And the adventure begins...

Those wheels and that SS Reservoir Tank are NO GOOD for that car.

I'll be happy to send you some "proper" Steel Wheels and a Plastic Tank just for the price of shipping and be happy to "dispose" of your old junk so their is no negative impact on the environment...
The SS tank is now a NECESSARY item because even if one were to find a NOS Plastic Tank, it would still be 40 years old and probably crispy. Aluminum & re-pops are available these days but you shouldn't need one......

I see you also have the sought-after RED turn signals in the rear too... needs some new weatherstripping around the perimeter of the Targa and door openings (DO NOT TOSS the two corner pieces if OK, new re-pops can be had from Ricardo id necessary.) We can discuss several trim options later.

Thanks for the appraisal Tony.
Proper steel wheels huh? One of the reasons I liked this car was the wheels - so I guess I fit in the KILL category.
I didn't even notice that the reservoir was SS. Good catch, and thanks for the info.
Had no idea the RED turn signals were sought after - cool. (Exposing my need to learn more)
I do plan to go over it, a bit at a time I think, so I can enjoy the experience of driving one - which I have yet to do by the way. My knowledge of the state of this car is mostly based on a conversation that I had with an older gentleman who lives near by and went to see the car to purchase it last week. He decided not to buy it because his wife has a bad back now and he forgot how uncomfortable the seats can be. Anyway he had mostly good things to say about it and commented more than once about how little rust was on it. The only issue that I will have to address that is not visible in the photos is that kids got into the shed where it was parked and broke the passenger window. Car was unlocked but I guess they wanted to break something. So I will need to replace that as soon as I get it.

clark

Door window replacement is a bit...

cumbersome the FIRST time but a relatively easy fix.

Post in the FS&W forum the need for a "new" one and even our vendors will respond. I betcha Mikemo will have one for ya rather cheap.

My MAIN concern about RUST is the floors (which is not structural) and all the inner fenders, especially near the rockers and the rear end of the car.

Metal replacement and body work is a real pain just to bring back to normal... Hope its really as good as it looks!

She is beautiful. My first X was yellow and black.
Plus, I am one of the ones that loves those wheels. If you ever want to part with them, don't look for me. I can't afford them. I can only enjoy afar...lol
Someday, I will have me a set.
And for the coolant reservoir, I have one of the rare OEM plastic ones still in great shape. I think I need a new cap but that is it. Now that I said that it will fail on me also.
Restoring my X and trying to bring her back within specs.
V/r, Mike

Car is on its way...

They picked up the car and put it on a trailer today in Alberta. It is scheduled to arrive at my door in Ontario before the end of the month. Is it ok to get excited now? :dance: They will trailer the car to Calgary where it will travel a few thousand kilometres by covered rail to Toronto where it will jump back on a truck to get to my door. I hesitated to drive it back personally from Alberta when I found out that the timing belt's last change was questionable. I will need to get a passenger side window before I safety it here in Ontario but I am now the proud owner of an "X". I ended up paying $3000 CND (about $2250 US) for it so overall I think I did ok. It costs a few dollars to get it here but I would rather pay that than be hundreds of miles from anything and have a timing belt that snapped and be stranded.

SmallTrailer_zpsql52vquu.jpg

I went to go look at this car in Alberta when it was listed. I suggest you take a close look at the front right underbody frame section. It has been repaired and not very well. The seller didn't want to acknowledge that it had frame damage at one time and it wasn't fixed properly. With that being said, it can certainly be fixed. It's a beautiful car nonetheless. Congrats!

new x!!!

that is sweet!!!!!!
I have a door glass here if you need one and can't locate one locally. post your needs on the fs&w site and I am sure a ton of people will rise to help you.
mikemo

Thanks guys,

I expect that the car will need some TLC for sure. It has been mostly sitting for the past 10 years or so. They had it plated in 2014 and drove it around a bit. I could see from some of the pictures that there was repair work done on the passenger side so I was expecting something. Thanks for the heads up. The car is in Toronto now and should be dropped off to me in the next few days. I should know more then.

So the shipping company broke the (only) key off in the ignition when they moved it on the train. So the car sits 1.5 hours from my house in their lot. They like to drive the cars onto a car carrier but they can't drive it now. They told me they couldn't start it over a week ago and I was thinking that it was a cold starting issue. They didn't tell me about the key. Now they want to know what I want. What should I say?

Hmm they could have a local tow truck deliver it and either buy a new tumbler system or have a lock smith see if He can fix it...

it would be good if you could gain control of the car. (already broke one thing so their people are not very happy already)

Tell them to repair it and deliver it to you

Hi Clark,

Well that sucks. Did they offer you any reasonable options? Since they are asking, they are probably hoping you will bail them out somehow.

Seems to me, they broke, they should fix it. I am pretty sure all they need to do is remove the steering wheel trim, drill out the bolts on the existing switch, then install the new switch.

I doubt they will mess with fixing it...

Hi Clark,

Well that sucks. Did they offer you any reasonable options? Since they are asking, they are probably hoping you will bail them out somehow.

Seems to me, they broke, they should fix it. I am pretty sure all they need to do is remove the steering wheel trim, drill out the bolts on the existing switch, then install the new switch.

More than likely they will offer you a cash amount as compensation. When my X was damaged in shipping, the driver made a cash offer and paid me in cash on the spot to cover the damage. I suspect the amount was under some insurance deductible.

I suspect my driver was mostly an independent agent. If you contracted a company with a more corporate structure, then the driver may not have the ability to negotiate independently.

Either way, they need to make it right.

Since the key is broken off in the ignition, does any of it stick out and can be grasped with pliers to start the car? If not, can a screwdriver be jammed in there to turn the ignition?

Pete

Thanks for the help guys. I have sent an email to the car carrier and asked them to put the car on a flat bed and deliver it to me tomorrow morning. I told them I expected them to cover the cost of the ignition and key and any other costs incurred for transport by flat bed. Now I wait......

Car is in the garage. Now to figure out if I can get the rest of the key out of the ignition. How do I know I just bought a 76 fiat? The smell of gas is now in my garage too :) OK. Now the adventure really begins.....

You might also check to see what a new ignition switch would cost.

Also if you have AAA plus that does $100 of lock smith service. Might call a lock smith and see what they think (or take them a pic) and get a thought before they come out.

So first things first: How do I get rid of the smell of gas?

The car will be living in my garage and I don't want the house or my 08 CRV to start stinking too. Nothing seems to be leaking on the garage floor after 10 hours or so - so that's good. A quick visual inspection under the vehicle at the gas tank shows that it appears a tad "moist" perhaps just from leakage during filling?

I'll put together a list of questions I have in a day or two after I get a chance to better inspect what I have purchased but right now I just want to be able to breathe if I close the garage door :fart:

Back