Ducktail spoiler needed, ‘74-78 X1/9

Back in the day FAZA made them. As @KBabcock said, more recently MWB did a run of them in two styles; as a complete deck lid with integrated spoiler, or just the separate spoiler. But they have not produced any in quite some time and my understanding is they found it cost prohibitive to do another run. Not sure if anyone else is still offering new ones.
They did get a fiberglass guy a year or two ago and made a run of all the fiberglass parts (Spoilers, fender flares. snorkels, ect...) Call them to see if they still have some. I see fender flares and the like still in stock on their website but not seeing the spoilers. If there is demand I would imagine they would run another batch.

eBay has a plethora of cheap trunk lid spoilers for other cars. If I can find a car with similar trunk dimensions it would probably be worth the $50 punt to see how it fits on the X. That’s what I’m planning on doing and if I find something I’ll report back.

For example I know a 2010 WRX front lip fits a 2013 Cadillac CTS almost perfectly.

There's been a couple members that made their own rear spoiler in the same style as the one you pictured. Or how about making something more like this:
a457ab73dec9092affdd16fd9134e386.jpg

eBay has a plethora of cheap trunk lid spoilers for other cars. If I can find a car with similar trunk dimensions it would probably be worth the $50 punt to see how it fits on the X. That’s what I’m planning on doing and if I find something I’ll report back.

For example I know a 2010 WRX front lip fits a 2013 Cadillac CTS almost perfectly.

I have a duck tail spoiler which I haven't mounted yet, if you want any dimensions let me know. It may help.

IMG_9313.jpegIMG_9314.jpeg

Challenger spoiler is a bit too long and a bit too curved. I will probably chop out a couple inches from the middle and see if I can make it work as an experiment.

Ad said it was 46” (perfect for the trunk lid) but it’s really more like 51”.

View attachment 84620View attachment 84621

Challenger spoiler is a bit too long and a bit too curved. I will probably chop out a couple inches from the middle and see if I can make it work as an experiment.

Ad said it was 46” (perfect for the trunk lid) but it’s really more like 51”.
Make sure you modify it to your aesthetic liking. Remember, it’s a “spoiler”. Spoilers spoil the airflow to reduce lift. There is no “lifting” airflow on an X. Hence, the spoiler will not spoil.

Don't worry, I was never under the impression that a $50 ebay spoiler made of plastic and designed for a totally different car (and then chopped up by me, a moron) would provide any aero benefit. ;)

My car won't ever see serious track use or competition.

See if it might be any different to cut off each end rather than section it in the middle. Either at the red arrow to fit the trunk lid, or the blue arrow at the raised portion molded in the underside of it. Then use fiberglass to build new ends shaped more like the other Fiat/FAZA spoilers (sort of like the yellow line).
IMG_9314.jpg

I would think the spoiler would make it harder to work on the engine now that there is something sticking up a few inches on the rear tool bench😜
I have an OEM spoiler on my 87 and yes, having a spoiler definitely impacts your access to the motor. Fortunately, just two nuts secure it from inside the trunk, so I remove it for working/storage. Also, I would avoid cutting it at the wings, as any owner of OEM wings know. They are always getting in the way.

Back