Wiper Relay Mod **Revised Plan D**

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
The Leiszig windshield wiper mod was the first mod I saw after joining XWeb about four years ago, and I immediately saved it as a Favorite.
IMG_7834.JPG

So now it comes time to implement it. I think this drawing is the final, I need to check and verify that:
IMG_7835.JPG

Taking a page from Bob Brown's book, I set a ground rule that I did not want to harm any existing wiring in the making of this mod.

So I pick up a couple of relays and harnesses from the local truck customization store, get a project box from Radio Shack, and start to put it together.
IMG_1738.JPG

But I hated it. The relays and sockets themselves are cheap, the wiring is chintzy, I have unsightly wires and inline fuses ham-and-egged thru the frunk to the battery, and I can't get the project box to fit the way I want it to.

So I scrap Plan A and go to Plan B.

Different box ordered from the internet, better quality #10 wire, scrap the relay sockets to save space, and after I decide to re-engineer the power distribution system, I can run the power feed up behind the instrument cluster and out the speedo cable grommet, thru the scuttle, and into the frunk right near the original wiper moter harness plug.

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1784-1.JPG

But I still don't like Plan B. The small size of the box forces me to put the fuse holders up under the dash. Now that's OK when the interior is gutted, but once the car is put back together, how the heck would I change a fuse? Plus there's still too much wiring outside the box with too many connections.

Come to Plan C. As the saying goes, third time's the charm!

I scour the internet for the project box that's the perfect size, which was a major chore in itself. There are very specific, tight restrictions in that area of the frunk that have to be taken into account---the box can't interfere with the storage of the targa top, and can't interfere with the frunklid crumple post and socket.

And I want maximum length so that I can put the inline fuses inside the box. Even so, there's no room to splice the feed wires to the leads on the fuse holder, which means that the power lead to fuse holder splice has to be outside the project box, something that I did not want but couldn't come up with a workaround.
IMG_1887-1.JPG

I was going to velcro the box in place but decided instead to mount three nylon cap screws thru the box's floor to act as "legs." The pic below shows one of the legs, plus the ground for the relay triggering circuit.
IMG_1891-1.JPG

I did not want to butcher the original harness so I figured out how to wire the relays while keeping the original terminals. Inevitably, it was necessary to slice the original wiring harness sheath open to free up enough original wire to provide the slack I needed to put the connectors inside the project box. If necessary, I could remove the heat shrink insulation and slip the terminals back into the original wire loom receptacle cavities.
IMG_1890-1.JPG

I couldn't find any light blue or light gray primary wire locally, so I had to order it. Turns out I bought 5' of each just to get the inch of each that I ended up using for the final version. Plans A & B used #10 feed wires, but Plan C put the mini-fuse holders in the project box, and locally these were available only with #12 leads, so I went with #12 feed wires from the power source.
IMG_1890-2.JPG

PLAN D Revision
See this post for Plan D revision:
https://www.xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiper-relay-mod-revised-plan-d.14218/#post-290721

Last edited:
Nice work! Love all the detailed pics!.

Why not solder instead of crimp, though? You are introducing many new points for increased resistance if connections deteriorate.

My X has the blue/white wire removed from the connector - didn't make any difference to function when I re-inserted it, so I left it out

X19WsWmod0001.jpg

X19-1099.jpg

I have to say I noted NO difference modifying the circuit, so maybe late X's don't have the problem of earlier cars?

Last edited:
Nice work!

I would want the fuse holders more accessible, but that's me. Of course I have fuse holders tucked under my battery cover and A/C drier cover, so I can hardly criticize.

I think you could have located the red wires' splices in the box if you had made a loop for the fuse holders inside the box. I'm not saying you need to have done that, only offering it as possible solution to your problem. I think you did a great job, and by posting your version many of us have yet another example to follow when we do this. Thanks!

This all gets be wondering... could we get similar results by doing other things like soldering all the factory crimp connections instead? Has anyone done this?

This all gets be wondering... could we get similar results by doing other things like soldering all the factory crimp connections instead? Has anyone done this?

I think the larger issue is the gauge of the feed wire. Adding the relays allows you to bring a heavier gauge wire direct (fused) from the battery, eliminating voltage drop across the stock setup.

Nice work Dan! ...and a good solution IMO. Looks VERY professional!

I approached things a little differently. I used an "exposed" pluggable relay harness which is visible in the same area as your box.
Your box looks cleaner and all the wiring etc is less exposed for potential problems. My approach was easier to fabricate and potentially service.

For 12v supply fusing, after my brown-wire mod to the OEM fuse panel, I ran another 10GA wire from the battery + terminal to an auxiliary spade fuse panel mounted to the firewall just out of sight in the passenger footwell.
I power all my aux relays (for wiper, headlamps, and subwoofer) from there and can service the fuses as well.

PLAN D Revision

Thanks to Greg Smith (aka budgetzagato), I am pleased to announce the "Plan D" version of this project!!!:thumbsup:

Greg suggested that I try to loop the fuse holder leads, which might afford enough room to move the unsighly closed end feed wire splices into the project box.

So I picked up two new fuse holders today and gave it a try. Just so happens these are packaged with the wiring already in a loop, so it was just a matter of snipping a little bit of excess wire and making the connections.
IMG_1947-1.JPG

IMG_1948-1.JPG

IMG_1948-1.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1947-1.JPG
    IMG_1947-1.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
If I read it right, and did the math correctly, this has now been 11 years in the making? ;)
Looks great, so worth the wait.

In one of your older photos (copied below), is this the stock grommet for the speedo cable (circled in red)? I don't think my '79 has one like this, what year X is this one on?
IMG_1780.JPG

Hi Jeff,

Yes that is the stock grommet.

Ralph (forum handle=lanciahf) pinged me earlier about windshield wiper mods/relays so I sent him a link to this post. While doing so, I realized that this thread was suffering from the dreaded Photobucket picture link rot, so I patched it up by uploading the pix to the new forum and splitting the original into two to accommodate the new forum software limitation of 10 pix per post. This mod has been done since 2011.

Great work Dan,
I like pictures detail, and all the work done like from manufacturer
Bravo!

Thanks Dan, appreciate re-posting the pics. Just having fun with you about the time frame, I'm certainly not in any position to judge...I've still got projects on-going from 20 years ago.

I'll have to look again at mine for that grommet. If I find an extra one, it looks like it could work well on the firewall for passing cables/wire harnesses through. Much more robust than the typical rubber ring hole grommet.

Neat idea to keep all the gubbins tucked safely away in a box!

One little subtlety with the relay mod is that like the headlight motors, the original circuitry shorts the wiper motor terminals to ground to make the motor stop quickly when switched off. This is done via the light blue/white wire and the wiper switch. When you insert relays this feature is lost unless you use a changeover relay for the slow speed and connect it correctly. This can easily be retrofitted to the "traditional" relay mod.

PLAN D Revision

Thanks to Greg Smith (aka budgetzagato), I am pleased to announce the "Plan D" version of this project!!!:thumbsup:

Greg suggested that I try to loop the fuse holder leads, which might afford enough room to move the unsighly closed end feed wire splices into the project box.

So I picked up two new fuse holders today and gave it a try. Just so happens these are packaged with the wiring already in a loop, so it was just a matter of snipping a little bit of excess wire and making the connections.
View attachment 9633

View attachment 9635

View attachment 9635
Dan, well done. It all looks great. I wish that I had the intestinal fortitude to tackle these much needed jobs on my X. Thank you for sharing and in such detail too.

Rachael, two questions:
1) What is a "gubbin"? [Must be a UK thing, but I'm curious]
2) Do you happen to have a diagram of the "traditional" relay mod including the change-over relay you describe?
Thanks.

Haha! Gubbins means bits and pieces, parts, paraphernalia. I only have a diagram using micro relays, but you should be able to work out how to wire 1" cube relays from this. I also made up a little set of instructions in my bookface group.

Attachments

• Wipers with 2 micro relays basic.pdf
    208.9 KB · Views: 329
Back