Sucking air???

L
Definitely not a head gasket leak. But a lot of bubbles in the reservoir. See this
https://goo.gl/photos/C1u56v6tqEVuiU3n8

That's much froth being generated in the return path!! Certainly is possible the turbo is boiling the water content in the coolant as it passes through the cartridge, not that that is a good thing at all. Prolly fine when it's thermo-siphoning on engine shut down, which is the important part as far as the turbo life is concerned. Wonder what the browning evident in the froth is though -corrosion from inside motor/ water pipes?

The foam is only there when ref hard. As soon as letting go of the gas the bubbles disappear. So these are just bubbles caused by boiling or movement of the liquid. I don't thinks it boils. Don't know what the brown froth is. It is not oily.

Mine previously sorta looked like that. Was very bubbly. But yours is more frothy and I see some brown scum-like stuff in there.

Definitely not a head gasket leak. But a lot of bubbles in the reservoir. See this
https://goo.gl/photos/C1u56v6tqEVuiU3n8

I suspect the return water from the turbo to cause this. The returnline is much hotter than the line from the thermostat. And the hotter the more bubbles I suspect. Not difficult to assume the bubbles will be drown into the engine again.

The little bit of brown stuff is not the problem. I think it is some dirt that floats in the tank itself. I managed to filter it out with some tissue. I will first make a second inlet for the turbo hose. And make sure it floats horizontally into the tank. My guess for the excessive bubbling is that it is caused because two inlet hoses are joined into the same diameter as one hose just before the tank inlet and therefor it floats twice as fast as it should. Keep you informored.

You may want to add a secondary pump to the turbo coolant feed with the feed from the radiator directly. You could regulate the pump speed or on off using a temp sensor switch.

Finding out exactly how hot your outfeed from the turbo is would be a good thing to think about.

Back