Let's Print some X1/9 parts!

Would it be possible to use LIDR and 3d image the parts then convert into a shape file that the printers would work with?
Or did I miss totally the reason for this thread.
Mike

Would it be possible to use LIDR and 3d image the parts then convert into a shape file that the printers would work with?
Or did I miss totally the reason for this thread.
Mike
You can defiantly do this. I think one of the issues being discussed was the warping at temperature. To solve this is a matter of printing the part with the right plastics that can take the heat. Annealing the parts also help prevent this by relieving stress in the print.

I've already searched the web for a 3D file of the X1/9 badge on the trunk, but I couldn't find any. Who can help?

"five speed" or "fuel injection" accepted as this is the text I want to edit. Even the font is special, for sure hand made. I was disappointed that both texts didn't use the same one. I like the "five speed" much more, but before designing or editing a font (everything is possible) I found the rinehart font that fit the best.
X19_badge.jpg
1708702787187.png

I've already searched the web for a 3D file of the X1/9 badge on the trunk, but I couldn't find any. Who can help?

"five speed" or "fuel injection" accepted as this is the text I want to edit. Even the font is special, for sure hand made. I was disappointed that both texts didn't use the same one. I like the "five speed" much more, but before designing or editing a font (everything is possible) I found the rinehart font that fit the best.
View attachment 81859View attachment 81860
If you had a sample badge in hand would you be able to scan it to get the font you desire?

If you had a sample badge in hand would you be able to scan it to get the font you desire?
Actually not the font is the problem. I like to 3D print the complete badge on my own. It is a unique design and not easy to construct in 3D. Therefor I'm looking for a 3D file (STEP or even STL).
Sorry for the confusion. The font was just additional information.

I suck at CAD, (says my daughter who has taken a few classes) I have only been 3d printing since Christmas. and figured it out in a pretty basic tinkercad (free online if you havent used it.) googled alot to figure out how to do certain things. that took me about 10 min

Odie

View attachment 81859View attachment 81860
I don't think I would bother with a 3d scan for this; the third dimension adds very little information. I would scan this on a flatbed scanner and import the result into Inkscape / CorelDraw / Illustrator and clean it up / modify it there. Once the 2d design is done, export the design to a vector format file (.dxf, .svg, ai, etc.) and bring it into a 3d CAD program to create a printable part.

I've started with another much smaller part. CubeSwitch on thingiverse.com Let me know if you need an other file format.
I've used it to add my own label, text or icon on the cube switches in the center console of BERTONE models. They will be designed as cutouts in the black material that are refilled with white plastic to have the contrast and translucent effect with and without illumination. Pictures will follow.
Constructed with FreeCAD and printed in ABS.
Screenshot 2024-03-23 181106.png

Last edited:
Back