LH2.4 Conversion

Torque mount in place, showing CSV fuel delivery hose

353685CE-99E6-49EE-9252-CCC1D9CCE341_zps74ee95ua.jpg

395FEA36-4240-454F-8064-BC356D215FFF_zps03ihsyrl.jpg

About as tidy as it's gonna get....

75355070-33B8-41AC-BCC5-AA650C77DB98_zpsxoal0erz.jpg

Cold start with the 012 MAF was a little rough - definitely rich.

Couldn't get rid of knock with the added advance caused by the load resolution change with the 012 MAF.

I reinstalled the 016 (stock) MAF, and dropped the fuel pressure to 40psi base. Feels good overall, no audible knock under load - AFR's are good at idle & part load, a little too rich at mid throttle & too rich going into heavy accel (11's!). I could definitely drive it as is, as it feels good, but it's gonna suck down the gas with these settings.

I'm confident that installing the 24lb injectors with the stock MAF will bring the AFR's up in the part to heavy throttle range. I should have them in a few days to try. I'll keep driving it around locally to see if the adaptive function is able to compensate in the under load areas.

Took a look at the tuning bins, not sure how much I can do with what's available there. I will have to try & extract the tune from the ECU chip I have in the car to work with, all the ones I have found are turbo, or older ECU versions.

Got the speed healer set to Yves' values (280) - seems to be close - I'll have to run a GPS & see what it says for comparison. The speed signal is obviously good enough for LH2.4 in terms of idle control & fuel cut on decel.

WOW Nice Job!

Genious!

Rechecked the base timing, and with the slight CCW rotation of the trigger wheel (on the 15th tooth flat instead of just past it) it looks like 12º base near as dammit. :)

Tried the 3" MAF & larger injectors. Actually runs quite well.

I tried jacking the fuel pressure to 70psi with the 18.25Lb'ers and stock MAF, and it wasn't happy at all.

With the 012 MAF, and 30Lb ...759 Red injectors (V70 LPT '98) and fuel pressure dropped back to 45psi base it seems quite happy, feels much better & fuel AFR's are more reasonable under load. Idle O2 sweep is pretty decent.

Slight funkiness with off throttle & decel feel with the 012 MAF, think that was also discussed on TB as a by-product.

Does have some knock under load - I expect due to the load resolution shift that has been discussed with the 012 MAF.

video

I tried grounding EZK pin 18 for 3º retard over the curve (excludes idle timing), and that wasn't enough. I'll try pin 19 for 6º & see how that goes tomorrow.

Well, thank you :)

It's running quite well, albeit too rich with these injectors - before the O2 kicks in, the AFR's are in the low 11's when stone cold, and slowly creep up until lambda kicks in & forces it back to 14.7 range.

24lb injectors should be here tomorrow, so I should be able to confirm that those resolve the extra rich running, and still take advantage of the increased timing advance with this system.

The idle & running coolant temp has dropped nicely, runs much cooler on the highway even under load. The ambient temps are only in the 50's at best, so not expecting to see the higher coolant temps anyway. Does seem that have 12º of advance at idle makes all the difference to keeping coolant temps where they belong :)

Installed the 24lb injectors ( 0280 155 832) today, then started the engine. Cold AFR's are still a tad on the rich side, but it is in the 30-40's, so not gonna worry about that too much. Warm AFR's are nicely in the 14-5-15.2 range, and under load the AFR's fatten up, but not crazy.

No evidence of knock when I romped on it hard. Fuel cut seems to be under 6K, but my tach has never been so reliable. Volvo setting is around 6K, so I will raise it in software to 7K.

So, I think I have a decent base to start fine tuning from. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like the adjustments are working. Good sleuthing through possible work arounds to get the best result.

About that genius thing, don't let it go to your head, I mean look at all the folks changing their ignition, injection and other base systems around here...

Great work as always and thank you for sharing so much of it with us. It is always educational (even if you are secretly a plumber) and seeing the end result is gratifying knowing what really went into it.

Thanks and keep us in the loop.

Karl

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words :)

I just want to get all the driving issues resolved before I rip into the Dallara body work!!! :hammer:

B62D46E0-98F0-4E55-B458-92D095639EA9_zpsdox8m434.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words :)

I just want to get all the driving issues resolved before I rip into the Dallara body work!!! :hammer:

Awesome Hussein! The trigger wheel setup alone makes a huge difference. I ran the electromotive unit on the X before the engine swap. Best thing I ever did.

Been driving the car to get the adaptive under way. Runs pretty good, besides the awkward clutch issue, which has finally been isolated.

I've been smelling cooked coolant - & couldn't find a source. While I was under pulling the trans, I found signs of coolant running down the block - and found that I never fully tightened the drain petcock.

2B39114A-025F-4C4A-9AD5-226014EA67C8_zpswq5agi3x.jpg

Between this and the clutch lever/fork bolt, I think I need to give my mechanic a serious talking to ;)

Been driving the car to get the adaptive under way. Runs pretty good, besides the awkward clutch issue, which has finally been isolated.

I've been smelling cooked coolant - & couldn't find a source. While I was under pulling the trans, I found signs of coolant running down the block - and found that I never fully tightened the drain petcock.

2B39114A-025F-4C4A-9AD5-226014EA67C8_zpswq5agi3x.jpg

Between this and the clutch lever/fork bolt, I think I need to give my mechanic a serious talking to ;)

Go easy on him... ;)

Go easy on him... ;)

Yeah, I guess.

Now that the clutch is out of the way, I was planning on moving forward with tuning.

However, when I got home after driving around 10miles over hill & dale to see how the clutch felt - it became very 'lopey' at idle. Pulled the injector plugs one at a time, and #2 made almost no difference. Pulled #1 & 2 plugs, did quick compression test:

#1- 160psi
#2 55psi

No blowby or oil smoke, so I have to presume valve train issue. Leakdown test Monday. I'm done for the weekend.

9/23 EDIT: required purhcase of new Wiseco pistons - ring lands broke on #1 Mahle. Replacement HG lasted 282 miles (see below).

Last edited:
After yet another HG, I need to seriously look at the timing mapping before I run the car again.

Took this post from my melted piston thread:

NA timing map - what I have in place

X19-LH24-00095a.jpg

Turbo timing map

X19-LH24-00095c.jpg

EDIT: Fiat FI timing spec

X19-LH24-00120.png

Since I don't know where the load range actually ends up in my installation, I may be running way to much timing up top, not maybe definitely.

This is from the MS thread (thanks, Karl for the link)

X19-LH24-00098b.png

So, I can use this table as a basis, and work from there. The EZK mapping is not well documented, so this maybe a little tricky to figure out.

Depending on which xdf is used to view the bin, the data is some screwy - X&Y axes are not paticularly clear. Also EZK uses 4 duplicate tables that must match. No checksum tool either, not sure if that's a problem. I've posted in the Volvo forum to see if I can get help in that regard.

X19-LH24-00098.png

X19-LH24-00098a.png

Last edited:
Been working on the timing mapping. I modded an Ignition box so I can use the OBDII port needed for logging in RealTerm.

X19-LH24-00080b.jpg

X19LH24_00080.jpg

Timing map so far

Screenshot%202016-10-17%2009.43.09_zpsnejauuho.png

Last edited:
Been working with my guy on the logging/tuning

X19-LH24-00118.png

Unfortunately no success yet. data only transmits when cranking, not when running. Will get there.

Timing map is revised with values closer to the Fiat stock advance. Need to find how to alter the rev limit.

52BDC49E-4F6C-4FA2-9711-162FB096FC8A_zpsv2wwc0vf.png

Last edited:
Been driving the X on short test runs to check the revised timing mapping. So far so good. Ran into issues with the rev limit - some EZK modules cut out around 5K rpm. Finally got a working mod to elimate the igntion cut, to find the fuel cut comes in at 6K...

Got a modified LH2.4 bin (tune file) that has the rev limit raised to 7,500. Loaded that yesterday, so now I can run over 6K if need be. Not really any power up there I have now found - it drops off between 5,500-6k. However, running first gear to 6k before shifting works pretty well.

At least now I can tweak the fueling/ignition up top to see if it helps. Can also advance the cam timing a tad to see if that changes anything.

Not going to go crazy with any of that until the data logging is working - so I can be certain the timing is now resolved.

It would seem like you should be seeing significant power in the upper reaches, once things are sorted for ensuring you can log and know you aren't hitting detonation zones, sounds like time for a trip to a rolling road dyno.

Nice that you can tune these factory systems, they are likely to be more reliable over time than a completely aftermarket solution.

It would seem like you should be seeing significant power in the upper reaches, once things are sorted for ensuring you can log and know you aren't hitting detonation zones, sounds like time for a trip to a rolling road dyno.

Nice that you can tune these factory systems, they are likely to be more reliable over time than a completely aftermarket solution.

I definitely don't have more power over 5,5k, there is a drop off. I honestly don't know exactly where my cam timing is exactly - I think I put it back to the base setting when I installed the new head, since it is not shaved like the old US head setup. I do still have the shaved cambox/cam on there, so it is possible I'm actually running slightly retarded cam timing.

I also removed much timing from the upper rpm areas until I know the detonation issue is gone - although in reality I would expect the detonation to appear in mid/lower range where the torque is greater, so maybe I'll just add some back over 5K & see if it makes a difference there.

Last edited:
Now that I have the timing values at reasonable levels, I am finding the fueling is now excessive. I had put 0 280 155 832 (listed as 24lb, but I think actually 22.51b/236.25cc based on Bosch tables) - instead of the substitute for stock composite (for LH 2.2/2.4 NA) 0 280 155 746 with flow of 19lb/199cc, so I now need to try adjusting the fueling constants in the LH2.4 tables to bring the metering in line with actual flow.

Found this page which provides helpful math calc for revising the constants. Stock LH2.4 pintle injector was 0280150762 : 20.35lb/213.9cc

I came up with:

x=(213.9/236.25)x131
x=.904 x131
x=119

I'll have to plug the revised number in this afternoon & give it a whirl.

May have to focus on the warm up tables / idle control if it's still so rich in that phase after this.

EDIT: not sure if I noted this elsewhere, I also found in going through all the LH2.4 diagnostic checks that my throttle was opening too wide - which meant the contacts in the TPS went BEYOND (WTF??) the full load signal & reverted to a low load signal. Not good.

EDIT: revised the constant. Car starts & runs a little leaner than previously during warmup, which is a good sign. Didn't have time to drive it around.

X19-LH24-00131a.png

Last edited:
Turns out that is not the correct constant to adjust. #4 is the one to tweak. Documentation on making changes to the tune file parameters is spotty at best. Took 10% off the value - that gave me 12.5 AFR's under WOT. Revised the value to 80% of original (3306, original value was 3889).

Now I have 13.5-13.2 under WOT. That seems more than rich enough for NA setup. Target AFR's on my old turbo setup was 12, but that was large frame turbo running 26psi boost.

Need to figure out the shift indicator values to get the upshift light in correct time for the Fiat gearing.

X19-LH24-00131.png

EDIT: The car is making power over 5K, I think it was running way to rich under load before I tweaked the settings. Feels strong now up to 6K. Haven't gone much over that, as I'm still tweaking the fuelling values.

Also have a permanent CEL code 1-1-2 which is for ECU error. Car still runs fine, though. Each bin has a checksum that needs updating after any changes are made. It is unclear whether I have the checksum plugin correctly configured, or whether it is activated in the xdf I am using to access the bin contents.

Last edited:
Resolved the ECU error code. The checksum updater in TunerPro has to be activated from within the XDF being used to edit any given file (bin).

X19-LH24-00131d.png

Once I took care of that, I was able to update the file & upload it to the Ostrich 2.0. After that, the error code went away. Engine seems to be running very nicely now. Feels great. Still smelling some coolant in the exhaust, leftover from the blown HG, but still twists my guts when I get a whiff...

Got the car aligned today, F & R toe were out of spec - not really surprising with the change in ride height with the coilovers.

front was L -1.07º R -0.41º Now .10º & .16º
rears were L - .18º R -0.75º Now .22º & .29º

Last edited:
I always like to think I have an open mind...

with all the new and crazy stuff out there... but you now have me convinced!

I'm gonna stick with CARBS and altering timing mechanically. I'm too old to learn all this new stuff like Ostrich 2.0...

Geez-Loueez!

Back