And the adventure begins...

Gas smell...

A '76 Fiat should have a sealed system. The gas cap should not be vented by design or by previous owner modification. Check that the cap seals, look over entire fuel system, especially at the carb. Plug any uncapped nipples on the carb and car for now in case they are venting. Check the charcoal canister and tank vent lines.

If it was overfilled, you could have leakage at the tank fill neck etc., but it should dissipate. Also check the tank sender area. Any original hose should be replaced anyway, but look around all the hoses especially braided cloth covered ones for wetness.

A '76 Fiat should have a sealed system. .....
Thanks Gregory, I'll check through that stuff tomorrow. I got up this morning and there was a bit of fuel on the garage floor. So it looks like it is leaking from somewhere. Today was the first real day with the car so I spent more than a few hours going over it. In all the excitement I didn't really spend much time on the fuel system sadly. I was pleasantly surprised to see so much steel and so little rust it kind of got the better of me and my daughter and I started cleaning, removing bumpers etc. :) Perhaps I will start a new thread with all the issues I see before us and where we need to go with it. I took a ton of pics so that should help.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement getting started - now to get us out of the starting gate.

If it comes to it, I got a new switch here:

http://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30

I have been happy with it.

By the way Clark, I am in Kitchener, not far away.

Paul Davock

Thanks for the link Paul. I just got back form G&A Lock and they cut a few keys for me. Apparently the codes are written on the inside of the ignition switches themselves so a locksmith can open them up, read them, and cut you a new key. Good to know. Great to hear that you are so close. When I get mine running maybe I should come over and compare :). I am still new enough to this that I have yet to see another one alive - so that might be a treat.

When running

Yes, lets set up something when both of our cars are running.

I just got my new engine and transmission back into the car today, and will be up and and running when the wiring, rear suspension, axles, brakes, bumpers, exhaust, intake, etc, etc is in. It may be a while here.

Paul

Back