Can we now buy X1/9 parts at Fiat Chrysler Dealerships?

addition.

And your comparison of the Civic & Accord is weak.
Honda has to make parts still because both of these models were never killed off yet. Still in production means that the parts live on.

Bertone X1/9 was killed off in 1988.. :cry:

oh behavvvve

since it is most likely that the tooling cost millions to build, pretty sure it is out there somewhere. we just need to find it. and remember in order to make a profit at it, you have to make a ton of parts to be making any money. ask henk and ricardo. I am sure they would agree.
in this world of computer controlled manufacturing, might be feasible, but not really cost/profit effective. bummer:shock:
mikemo
have a small mill/lathe here and I am waiting for the stepper motors for the "y" and "z" axis and hoping to get my old dell tower to support a CNC program.
keep ya posted!!

If the truth be known......!

...... I bought a mechanical fuel pump with FIAT packaging and it cost $1.99.......

....that parts supplier was probably "over the moon" to finally quit that fuel pump from his "dead stock" shelf. The $1.99 sell price would not reflect even a fraction of what it had cost him over many years to retain it in his parts inventory!
Many years ago, I worked at a MAJOR automotive assembler-service + parts supplier here in NZ. A good friend/workmate of mine was the Parts & Accessories Manager. In a frank discussion with him years ago, on the very same subject that you have raised here, he assured me that if a particular part had "languished" on a shelf in his massive inventory for any longer than 7 YEARS, it would be marked for disposal (scrapping). A sad, but true, tale! :nod:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Interesting comments, I think I'll add my two cents. I know it would not be lucrative for Fiat, but some Car makers choose to support old models long after any reasonable obligations. BMW recently put together a New 1972? 2002 model from NOS parts, with the exception being they used a recycled shell. Everything else engine, glass, rubber, seats, trans, all new! Although not at 1972 prices, it is all available from the factory parts department and could be ordered thru your dealer, $$$. I believe Mercedes Benz does a similar thing with "classic models. For Fiat you would be hard pressed to find parts for a 90s Tipo or Stilo in a dealer in Italy. Everything is probably going to be supported from the aftermarket. It is a philosophical difference.

RJH, having worked in Fiat genuine parts for many years, the parts for the X19 fall into two categories. Those that are specific to the X19 model and fit nothing else that is or was production FIAT, and those parts that DID interchange with another model.

Many mechanical parts for our X19 were also common to many other models...for example a clutch kit.You should be able to go into a Fiat dealer, and if they can be bothered, you should be able to order and purchase the components, packed in genuine blue and white 'ricambi originali' packaging. There were models in europe that these items were production parts for well into the late 90's. There is also a strong aftermarket pattern parts industry in Italy that caters for these mechanical parts. The sohc engine was production in europe well into the 2000's.

But when it comes down to the specific items that fit an X19, and only an X19....it gets a little more complicated. The parts in many cases were not manufactured by Fiat. Many parts were sourced by BERTONE for fitment to the X19 bodies they supplied to Fiat. Bertones parts arm was known as SOCAR, and if you ever get to see genuine body panels, trim pieces etc, many have a socar label. It's these parts that Fiat will have no access to, the tooling for these parts in many cases still exists, but the economies of scale required to produce a NEW production run of many parts just doesn't.

Even in Italy many dealers parts inventories were simply sold off, and purchased by other businesses and individuals, as it simply wasn't worth holding that stock and taking up valuable space for items that just didn't move .... as they were far more interested in making available parts to the market (which at that point completely excluded north america) for the current production models at the time...think tipos, bravas, bravos, unos etc etc etc for the next 30 years.

In the interim, the internet arrives, online selling and E business, as well as online auctions like eBay simply cater for the demand..all those parts that were sold off wholesale back in the 90's have resurfaced online and are available if you look. It is simply not economically viable for Fiat to even consider doing any production runs of what are long obsolete body and trim parts which have been listed as NLA for many years on Fiat dealer price lists (which they never actually directly manufactured in the first place - remember the SOCAR reference) even in countries where Fiat has had a continuous presence. I'm sorry but that's the harsh reality.

To paraphrase a line from the X files (which in itself is sort of appropriate) ...."The parts are out there"

SteveC

Tooling

Sadly the tooling is likely long gone.

Once they decide to stop making the parts the tooling is scrapped as in its now rebar in some Chinese building...

Where I work we regularly scrap tooling once the part is no longer needed. We aren't going to store, inventory or maintain an asset that is not producing profits, we take the write off, write down or loss for it.

The body tools were all Bertone and they are no longer in existence so that stuff is all gone never to be run again. Once Fiat stopped having a volume production vehicle that used the same part as the X, once their inventory ran out they are just gone.

If a part was made by a sub contractor there is more hope as they likely kept tools longer as they supplied replacement parts and are likely the ones our vendors are dealing with.

It's really going to get ugly in a decade or so when makers run out of stock of the proprietary computers and controllers in modern cars, you can't just machine or cast a new one of those...

I think someone is 'aving a lend'

Not wishing to be disrespectful of the OP but the actuall concept is unrealistic to begin with.

Design obselesence has been with us in manafacturing for many decades, it is actually not in FCAs advantage to keep the old ( some say ) ancient cars on the road. Asside from the inventory nightmare there is an impetus to move people off old cars and onto new ones for a myriad of reasons, safety, fuel economy, manafacturing and employment etc.

Creating a new car costs an absolute bomb and the units shipped need to be maximised, you hurt yourself if you help keep the old fleet running, this is actually enbeded as regulation in Japan where they deamed a vehicle commercially defective with an escilating parts replacement shedule as the replacement of brakes etc etc ensure they are shifted to the scrap heap or grey market export so auto manafacturing keeps ticking over.

The tooling, factory / warehouse space and logistics alone would make it expensive for FCA to support the old Fiats like the X 1/9. I remember reading that some of Bertones big press tooling was sitting outside as 'curbing' in a carpark on one of his sites and went to the metal recyclers as no one was interested in it. What SteveC illustrated is spot on, a lot of say #176 xxx engine parts carried over but North America was out of the network by then, so the internet is your freind ( but for some interesting reasons your customs service is not) shop online if you can't find bits.

That crazy folks like us won't let go of these fantastic little cars runs counter to the majority of the population. That in itself is a bonus as hard working folks like Matt, Chris and the folks at Vicks on your continent that provide a service by recycling and sourcing parts for what is a very niche market. I have serious doubts that FCA could beat the efficiency that these small business people operate at to be profitable.

I have probably said this before but when I went to look at the Fiat 500's and poke around the engine compartments, the new dealership network had little knowledge of the cars Fiat used to make. Apparently the little 2 seater mid engined car I drove onto the forecort in could not be a Fiat as they never made a 2 seater Targa, couldn't I see all the 'Bertonieee' badges on it? I accept that as these young un's were busy selling a serious number of Jeep SUV's, so the general advise of 'Google it mate' was offered.

A little while later the young fella came out of the office and back over to the 500 I was poking around and was all excited and was all over the X. Offered a squirt around the block and the Millennials comment when he climbed out was " I wish Fiat made these - we would sell a truckload of em".

As some have said in this thread the numbers wouldn't support a new X 1/9 let alone carrying the old parts inventories of the old one. Down under asside from a small few loyal non FCA Fiat enterprises we have even less vendor support so we take advantage of Europe or the USA and pay the hideous freight costs. Where the parts do exist in NOS inventories at say Steve Cs old mans place or someone like Cileberti Motors in Perth where they have been at it for over 40 years why would someone expect that the parts be depreciating in price so they are worthless and we get them for nothing in what is a niche market. Why would anyone begrudge a niche business that makes the effort to supply parts to a 'obscure' brand, its a unique entity and applying mainstream manafacturing business models isn't realistic.

These folks have had these parts on dusty shelves and poked into rafters for decades so I accept if I want a NOS front bumper it is going to be priced accordingly. That businesses real estate space and the operating costs need to be reflected in the price or they would be better off on the dole and sitting on the beach. I am greatful that they are patient enough to horde these parts that would otherwise be non existant and I would be up the creek without a paddle when I eventually broke stuff.

As I replied to the young fella my X is 35 years old and will never be made again nor able to meet the nanny regualtions let alone meet a business case for FCA to make a modern one. Whilst the X 1/9 is a hoot to drive and own it is anchient and lives on becase 'enthisiasts' have fallen in love with them. The great uneducated masses and modern world has passed them by, treasure yours if you have a good'un.

I have come across this term before as I have been labled it in the past "Fiattightfista" were I sought something for very little. I still exibit this when looking for bits and I believe I am just frugal as any consumer has the right to be. Just remember that if the enthusiast vendors are not supported then you need to acknowledge that the corporate world has no reason to support you and won't, use these niche guys when it makes sense or they won't be around. If it was a Ferrari we wouldn't be having this dicussion.

Karls point is also spot on, I have been hording electronic parts of a Euro hatchback for a while now, bits are becoming unobtanium. There is a blackmarket trade for luxury car airbags etc, chop shops have just moved into the electronic age, so Karl it is already getting ugly.

Sun is out and its a warm winters day, I'll take the covers off, stick the targa in the frunk of the Turbo X and go for a squirt up the mountain and remember why I keep skinning my knuckles and scouring the vendors for bits of unobtanium. I'm going to have a big smile on my face that modern machinery can't provide for the same price.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Forza Fiat

Good read.
Say Hi to my son in Perth, will ya?
(he's there for a semester and it's too LOOOONNNGGG for his old man)

The X1/9 was never really a Fiat, the Chassis and many associated parts are pure Bertone with no production involvement from Fiat. There are numerous mechanical bits that are Fiat. Engine, gear box, some suspension parts (some shared from other Fiat cars, others are unique to the 1/9), some electricals which are some what industry standard (Bosch EFI and other electricals).

Bertone as a company is now gone and gone even longer are the tooling and related to make parts specific to the X1/9. Fiat never owned or used them in any way. To expect Fiat to produce parts for the x1/9 is extremely remote as Fiat would need to make completely new tooling for modern production machines to accomplish this from Bertone engineering drawings that may or may not be available anymore.

Adding to this, there are likely more 1970's Honda's on the road today than x1/9s world wide.. and the market value of an X1/9 is insignificant. Often less than a 1970's market desirable Honda. Why would any company like Fiat consider reproduction parts for a car with insignificant market value, extremely low volume and more factor that make reproduction parts a very poor business proposition?

If the X1/9 had a market status identical to say a Mercedes 300SL where a set of fire wall rubber grommets can sell easily for several thousand dollars on a collector vehicle with a market value in seven figures, factory reproduction parts are viable. How does this collector market reality related to the x1/9?

Even more, Fiat never wanted to produce the X1/9 from the very beginning. Fiat management was basically ordered to produce the X1/9 by G. Agnelli after a plea by Mr. N. Bertone.

To believe the X1/9 is a "Fiat" is shallow understanding of the history of this most significant and under appreciated design.

***The X1/9 is really a sort of production Italian Exotic coach builder (Bertone) car similar to the Lambo Miura and numerous others in many ways.. even if the vast majority of the collector car masses never understand or appreciate this fact.***

Here is a short I wrote for Hemmings regarding the x1/9 some years ago that offers some more insight as to why the X1/9 was never a Fiat production car and more..
http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2011/08/01/hmn_feature1.html

As for X1/9 service videos, they can be done. It takes a LOT of work to produce them. Have a look at some of the videos we have produced as examples like this one on sizing Mazda Rotary side seals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGGK93GErlE

There is an enormous amount of service and modification information on Xweb. do a search on most any topic related to the X1/9 and numerous answers can be found.

Some of the replies might appear mean, rude and down-right offensive, Do understand this comes from folks who have been associated with the X1/9 for a long time. This can and tend to breed a curmudgeon or in my case cronemudgen _ ish attitude on topics like this. Please try to understand the X1/9 is rather different than many vintage cars and car groups on the web as the folks who want to have a long-term association with this Bertone master piece tend to share some points of view tempered with the realities of keeping their X1/9 on the road and running well.

Bernice

I have to say some of the replies to my idea/question are really mean.

I posted some other ideas that I had like the recent suggestion of YouTube videos for X repairs and the board really liked the idea. If some you guys are going to be jerks and insult me, then I'll stop contributing.

Look. I can go to my local Honda dealer and get parts for my old 1994 Honda Accord. If they don't have them in stock, they can order them and I used to get them in 24 hours.

Yes, Fiat left the USA around 1983. But now they are back. Furthermore, they only left USA. I assume they had other countries that they still sold cars and parts in.

Were only talking 1980's which is not that different than going to a local Honda dealer and getting parts for let's say a 1986 Honda Civic. The very old Edsel example on board member gave is weak.

I suggest we find out who Fiat Chrysler USA's Head of Parts is and start a online petition asking for X1/9 + Bertone parts be brought back to Fiat Chrysler dealerships. Perhaps someone here would write a letter to that executive. The fact is:

- They can make money on this.
- It will bring X owners higher quality OEM parts are lower prices.

Last edited:
I also have heard from mechanic friends that M-B takes pride in making parts for older MB cars available thru dealerships.

And about a year ago, another friend ordered an engine gasket & seal set and trans gaskets and seals from the local Nissan dealer to replace all of the gaskets and seals on his 1979 280ZX.

So there are some manufacturers out there that seem to think having these parts available is a good idea.

But I do agree that for FIAT in the USA, it's just asking a bit too much to expect to go to a newly minted FIAT dealership and expect to order parts for an X1/9.

Look, I read everyone's comments here. There are still assumptions being made. Again, let's go to Chrysler Fiat, Head of Parts and politely ask if they would do this. It is their analysis, decision and assumptions that matters. Not ours.

We need to:

1. Contact Chrysler Fiat Head of Parts.
2. Start an online petition.

Let FC come back and say "yes" or "no."

Is anyone with me?

I don't see that we need a group of people

Look, I read everyone's comments here. There are still assumptions being made. Again, let's go to Chrysler Fiat, Head of Parts and politely ask if they would do this. It is their analysis, decision and assumptions that matters. Not ours.

We need to:

Is anyone with me?

to contact them. You go for it.

Pete

Again, the X1/9 is NOT really a Fiat product, The X1/9 is a Bertone low volume production coach builder Italian Exotic.

Some years ago, one of the parts supplies here went over to Bertone in Itay to see if they could have the plastic grill in from of the radiator reproduced using the original Bertone tooling. What the discovered was the tooling was sitting outside the Bertone building completely rusting away rendering this tooling a rusted scrap pile. This is just one example of what has happened to the tooling once used to make parts for the X1/9.

There is no need or will it make any difference if you asked the head of parts at FCA about OEM parts for the X1/9 or if all the X1/9 owners in the world asked FCA about OEM parts for the X1/9, Not gonna happen IMO.

If you're motivated enough, you can contact the head of FCA parts to inquire or organize all the X1/9 owners world wide (maybe one or two thousands owners world wide and it would be a surprise if there are that many x1/9 owners world wide) to get an answer direct from the head of parts at FCA. I suspect more than a few of us world wide would absolutely support you on this, as for results..

If for some reasons on a purple moon FCA did decade to offer OEM parts for the X1/9, the cost of parts are going to be astronomical. Are you willing and ready to pay say $10,000 USD for a bonnet-hood or $5,000USD for a a rear tail light or $20,000USD for a door?

Head of parts at FCA or any current car company is not likely the one who decides which parts are offered or not offered for sale. This is a company executive board decision more often than not never made by an individual alone. As previously mentioned, Fiat had no direct involvement with Bertone's work in the X1/9 body/chassis making access to the original engineering documentation far more than simple. And since the X1/9 was produced for decades with slight variations there are parts very specific to a given year and market variant.

Ask and ponder why FCA would even be interested in providing OEM parts for a car that does them zero good for public relations and a car they never wanted to produce and a car they have always wanted to completely forget they ever had any involvement with. Do a search on the web to get some idea of how more than a few Auto Journalist have written absolutely derogatory and totally misinformed articles about the X1/9. This and it's market perception is why the X1/9 remains undesirable and under recognized as a great design... which fixes it's market value to where it is today.

Read what I wrote in at short for Hemmings.

I'm writing and replying to this from the being associated with the X1/9 for nearly four decades and corresponded with the folks directly associated with the X1/9. On subjects like this real world experience does matter.

Bernice

We need to:

Is anyone with me?

RJH... we value you as an enthusiast here...

and also every other member that responded to you. I would HATE to see you leave this site when you get a whole bunch of NO's or worse yet, no response at all.

When you started writing about parts availability and the like I thought of all the similar situations we've had here in the past. If you want to MAKE A PROFIT on designing and manufacturing parts... build them for a Chevrolet. If you want to contribute to this rather small HOBBY, you can do that too. FCA is not in the HOBBY business because they are in the PROFIT business. Supplying parts for our cars, showing them off at dealerships... for the public to see what they can't have... would NOT be profitable.

Robert Brooks, former CEO of Hooters... which I don't necessarily subscribe to... fought a federal sexual discrimination case SUCCESSFULLY a few years back.

Here is a partial article:

Mr. Brooks and the original owners had cooperated to successfully fight federal charges that they practiced sex discrimination by hiring only women as servers. As part of their joint campaign, they dressed up a restaurant manager named Vince in a waitress uniform and put him on billboards.

saga-the-mid-90s-vince.jpg

The full article is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/18/business/18brooks.html

Now that is what I would call FUNNY... much like so many of the responses that were given to your original post. Apparently you did not find the humor in it as so many of your fellow enthusiasts did.

Here is some more of what Mr. Brooks tongue-in-cheek humor is all about:

Although he was apt to volunteer to interviewers that he liked to invite the ministers of his church to stop by Hooters to appreciate what he considered its intrinsic wholesomeness, Mr. Brooks made it clear what he was promoting...

“Good food, cold beer and pretty girls never go out of style,” he said in an interview with Fortune magazine in 2003.

He also said that if someone wanted to start a business with only "intrinsically wholesome" male servers... he would have no problem with that. Neither did the Federal Courts.

To summarize a bit... there are several restaurants that have tried to be successful with just male servers, but none have reached the overwhelming success as Hooters did worldwide.

Hope this helps... we here had a good laugh at YOUR expense, hopefully you can find some humor in it as well... I know I have 'been there' where you are many times... and I embrace it!

In short, I am with ya about Pete Whitstone... and against the petition to FCA.

(HA... watch out for sparks!)

RJ, you will NOT find a better group of people ANYWHERE on the internet or in REAL LIFE than this crazy bunch here! Hopefully your response says something like, 'Sorry I guys... I missed the point... didn't realize I had stumbled over this...' something short and sweet like that.

I struggled through this thread twice and do not see anything to get upset about. This is a conversation about Fiat parts and availability. I think Bernice has set us straight on that.

Yep Pete... can I count on your vote too?

HA!

I'm doing OK... lots going on but OK. Regards to you and yours as well.

To believe the X1/9 is a "Fiat" is shallow understanding of the history of this most significant and under appreciated design.

An interesting point of view.

I see where you are coming from but can't agree with the conclusion. If we follow your statement and apply the same to say, just cars out of Modena then the following is not Ferrari but Pininfarina’s if we follow just the 250 and who made the bodies I just get confused. There were many models and whilst Farina made most of the 250 bodies some were built by Bertone, Scaglietti and when the GT all became too much for Pinin he asked Mario Boano who then passed this to his so in law, hence the 250 GT Ellena. So are they not Ferrari 250's but something else?

To expand,

I doubt that many Americans would accept the Cadillac Allanté was a Pininfarina, where completed bodies — designed and made in Italy by Pininfarina were shipped 4,600 miles from Italy in specially equipped Boeing 747s about 50 odd at a time, to Cadillac's Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly plant where they were mated with domestically manufactured chassis and engines (a modified variant of the Caddy 4.1 liter V8). Going off your methodology they are Pininfarinas but I would call it a GM Caddy sold and marketed under the Cadillac banner, a good attempt by GM at having a go at the Merc' SL, despite the justified criticism inherent as a result of the dopey front wheel drive layout in such a large heavy car.

So I take your train of though and apply it to two more 'modern' cars with the entire production cycle for both cars at the Grugliasco factory, the Opel Astra Cabrio and the Fiat Punto Cabrio of the early-mid 1990's. Bertone or Opel / Fiat ? Taking that even further is the G'Wagen a Mercedes or a Styer. The G-Class is still in production after 35 years and is one of the longest produced Mercedes-Benz in Daimler's history. Only the Unimog surpasses it. It is made by Magna Steyr in Austria, the 'contract' was marked to expire this year.

Whilst the X 1/9 body was produced in Turin at the Bertone factory the shells were then transported to the Fiat's then massive 5 story Lingotto factory for final assembly (unless I got that all wrong). Just like the 850 spider before it the design was not without access to Fiats parts bin and engineers. Giuseppe Puleo did not work in isolation and had access from previous projects to Fiat engineers and the Primula/128 parts bin, it was never designed from scratch by him as the existing geometries and powertrain constraints of the existing 128 drawings had to be accommodated. He had room to tweak but no wholesale changes or the business case for using 128 parts to make the project viable would have been scuttled. I got the impression that you were saying that Gruppo Bertone created project X1/9 in isolation, not the case Fiat was actively envolved. Only after 1982, shortly after the introduction of the 1500 model when production tapered did complete production go to Bertone with models subsequently badged as the Bertone X 1/9.

You are onto something with the thought about the relationship Nuccio and Umberto had. Project X 1/9 was at the end of an era where coach builders took a 'ladder' chassis from say Alfa Romeo, Ferrari etc styled and 'clothed' it in metal and fitted an interior. Nuccio had done the 850 spyder and Fiat was looking for its replacement. What makes the X interesting in this sense is that it was a well developed and rigid unitary construction, designed from the beginning to meet the late 60s U.S. safety regulations, as this was where the industry was heading. Volvo was the only other to meet that target and it was rescinded. The Autobianchi geared concept by Fiat was shown on the Autobianchi stand in 68' but Bertones stunning futuristic design concept rekindled the idea but with 128 parts in mind when it was revealed at the motor show the year later 1969, this was the same year that the 128 was reaching realization and production the following year at the factory Fiat built especially for it North of Turin in Rivalta. I would offer Fiats arm, Autobianchi, made the original 'connection' that the components would make a mid engined sports car. It was probably Giacosa's idea but nothing came of it. Concepts from both OSI and from Fiats own design house were toyed with but came to nothing. That Nuccio offered mid engine when they asked for either front or rear engined design makes a connection that Fiat probably already knew of it but didn't have the skills. Fiat had 'field' tested this running gear on a previous production model, the Primula (hiding) under the Autobianchi badge so the running gear was proven and already known to work, not Bertone's design. The rear wishbones and stiffer front track rod are almost definitely Giuseppe as the 128 parts were not stiff enough and insufficient to control the steering angles/wheels.

A milestone in itself for Fiat as this laid the foundation for FWD layouts as we know them today. That Bertone pulled it off where OSI and Fiat didn't bringing so many design elements into a mass production car is testament to the Bertone Carrozzeria and the creative genius of Marcel Gandini (Giorgetto Giugiaro had gone to Ghia in 65'). Remember that this was before the Countach and Gandini was then a young, inexperienced designer. Totally inexperienced in the practical, ergonomic aspects of automobile design, but at the same time unhindered by them. The coach builder of old is all but a distant memory now and the artistic free spirit is now constrained, where once we had young fresh talented people like Gandini nurtured by the talent of maestros like Nuccio we have a designed by committee process. Perhaps that is why Serio had sent the new Alfa back for countless revision in a skunkworks to get the Icon car that is the new Guila.

https://web.archive.org/web/20091027072658/http://geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/8835/

Sadly the concept cars seen today rarely have the same content in a final assembly line product. There are a huge amount of talented and creative folks out there but they are straight jacketed by the accountants at the car makers where they work. The costs of developing a vehicle and delivering it to market are so high that just a few duds can unwind the financial position of most car makers. This link gives a good idea to who is who and what is what in the modern world of car design. If you have a spare dollar it is worth at least the one year of subscription, I'd rather read CDN than Reuters or the Huffington post when I have time to read. Makes me think that there is hope of a creative future in a market where cars are becoming homogeneous mass of poop that looks unimaginative and far to darn conservative. Perhaps it is a reflection that the masses who buy them are boring conservatives.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/

As far as the old drawings from Gruppo Bertone I understand Lilli kept as much as she could, but the point is moot they are of historical value only. Your assertion is correct FCA would have to have rocks in its head to try and make pattern parts, the body was never theirs but as a completed vehicle it was. There is more to the collapse of Bertone than is seen at first glance, but in the end styling houses like Nuccio Bertones and Pinin Farina etc are relics of a system of car making that has long since transitioned to 'in house' design where the stylists move from one manufacturer to another. Not where manufacturers farm out projects to stylists. Their movements are often as interesting as the politics of Formula One but few know their names outside of the industry. Sad really as the vox popoli laud people who are famous for being famous, not what they are capable of creating due to their talents in science engineering or the arts. The things that really matter.

So without meaning to be disrespectful I put forward that to believe the Fiat X1/9 is a "Bertone" is shallow understanding of the history of Carrozzerias. In the North Americas the tradition of independent coachbuilders (styling houses) was not strong like it was in Europe. Ford and his model T brought about a different culture and fewer examples of collaboration with houses like Bertone, Ghia or Pininfarina were engaged, they exist but are few.

Without being a pesky contrarian I would like to think we can agree to disagree.

The X 1/9 was the replacement to the 850 spider that Fiat was looking for, Nuccio was asked to present a replacement to his 850 Spider design and offered a mid engined layout, perhaps the board were fixated on a front wheel drive to keep it simple in line with their as yet unreleased 128 so it could be built at Rivalta along the other 128's and disappointed they had a mid engined proposal before them but the business case for utilizing the 128 parts made sense. Perhaps that is why the production of the 124 spider continued on side by side as it would be odd to have two open top 4 cylinder two door cars from the same car maker, it sounds to me you are implying as if they were forced to build it at all. I doubt the management would have got in the old mans way unless there was a case as to why it would be a disaster. I am happy to change my opinion but I need to see where all the management protestations were, I remember none but happy if you point me at where I can find evidence of it. They did have other options before them with design drawings done in 1969 of Pininfarinas v6 Fiat X1/8 Project proposal. But we know that was suspended and transferred to Lancia where it surfaced as the 4 cylinder twin cam X1/20 some year or so later, probably due to cost and that the 124 spider was still selling, the 'Montecarlo' would have killed it. The X1/8 cost would have been a problem as it was not based on any existing production car. What I would say is when management eventually got their way decades later with the Fiat Barchetta it was derided as a FWD POS. The MX5/Miata kicked its ass into oblivion where project X1/9 created a format that was thought at the time to be impractical but set the benchmark for later mid engined examples like the MR2 etc. If what you are saying is correct then Umberto got it right, design by committee sucks and thank goodness they were 'forced' to go with project X1/9. That the X1/20 never got it's V6 from the original X1/8 concept is a crime.

The 850 spider body was designed by Giugiaro ( before he left as he wouldn't work with Gandini) and built by Bertone in its Grugliasco plant in Turin, I don't see anyone thinking that it is a Bertone and not a Fiat.

But lets leave it at this, Enzo liked the 128 platform so much he had one as a personal 'town car' to run around in. The oversquare engine and the driveline/suspension layout we love so much where you can wring the neck off the little engine to +7k RPM married to a masterpiece of coachwork by Gruppe Bertone created a masterpiece appreciated by a few who know the secret of that successful union.

Yesterdays squirt up the mountain was a hoot, I certainly appreciated that successful union. Cheshire cat grin was installed and it made me 'feel' good as it was a pleasure to drive through the twisties and squirt past the econoboxes chugging up the mountain.

Pity its raining today.

Last edited:
Back