Fiat X1/9 1982 restoration/race build

Thanks Bob!

Yes,you are right,the X here is extremely rare,i have seen only 2 pcs running on the street,i think less than 100 are in my country,and most of them lying in a shed and waiting for a restoration.

I have seen also a really great car in excellent condition,wich belongs to a women,who has lived in Germany. Owns the car since 1982 i think,manufacturing date is 1980. It was always stored in the garage,never driven in winters. I found no rust nowhere,even the rear wheel arch in the rear trunk was in original condition.

I can buy some parts like fenders or doors,but they are either too expensive or in the same condition.

The X rust proofing was designed for the dessert. :nod:

Brake system: i wanted to get rid of the master cylinder under the dash,so added a Punti Gt master cylinder in the frunk.Will run cooled discs and calipers also on the front axle from Punto GT. The rear is untouched,but i may change it also to Punto item. Will see how the weight and brake distribution will be.Front caliper diameter is the same,but disc is bigger.

Most X19`s were built for the USA.And my hat is off for you my friend..:nod:.Here in USA you car would have been a "parts only car" for sure.Nice workmanship!! ...and you say you have done this kind of work before?:eyepop:,....are you sure???....keep us posted on the car progress,Nice job!!!:)

I say i haven't done such a restoration before. :)

I am familiar with any kind of engine/mechanic work,but was novice to the chassis/welding.

I have no pics now,but finished the brake system:new brake hoses are fitted. Also rebuild suspension struts are fitted,tomorrow i can change the remaining 2 rear wheel bearing and can put the car again on his own wheels. :king:

I keep here posted if i reach the next milestone :wink2:

Some news: paint job finished:

dscf6059v.jpg

dscf6058hj.jpg

dscf6055y.jpg

dscf6042d.jpg

dscf6035t.jpg

dscf6031c.jpg

dscf6061w.jpg

" Will run cooled discs and calipers also on the front axle from Punto GT. The rear is untouched,but i may change it also to Punto item. Will see how the weight and brake distribution will be.Front caliper diameter is the same,but disc is bigger."

Can you provide any more information or photos about this brake system upgrade. Is mounting the larger discs a straight bolt on with the stock X1/9 calipers or do other changes need to be made. Obviously finding Fiat Punto discs on this side of the pond would be impossible but maybe through Ebay of other countries may be achievable.

'PeteX1/9

Hi Pete,

I think the X1/9 calipers wont work,as the cooled disc are much thicker,about 20mm. I know the Uno turbo front brakes and discs are straight bolt on,with the punto gt,i had to drill 8mm spacer washers for the 2 bolts,wich holds the calipers.The calipers have same piston diameter,than the X has. My only fear is the weight distribution,as the x has much more weight on the rear.

I will take some photos,i think these are missing.

Ebay could work for sure,but shipping cost will be high.

i never cease to be amazed at the work

people do here. I mean, a new nose cone, just knock it out on the sheet metal press? Who does that?

Me? :cool:

It would be difficult to get a nose cone here in a good shape,maybe impossible,or too expensive. I know eurosport in the UK offers a repair panel for 129 pounds,but with shipping,it would up my budget.On other hand,if i count all the repair panels I did myself,we would be closer to the 1K pound mark :eyepop:

AZDrifter: And the benefit os the brake booster is also not negligible :)

Today we were working on the adapter plate for the VW tranny. Not an easy job,gearbox inpus shaft should be really inline with the crank. I have some fear about this,but we will see,how it works out.

No pics for today,but will shoot some if its ready.:whistle:

Some good news: engine fired up,megasquirt install is nearly finished

http://youtu.be/94sAPJ19GEY

Bad news: oil pressure gauge shows only 2 bar,independent of engine speed,it is on the same place at idle and at 3000 rpm.

Wire and instrument is fine,shows 8 bar if the wire is grounded.
Please note this is without the turbo! Gauge worked fine before disassembly,so i worry a bit. If i stop the engine and turn on the key,it takes 15-20s to get the red oil pressure warning light on,also the pressure gauge drops slowly,so all engine bearing clearance should be fine (everything is new,crank within original tolerances,new bearings,etc).

I used the stock x 1.5 oil pump,wich was in perfect condition.Looks like i have a faulty pressure sender,or the relief valve is opening way to early. I did not remove any washer from the pump,nor did anything to increase the pressure.:mad3:

Hello everyone,

i have a quick question: What is the oil pressure with the stock gauge at idle cold/warm and at higher revs,like 3000?

I get around 2 bar cold at idle,falls down to around 1,5,and is around 4 bar with warm engine at 3000.

I think it is a bit low,especially for a turbo engine,but read something similar on the web. PBS states it is around 55psi with warm engine.

Note: turbo is not yet fitted,so the oil circuit is like original,only a Punto GT oil cooler is fitted.

Thank you in advance!

Magnificent restoration!!!

You will be rewarded soon when it's complete and you can drive around with the top off and people looking at you with envy.

Did you resolve your question about the oil pressure?

Mike

Back