but I cannot do this alone.
Tarp going on her.
Frustrated again,
Mike

Last edited:
Well,
I now know that I am way over my head.
In will never be able to get this X running again. Things that should be simple are just too darn difficult. I can't even change out the hand break cable to the calipers without tearing down half of the X.
Attempted the block on the inside (again) and just cannot get one fitting to angle correct. Front brake pads won't fit, and I can't even take the fuel tank out without serious risk to my life. Then there is the flange I post on the wanted section. Everyone thinks it is someone else that is in need. I couldn't even finish unless I take the muffler and the cat delete pipe to a shop and cut the ends off and the use a reducer... About 250.00.
I was hoping to be finished with most this weekend to at least tackle the timing next week but I only got done the down pipe and the o2 sensor mounted and plugged in. That is a total waist of my weekend.

My wife wants me to just tear it down and sell all the parts to recover some of the money I have spent trying to get it safe and reliable. If she catches me on the right day I just might do it.
Man, what did I purchase? I do believe the PO must have gave up on her also. That is why I got her.
I'm going to take anothermonth off and then start again, maybe. It is whole jog a lot easier to tear down an X than it is to rebuild one.
This X needs someone who has the garage and time to focus on her but I will never be able to sell her and recoup even close to what I have put into her. Most from MWB.
Frustrated again,
Mike

I don't want to be in anyway anti-fiat here, BUT...any classic or modern classic european car, especially a Fiat X19 take a fair amount of labor (of love) and or $ to make work and at some point it can come down to cutting your losses and keeping the family life from getting too negative. Not saying you are risking a marriage, but it is a partnership of sorts and if she doesn't share your passion, she will never see it as you do. Now, I am one to talk of course, spending TONS of $ on mine. Makes me cringe to think about it, but easily north of $12k all said over the many years, and that is me doing all the work. But, I am also divorced and free to spend how I like...Doesn't stop my daughter's mom from commenting here and there of course. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Whatever you do, I hope you think it through carefully.
Good luck...!
-TIm

Back