how remove starter from 1300cc X1/9?

Thanks for the wire brush advice!

... BEFORE you do any of this... go the the LR of the car just behind the LR wheel and find the GROUND STRAP between the chassis and the trans. REMOVE IT, sand down or wire brush the strap and where it mounts and re-torque. This solves about 85% of all starter problems.
Secondly, if that doesn't do it, then pull the starter and usually the RED wire falls off its terminal... a re-crimp and reinstall solves the other 14%....
I finally found this posting after several days of looking for it because I wanted to thank you for the sage advice! I did those things - wire brush the grounding strap, tighten the clip that grips the spade lug on the solenoid, and wire brush other electrical connections. And now the re-manned OEM starter, which I had to re-install, works like new despite some egregious hot-soaks. Everybody should clean the electrical connections if there is starter trouble, especially on an older car. Tests with a volt-ohm meter don't reveal poor conductivity at connections that are supposed to pass large currents unless those currents are flowing and you see a large voltage drop across the connection. Oddly, all the connectors looked clean, and I felt I was wire brushing for nothing. But now the old OEM starter works fine.

I still intend to put in the IMI starter, though. Mark Allison has a new IMI starter that has the revised adapter plate waiting for me, and I figure I'll pick it up next week, and then screw my courage up to try the dreaded Starter Swap again.

Vido P.

HA! CONGRATULATIONS!

If you have a box of Kleenex handy I'll tell you of my THREE WEEK saga of chasing my electrical gremlins... removing and having PROFESSIONALS at rebuild facilities test my BATTERY, STARTER and ALTERNATOR, then reinstall them all only to chase all the POSITIVE electrical devices like solenoids, relays and ignition switches, then the all the wiring and terminals... ONLY to find that the &#%&^%$! ground strap that LOOKED GOOD, was not conducting worth a damn!

Now... that IMI starter of yours... HA!

Back