'74 X1/9 being scrapped in Toronto

Update

Yes Jeff, your hunch - and mine - were correct. We took off the end plate and yup - it clearly said "FAZA DAYTONA 40/80" on the back end of the cam. And it was the type with the slot in it for a cam drive. We did not remove the valve cover for a look inside, but I popped the cap and everything seemed pretty oily with clean oil, so I reckon the cam will be okay. Joe is unsure now if he will be selling the cam seperately, or offering it only with the complete engine and tranny.

Tdskip: we managed - with great difficulty - to remove the lower chrome trim under the rear lights. They took great care but it was quite difficult. They got that piece out finally and it is in great shape. All tabs intact and no dents. Even the rubber looked okay. They were having difficulty getting to the tabs that held in the little pieces that wrapped around the tail lamps. When I left they were going to sawsall holes in the rear fenders to gain access ! I will let you know when all pieces are removed and get you pics and a shipping quote and you can decide from there.

I will be posting pics of the car and bits shortly.

Pics

Although I know how much you guys like pics - be warned most are not pretty. This X is pretty sad to see, but hopefully some of it's bits will live on....

Note the unusual '74 only divider behind the rad. Note the front sway bar (looks like an Addco). Sway bar $60

Left front turn signal. Pretty decent but flaw in lens. Has since been removed. One broken stud. Boots are good. Complete with wiring and plugs Bjwhite has first dibs.$100 for the pair.

Right front turn signal in foreground. Decent too but both studs missing and some cracks in lens.

Intake with twin SK Racing carbs. Joe has decided to keep the carbs for his Alfa, but manifold is available $125. Mike mo has first dibs.

Note the fancy engine mount addition LOL

Pic of engine block.

Strange looking coil:

Appears to be an adjustable rev limiter:

No idea what this is:

Strange looking distributor. No vacuum advance. Note straight up leads on cap:

End of camshaft. Says "FAZA DAYTONA 40/80". Note slot for cam drive: $250. I guess Jeff Stitch has first dibs.

Engine bay:

No problem getting air to carbs - whole trunk floor has been removed

Dash. Will be a pain to remove, but probably too good not to....Quite filthy, but only one small crack that I could see. From left upper side of central vent towards widshield. Hole cut for radio sadly. $250

Centre console. '74 only type with silver trim. Decent shape but 2 small screw holes in upper left side: $60 complete with switches etc.

'74 only type grill. Filthy but pretty decent. Only one broken rear standoff in upper left centre. Tiny crack in same spot. All looks good from front. A member here who PM'd me has first dibs. $125

To be continued....

More pics....

ATS wheels. 13 x 5.5". Set of 4. No curb rash. Very minimal corrosion. Could use paint but might ? clean up okay. $600

Some other cool wheels he has in his shop. 13 x 6.5". I think they are Stilauto or something like that. Ive never seen another set like them and think they are uber cool. So thought I would post a pic for your enjoyment. They are tentatively sold.

Some pics of the rear chrome trim. Joe says the 3 lower pieces are now removed. Despite their best efforts, one of the tabs on one of the turn signal pieces broke off. Otherwise in really good shape. Trunk piece still not removed from trunk. All 4 pieces $110. Tdskip has first dibs.

Engine firewall insulation

If in good condition, I'll take the engine firewall insulation and the piece that cover the gas tank opening.
Also does he have the bracket extension from the lower engine mount that secure the exhaust for a 74? I don't need the lower engine mount, I just need the bracket. Thanks

Tdskip: will do, but winter has returned here to Toronto. Several inches of snow and very cold temps. Joe is quite a ways from me and it may be a week or two till I get there next and collect your bits and prepare them for shipping and figure out the shipping cost. Kindly be patient.

78pasaeno: I doubt the firewall insulation and rubber tank cover are worth saving, but I will check next time I am there. As for the lower engine mount extension - not sure what you mean there? On the '74, yes there is an extension from the lower engine mount that bolts up to the muffler, BUT - that extension is a welded part of the '74 lower engine mount. Obert I think sells this type of engine mount. Another option - pardon the shameless plug - is that I made up some extension arms only in this post that are for use with the more common mount without arm:
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/28369/
Perhaps that is what you are looking for ? Just PM me if you need one - I still have lots of them.
But...if you are referring to the arm that comes from the muffler and bolts to the extension part of the engine mount - then that arm was always part of the muffler and was never a seperate piece.....

Last edited by a moderator:
As sad for this car the pictures are.. It is great that you are saving what is their for others!!

Great organ donor program!!!

Tdskip: will do, but winter has returned here to Toronto. Several inches of snow and very cold temps. Joe is quite a ways from me and it may be a week or two till I get there next and collect your bits and prepare them for shipping and figure out the shipping cost. Kindly be patient.

78pasaeno: I doubt the firewall insulation and rubber tank cover are worth saving, but I will check next time I am there. As for the lower engine mount extension - not sure what you mean there? On the '74, yes there is an extension from the lower engine mount that bolts up to the muffler, BUT - that extension is a welded part of the '74 lower engine mount. Obert I think sells this type of engine mount. Another option - pardon the shameless plug - is that I made up some extension arms only in this post that are for use with the more common mount without arm:
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/28369/
Perhaps that is what you are looking for ? Just PM me if you need one - I still have lots of them.
But...if you are referring to the arm that comes from the muffler and bolts to the extension part of the engine mount - then that arm was always part of the muffler and was never a seperate piece.....
Yes I'm looking for the extension bar from the lower engine mount that bolt to the left exit exhaust, I didn't know that it's a welded part, I'll pm you later for one. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What version is the cylinder head? With that cam it should be a good one. Is it available? Is it in good shape?

Also, the RHS speaker cover on the dash is it in good shape and not claimed?

PM me if either are available.
Lastly, can you send me details on those rims. Even if they are sold those things are sweet! I'm weird I like those and would love to find a way or the right car to properly use some Inca wheels.

Thanks,
Andrew

If that sale on the Stilautos falls through, let me know because I'm seriously interested in those. Those are great.

And yes, I'll take the turn signals. I assume that with care the broken studs can be repaired. (anyone done that?)

PM me if you don't mind.

Yeah, those Stilauto (or is it Silauto) wheels are very cool. I really like them too. They actually look way cooler in person than they do in the one pic I posted. And they look way better in a standing up position than from the angle I used in the pic. For some reason (and I think I'm not alone here) I tend to like unusual wheels. And i've never seen another set of these.

I dont know much about them, but I think they are Italian. And are an odd size - 13 x 6.5" - you rarely see Fiat wheels in that size. I never measured the offset, but appears to be maybe 10-15mm or so. Much better than most wheels. Should give a good stance without using spacers. And be perfect for a 185/60 front 205/60 rear combo.

But alas I think they are sold. I had my chance to buy them but managed to resist. I think I now have 7 sets of wheels for an X that still doesn't run. I will let you folks know if his sale falls through.

Bjwhite: I will try to tell Joe to put the turn signals aside for you. And dont worry, replacing the studs is super easy. Although they become a stud when installed, the stud actually just bolts in to the light housing. Tough to describe but when you see the turn signals you will figure it out easily. Almost all used turn signals you will find will have one or both studs broken. The stud itself is the same as that found in the '76-'89 X1/9s, so you can dismantle your existing turn signals and swipe them from those. But be careful - they break off easily too LOL. If you need new studs, they are available. Just PM me and I will tell you where to get them. I will PM you about details on shipping the turn signals to you.

Andrew: At this time we have no idea what cylinder head is on the car. I will see if we can find some casting #s on it. At this point we still have no idea even what engine is in it LOL. And also no idea what - if anything - has been done to the engine internally. Big valves/pistons/shaved head ? We have no idea. My best guess is that it is a 1500. But...I repeat...the car is not mine. I am only helping Joe find new homes for some of it's bits. I dont think Joe really wants to dismantle the engine to see what is inside. I reckon he would like to sell the entire engine/trans as a unit fairly cheaply. Anyone want a big surprize package ??

As for the speaker grill - well I think that will go with the dash. But there is one on Ebay right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-X19-X1...ash=item41a78e0e07:g:mWcAAOSwxN5WT-i8&vxp=mtr
Failing that, I think I have one in my stash here. I will look.

Thanks, Doug

Re: Stilauto

Yeah, those Stilauto (or is it Silauto) wheels are very cool...And i've never seen another set of these...I dont know much about them, but I think they are Italian. And are an odd size - 13 x 6.5" - you rarely see Fiat wheels in that size.

It is indeed Stilauto & they were made in Milano, Italy:

I came very close to buying some of these same Stilauto wheels back in January, as there were a few very nice sets available in Italy at the time (I opted for a different wheel instead). 6.5"x13" seemed to be the more common size found for this particular model. In fact, there are still 2 sets listed on Subito.it right now, though both ads are about a month old...

Ok...

Yes Jeff, your hunch - and mine - were correct. We took off the end plate and yup - it clearly said "FAZA DAYTONA 40/80" on the back end of the cam. Joe is unsure now if he will be selling the cam seperately, or offering it only with the complete engine and tranny.

That's fine, I can fully understand the cam being sold with the engine if it's a component of a "built" engine. I have no problem with it if that's what he choses to do. :)

Parts ID

Pic of engine block.
That is indeed a 1500 block & not a 1300. The "138" engine code casting visible here confirms it. :nod:

The cast iron 4-2 exhaust manifold is not likely a '74 X1/9 manifold; the shape/offset of the flange & the shape/position of the stud mounts are different. This might be a Euro 1300/1500 manifold, or possibly from a Strada (which makes sense if the engine was from a Strada as well). If you remove the rusty heat shield covering the manifold, you should find a casting number on the top surface of the runner for cylinder #1 or perhaps on the underside of runner #4 (depending on which other Fiat the manifold was from). The '74 X1/9 4-2 manifold has casting #4310369 on top of the #1 runner.

Strange looking coil:

Strange looking distributor. No vacuum advance. Note straight up leads on cap:
This looks like one of the old aftermarket "Marelli Plex 201" electronic ignition kits available for the Fiat 128 (& X1/9), before the 1500 X1/9 Bosch EI stuff was around. Look in an old Bayless catalog & you'll see it was the sh!t back then! :headbang: (I used to have this exact same kit on my 128 before I got a Yugo Bosch EI setup to replace it).

The cap with the leads out the top is typical 128. The entire coil pack (black/gold Marelli EI coil, finned alloy coil housing, HEI conversion chip {mounted on the alloy housing under the coil} & the white-wired pickup unit) was also an OEM assembly on 1979-on Fiat 124 Spider 2000's (so spares are available, including a side-exit type distributor cap).

No idea what this is:
Well, what does the label say on it? :brow:

End of camshaft. Says "FAZA DAYTONA 40/80". Note slot for cam drive: $250. I guess Jeff Stich has first dibs.
Nice. Love it when a hunch plays out. :D

Thank you Jeff Stich for your informed and helpful comments. You are most kind sir. :)

Yes, If I zoom in on the block pic, I can now I guess see the "138". So it is a 1500, which we had suspected.

And yes, Joe thought that was a Marelli Plex distributor and coil/module too. Says he has seen them on Alfas. Guess this means there were no points ? But some type of pick-up in the distributor ?

But your comment on the exhaust manifold was odd. Being as this was for sure a '74 X1/9, I just assumed he had put his old original 1300 exhaust manifold back onto his new 1500 engine. Along with that cool Ansa '74 only 4 outlet muffler assembly, which would have been available here in Canada back in the day. Yes, I suppose that manifold could have been from a Strada (yeah we got them up here), But as the tranny appears to be from a 1500 X1/9, I just assumed the engine was from the same donor X1/9, and not a Strada....

And....if you have seen another set of these Stilauto wheels...then I no longer want them LOL. Have you ever seen another set stateside ??

Thanks again Jeff.

PS: front grill, rear chrome trim, and front turn signals are all now spoken for. Now will somebody please make Joe "an offer he cant refuse" on the entire complete engine/trans assembly......And if nobody steps up soon on the dash, I will remove it myself and clean it up and get the small crack repaired. I know an older guy up here that repairs vinyl cracks for a living. I reckon he could repair that small crack so it is almost undetectable...

Strange box ID

Okay Jeff. Joe says this box says:

Jacob Electronics. Energy Pack Mileage Master.

A quick google search indicated that this is some sort of Australian type of MSD ignition. So in addition to the rev limiter box and the Marelli Plex coil/module and distributor, the PO sure liked the aftermarket ignition stuff LOL.....

Turn signals

The turn signals have now been removed and I cleaned them up a little.

For sale as shown. Wiring harnesses (in good condition) also included but not shown in pics.

Rubber boots in decent condition. These are the '74 only boots that are needed when converting a later car.

Chrome in decent but certainly not concours condition. Only a tiny bit of pitting on the top edge of one. But will not be seen if installing with euro bumpers. Chrome looks good from 2 feet away. Any closer and you can see some slight hazing in chrome.

Reflectors have some surface rust. Should be sanded and painted silver.

All bulb sockets okay.

2 studs are missing. One more is there but broken. One is still intact. This is typical for used lights of this vintage. The studs are easily replaceable - they actually just bolt in to the housings. Replacement studs are available from our vendors. Or are actually the same studs used on the '76-'88 front turn signals. So just swipe them off your existing turn signals if you can.

Three out of 4 lens screws are missing.

One of the lenses has some small cracks on the inside but none on outside. The other lens is in poor condition and is included but really not usable. Replacement lenses are available in all amber, all clear, and half and half from our usual vendors and Ebay. I really like the clear (white) ones.

$100 Canadian for the pair (about $77 US).

Shipping will depend on location. But for example to Seattle via UPS will be $20 Canadian (about $15 US) to a commercial or business address. Add $3 for residential address.

Bjwhite has first dibs if he still wants after seeing these pics and shipping costs.

The front grill has now been sold. I will be contacting Tdskid in the next day or so about the rear chrome trim.

All other parts of the car are still up for grabs. If you would like something not listed, just let me know and I will ask Joe.

Thanks, Doug

Back