The Saga of an Ebay X...

Every Time there was a Ferrari local for sale here in Socal Folks used to contact me and actually pay me money to go and look them over and drive them before they negotiated or payed for one. Just a thought....:p

I could have gone to look at this car it was only 9 miles from my place..:pc:

Had Jon known that he likely would have appreciated it. As Jon is new here (but not to Fiats) he likely isn't aware of your expertise in very nice refurbs in SoCal.

Ya I dont mind. I will bring my camera and drive the cars for folks.. I dont always require payment. Sometimes people just mail me something cool. I once inspected a Ferrari for a guy that sold Playstation 3 wireless controllers and I went to go look at a car for him. I spent 2 hours looking over the car and photographing it. I saved him 15,000 dollars because it had too many issues and he sent me a bunch of controllers.

The usual fee is only a C note for the Ferraris( only inspect 1975to 1995 308,328,Mondial, Testarossa,348. The 355s and above require much more money and time with an expert with 20,000 dollars in computers to evaluate............... but I dont need that much with the Fiats as they are much easier to evaluate.........:)

I can even do a compression test for folks. :)

:)
Funny how you've progressed, you seemed a man with ten left thumbs when first you came here.

I think we all should think about being willing to do this for each other, we all possess some decent level of expertise and we are all strung across the map enough that we likely could look at any X for sale across the US and give a pretty decent assay of its general condition.

Do we have a map presence for X owners? I know there is one for 124 Spider owners.

I agree with Karl. we should all be out there helping folks here that are looking for cars.. Got your email Karl.. No offense taken. Something that most here dont know about me, maybe some. Even though I lacked a certain amount of wrenching/mechanical knowledge 7 years ago, I actually have owned hundreds of cars and am very diverse in my automotive knowledge. Im pretty much an X expert now. :pc:

Jon, if the wife is happy...

then EVERYONE is happy...

HA!

Sorry you are somewhat disappointed... but most of these things are quite fixable...

Congrats and welcome!

Installment III

So I pulled the wiper mechanism to clean some over spray from the pieces. It turned into a complete dis assembly.

You can see the new Yugo parts from my vast collection. :) They are soooo similar but just a little different.

Glass bead, degrease & Paint.

I used Eastwood 3 part cadmium paint.

We will see how it looks in the morning.

That's a GREAT looking job

I think I need to bring my parts to you to re-finish!! :thumbsup: :)

We could arrange something.....

Looks like you may be a charter member in the anal retentive restorers guild as well. :laugh:

That looks fabulous! But, as I was reminded this morning as I drove my X to work and was surprised by a vigorous rain squall, the damn things still don't move fast enough to do much good! And don't forget to keep the drain hole cleared of debris or you'll end up with wet ankles every time you go around a corner!:wall:

That looks fabulous! But, as I was reminded this morning as I drove my X to work and was surprised by a vigorous rain squall, the damn things still don't move fast enough to do much good! And don't forget to keep the drain hole cleared of debris or you'll end up with wet ankles every time you go around a corner!:wall:

you need wiper relay mod!

Nice X!

I think you got a good car and over time you'll like it even more.

I was up near Royalton just last Saturday, I bought a Rough Collie puppy up there. Just amazingly beautiful countryside...that's where I want to retire. Living on Cape Cod right now ain't so bad either, just vastly different.

My yellow X is being serviced now, brake caliper, rear license plate lights, new alt belt, and balancing of the carbs. I'll have her back next week in time for some saummer Cape action.

Enjoy the car! Ity seems like you bought a good one.

You sure do make those parts

look great! :thumbsup:
Thinking about doing the same. :nod:

Oh-Ohhhhh... Looks like we have "another one"...

HA!

Great work though... I guess this issue was PARAMOUNT in your mind and hadta be addressed FIRST over any and all other issues.

Glass beaded! Geez!

BTW... I see this is the 3-tone cad coating from Eastwood, but it's still paint though, right... not the factory process. Hopefully the JUDGES won't do a chemical analysis and ding ya....

HA!

I'm sure we are gonna see much more of this from you especially when fall approaches and you go into hibernation for 6 months like Mr. Brown. With all my "zinging" though... you do indeed have my admiration as well! Keep up the good work!

Now you need to bead blast that gas cap

But a coat of wrinkle finish on it, and then drop it in the mail to me.

More progress

Today I :
Swapped out the brake reservoir (scored a nice used one)
Finished the speedo cable replacement
Swapped the steering wheel with a correct original
Repaired the back-up light
Replaced the tail light gaskets
Replaced broken Bertone targa badge
Swapped out bad engine lid prop
:headbang:
Time for early bed......

Back