Fiat X1/9 1982 restoration/race build

I'll offer up my congratulations as well...

but must admit I have not been following your venture.

I would suggest you move that front license plate out of the airstream for the radiator. Probably best cut down or painted on the front spoiler. I'm almost positive at 60 mph or better that thing will deflect all the air AROUND the radiator and not THROUGH it.

I'm unsure about the laws in Hungary but most countries in that neck of the wood usually are fairly strict on modifications, which would include bumper removal.

Just some randeom thoughts, althought fairly negative, I'm really on your side! Continued success!

we wish

we all from europe wish to have a closer california where to find rust free x ..... but there is none ! you kill the car or work and save it , thoose are the only 2 choices :)) ....i know of :(

Good work !

You will be rewarded soon when it's complete and you can drive around with the top off and people looking at you with envy.

Did you resolve your question about the oil pressure?

Mike

Hi,

yes,oil pressure is like it should,and the old gauge reads a bit less than real.

Now the car is running,i am going today for a 200km trip to run in the engine. Nice sunny weather,top comes off :sun:

Looking great...

Looking good! I second Tony's recommendation to locate the front plate higher or lower, but out of the radiator air stream. If it's legal, I'd put it on the lower spoiler, seems like a good fit.

Well,its legal in my opinion if it is easily readable, The lower spoiler is way too small. I may put it higher instead,just under the nose cone.

Hi all,

car is nearly finished. I was on a 1/4 mile race last week,where I won the category in 1.6T class with best time of 13.237*168km/h

Yesterday,another race: first place again, best time 12.829*172 km/h
The car is incredible,i had 1.905s 60 feet on street tires.

Some videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSJsDnbyV94"]Fiat X1/9 1.6T drag, Radics1 racing, qualifications - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voGqjelYhQo"]Fiat X1/9 1.6T drag, Radics1 racing, semi finals - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEyjXvhlZIs"]Fiat X1/9 1.6T drag, Radics1 racing, final - YouTube[/ame]

I would like to add my congratulations. Your project is inspirational. None of us will ever complain about our rust issues again!

Cheers R

this may well be

my favorite thread on this board. It puts a huge smile on my face to see the work, progress and results. Nice job!

Thank you all!

I will continue with the fine tuning of the engine,there is some power potential in it,about 60 hp more. With better tires i expect to be in the low 12s area. Clutch needs to be upgraded again for this :wall:

Long time no reply here. I did not make much on the car,but had a race last weekend wich i won again.

Clucth is on the way to Hungary,so i had to race with my current one,wich is slipping at 1.1 bar already. No chance to gain hp.

My currently best time, on Toyo R888 street tires:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWYmDLc7u_E&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Fapuma Mitsubishi Evo vs Radics Ákos Fiat - YouTube[/ame]

That sounded really good, congrats. Was that race 1/4 mile or 1/8th mile distance?

'PeteX1/9

I just read through all the threads again and indeed seen that you are racing 1/4 mile distance which is very impressive in the 12's

Last edited:
Really nice build. Lots of work. Been there, done that before. But, it's nice to finally see the fruits of your labor.

Thank you!

Pete,

yes,it is 1/4 mile race usually, I dont like the 1/8,simply too short for a run.The final target is to get it to 11.99*200, will see how it is possible.

Hello guys,

some update: Best time is now 12.799*173 kmh.

Not a big gain,but the track was terrible,i had 2.050s 60 feet time on my best run.

After the race during the trip home,i heard some really strange noise from the engine. It sounded like a metal tube is hitted by another metal.Usually it was heard with slight accellerating from low revs like 1200 rpm.

Other Fiat guys told me,i need to suspect the rod bearings. As i had once head gasket failure and went about 10km with oil mixed with coolant (car run since this failure 1200km),it is possible to have now bad bearings. I removed the sump,but saw no metal particles in the oil and pan. I have checked the rods for movement,but they are fine. I will remove the caps for inspection later (missing tool for the rod bolt).

I recognized the pulley is loose,so maybe this made the strange sound. Crank bolt looks ok,but the pulley can move. I will remove this also for inspection.

Also checked the oil pump. It looks fine,no issues.
I have one question here: does anybody know how thick spacer could be used here to raise the oil pressure? I have max 4.5-5 bar running pressure at high revs and around 2 at idle-low speeds. It drops if the engine is too hot,but is still acceptable. As i have a turbo and have 300+ power goals,a it higher oil pressure should not harm anything. I want to have around +1 bar up top as i rev it to 8000.I read somewhere,that 10psi/1000 rpm is ok for race engines (naturally aspirated).

Thank you in advance!

12.799 run:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRrQdLVfx4k"]Fiat Punto GT 1.4 turbo (Dindi) vs Fiat X1/9 1.6 turbo (Radics Ákos) - YouTube[/ame]

Hi guys!

We had yesterday a race again. The car did 300km to the race track in the morning,after we arrived,changed the tires to the Toyo R888 and did the first run. Unfortunately the timeslip printer did not work,my mate told me that i ran 12.1. I could not believe him! Checked the time again at the organisers: 12.18*178! Holy crap, 0.6s faster than my personal best so far.

I had to do a second run immediately. With a bit less burnout and a noticeable hotter intercooler i could run a 12.3*178.8!

I was really amased from the results. The car is nearly the same as it was,same boost level around 1.2 bar. I did only small modifications in the ecu settings.The race track was really good this time,lot of people made personal records due to high traction.

In the finals i could gain a bit (maybe lower temp in the afternoon) with 12.15*178.6

Final goal of 11's is really not so far! :nuts:

Back