Targa Top Flew Off

artz1731,
Can you give until Monday to make a decision? Estimate shipping to Bellevue, NE 68147, please.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Happened once due to the front latch not properly set many decades ago. The top flew off on the freeway, ended up on the left lane shoulder area. Got off the next exit, went over to where the top rested, put it back on properly latched. The corner got dinged, otherwise that top was OK.

Never a problem if the top is latched properly.

Check all screw related to the top latch and their matching parts on the body is tight. They had decades to work loose. If any questionable hardware-screw are found, replace them and use Loctite 242 or low strength 222MS liberally where needed.

The top does not come un-done even at triple digit speeds unless the two front latches are NOT properly seated. If the latches are not properly seated, top lift off speed appears to be in the 50 to 70 Mph range.

Bernice

Bernice,
Thanks for the info but I can swear that I checked the latches before I started to drive.
Could have worked loose? The driver's side always lifted up when I closed the door and was never really tight.
I don't know. Learning something new with my X every day.
Going to try Loctite 242 on the bolts that aren't stripped and will use a gasket sealer on the ones that are broken and/or stripped. I will order some repair parts from MWB as I go.
Something was not right and I am going to make it right or purchase a replacement.
V/r, Mike

Why do you say your top is more like a 73-75?

JimD,
The top had some different chrome pieces and the liner looks stock (black with holes). I will take photos tomorrow.
The rubber weather stripping is different from what is offer for sale on MWB and the rear seal is just thin plastic piece not a rubber seal.
It just really looks different and does not fit very well.
Maybe I will just start using a bungee cord to prevent this from happening again...:)

Anyway, I am going to try this weekend to correct the issue with the top if not purchase the one that was offered and get her ready for the car show.
Thanks, Mike

ALCON,
Going to take extensive picks tomorrow so you can tell me what is different and needs to be replaced in order to fit and seal properly.

I might have to move this to discussion to the Workshop section.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

The driver's side always lifted up when I closed the door and was never really tight.

That will do it. If it lifts up even a bit, air will come in underneath at speed and it will lift off as if it were the wing of an airplane.

These cars came with tops?

What for?

BTW, unless yours is a rally racer, its best to show your car with every panel, door, hatch, boot, bonnet, deck lid, engine cover, trunk, frunk, ash tray, console and glovebox OPEN. (Make sure all angles match!)

Arrive early and park diagonally taking up two spaces and stand back when awaiting the comments, pointing, oooohs, aaaahs, cheers and jeers.

Okay guys, tell me what is missing from the top. I did notice that there is no weather stripping front or rear.
I started to repair the driver's side (on the passenger side right now) with gasket sealer and Loctite.
V/r, Mike
89f88d31a6e11bcddaeefb1d1299c21b.jpg

5eb478fc8815b888a5fc7d93742e800a.jpg

0f0bb2328e51cace3fb08e2e88b3f6cc.jpg

d8289e0bd9a88182c54191ab849682a5.jpg

386934127271ea4ff564df65ac3abafd.jpg

96d850ae75d607521959213268db1a2d.jpg

b022ba3ebd284fc43a2207c8a0fb18e4.jpg

595e2efbe48ccfdb60271e45013dddc8.jpg

031ef6a188c9d75524b64afd98934619.jpg

Nebraska Mike

Any pics of the mod? interested in seeing how it looked....

When I first built my car it was quite heavy so I was doing everything I could think of to get the weight down. I think it was a good 10 pounds shaved with the vinyl top. I drove it many years with no problems but always wanted another solid top and finally got one and painted it to match the car. Excuse the cobwebs as the top has been hanging on the garage wall and didn't notice them till after I took the pics. Tavalin, the latches and hooks on your top look good from what I can see. I have no idea of how it could have got away if it was attached right. I don't have any stock rubber but I have some extra hangers and metal parts.

When I first built my car it was quite heavy so I was doing everything I could think of to get the weight down. I think it was a good 10 pounds shaved with the vinyl top. I drove it many years with no problems but always wanted another solid top and finally got one and painted it to match the car. Excuse the cobwebs as the top has been hanging on the garage wall and didn't notice them till after I took the pics. Tavalin, the latches and hooks on your top look good from what I can see. I have no idea of how it could have got away if it was attached right. I don't have any stock rubber but I have some extra hangers and metal parts.

Thanks for the advice and offer of parts. I am thinking that I need the weatherstrips for the top.
I will let you know what I need but all the hardware seems to be fine. I will try and adjust the hooks a bit.
V/r, Mike

Well, I took everything off and used Loctite on the bolts and screws. What was broken and used gasket maker to hold the bolts in place.
A couple of small cracks but she is really tight now. Just ordered the weather stripping for the sides and I am hoping this is a done deal.
ddc493dd5fe62837d78c52932a976dd0.jpg

bd77e1be1e1c3da0937adc335aa5dc05.jpg

9841c3cb1dd2062a851d037d9ca99e16.jpg

d350e6fe087e422a43d548de4d168619.jpg

b9c686c89d0b61421927866aabe5c232.jpg

Thanks everyone for the offers and the advice.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

sorry for the OT...

I think it was a good 10 pounds shaved with the vinyl top. I drove it many years with no problems but always wanted another solid top and finally got one and painted it to match the car.

Did it 'luft' when moving at highway speeds? I think I may do this to mine - unless you want to sell yours?

Received the weather stripping and really not what I expected. Used some weather stripping glue (I do not like that stuff) to glue it in place and clamped it down. Tomorrow I going to take pics and place the top back on. Wish me luck.
V/r, Mike

Nebraska Mike

Back