Soon to be X1/9 owner

Me? Serious? Ha!

But... you never know. Hey, I know that kinda thing never happens to you Tony! :devil: :boxing:

And Jim, (WYOX19) I have to get going on that post regarding the starter.
Found the issue. Got a good photo of it. Another post. (not here)

I'm with Tony on this one...

It's one thing to drive a card hard. Accelerating/braking quickly, taking turns at high speed, etc.

It's another thing to abuse a vehicle: Running into things, grinding the gears, hitting potholes, spitting gravel with the drive-wheels, not paying attention to maintenance issues (and many other things that young/new drivers do). Wow -- I sound like a cranky old guy (and father of six).

Depends on the personality and interests of your daughter. But I wouldn't assign it as a daily driver for her unless she's exceptionally responsible, thoughtful, and interested in the X.

Drive the car hard and it will love you for it. Maintain it and it will love you even more. These engines if well maintianed will run forever. This is my second high milage X. The first one got to 350,000 miles before getting t-boned.

If you happen to be driving through or near Austin, Texas on your trip from Florida to West Texas, we should meet up. Ed (colltech), Rick and myself all live in Austin and all have red 1986 X 1/9s.

Wray,

I'm old and fat too, but you'll be amazed how you can still slide into the driver's seat and everything feels so natural.

Post your driving route ahead of time so folks here can let you know where they live, just in case you need a helping hand. By the sounds of the X, you should be fine to get back home.

I spent a little time in Midland for work several years ago. I had a project at the Federal pen in Big Spring. Can't say much other than we found a good steakhouse that had MacCallan 25 year old single malt scotch. At about $650/bottle or $15/shot, I'm glad that my previous employer was paying the tab.

Nothing wrong with an x1/9 as first car. In many ways, they can be excellent first cars given the proper precautions are taken which is true for most any vintage car.

IMO, a first car with excellent chassis dynamics is far better than a first car with a BIG motor and poor chassis dynamics. This is much about learning car control, car response, being in touch with the car and driving.

In the recent issue of Hemmings Sports & Exotic, Satch Carlson (my fave writer in HS&E) wrote about new drivers and their limited exposure to what cars can be if they grew up in a limited world of Mini-Vans or SUVs. Put them in a sports car with a manual and their perception of what cars can be can and does change.

Learning how to drive in a car with a excellent chassis and limited power is far better and easier as it forces the discipline of being smooth and extracts a penalty for sloppy driving. Limited power also tends to prevent bad stuff from happening too fast. The perception is big power, hard acceleration and straight line speed is what going fast is all about, this is not completely true as the degree of skill, coordination and intellect to put the foot down hard on the accelerator and hang on is not that difficult.

While an exxe is fine as a first car, make it mandatory for your daughter to take a new or teen driver clinic in your area as part of being allowed to drive. These clinics do a lot to educated new drivers to what cars do under real world conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWzmaaz2no

As for driving this exxe to it's new home, why not as long as it is in good overall condition, the trip should be fun and problem free.

Bernice

As I stalked these forums, I have worried some about rejection by the group because I do plan to drive it, and to let my daughter drive it. She is a beautiful, smart almost 16 year old who wants to take it to car shows. Her first choice in cars was my (originally my grandmother's, now with 300,000 miles and largely unmolested) 1967 Camaro, but I said NO (or at least not yet). I don't think she has ever seen an X1/9 in person but she loves the photos.

My concerns about group rejection for driving it have calmed down after reading several posts providing the opposite perspective. I particularly enjoyed the girlfriend analogy I first read in replies to wilson340. I have never considered a tattoo, but if I do some variation of that phrase rates right up there.

I plan to get my daughter into an X for her first car. 2 seaters are safer than sedans for young drivers; less distraction. Also, a good handling underpowered car is better that the opposite in my opinion.

Thank you all for your words of support and caution

I appreciate the consideration and thoughtfulness of all replies to my post. Please know that my X will not be abused by my children, at least not more than once. Both kids understand that any use of my X is just that, them borrowing my car, and they know how picky I am.

My daughter IS an exceptionally responsible child but she is a child and is just now learning to drive. She will progress from driving school cars to the family Prius and Flex. She will receive manual shift training on several other vehicles before being allowed to drive my X. My son won't be old enough for driver training for a couple of years but he will have similar learning experiences.

Some of the "rules" we have set for our kids do get bent like my rule that they obtain two masters degrees before dating. That one hasn't fallen yet but it's pretty shaky. The rules to operate safely, respect machinery, and protect assets are sound.

Maintenance of my X will be a family effort. My daughter and son will wash and wax her regularly. Preventive maintenance will be performed on schedule. Repairs and maintenance will not be deferred. Both kids know that my X will stay with me when they move away and I expect it to stay in great shape.

Tony's point about dousing it with gasoline is well taken. If she fails to respect the X, she will wind up with an old Celica or Civic, or maybe that 1967 Buick Wildcat she wanted...whichever she wants to buy, and is able to pay for.

It is very, very difficult to bust an exxe due to driving abuse. We have proven this over years and years of LeMons racing.. on the same chassis.

In stock form, they can be driven very, very hard and do this day after day, month after month, year after year.

The basic chassis is far more robust and durable than most would ever know or believe.

Know the X1/9 and Volvo 240 were the only chassis from that time to pass the proposed US government 50 Mph barrier test.

The Fiat engine is really, really tough, reliable and durable if properly treated, care for and in good condition.

What these cars cannot deal with is neglect of required maintenance. Differed oil and filter change, coolant change, belts, hoses, timing belts and etc. This is the stuff that will result in serious problems.

Do know we will be here for you. There has been much posted over the years of Xweb on about stuff that happens and how to make it proper.

"Enjoy The Ride"

Bernice

I appreciate the consideration and thoughtfulness of all replies to my post. Please know that my X will not be abused by my children.

Travel route

We don't leave for a few weeks. I am reluctant to post the dates but PM me if you live along the route and might want to meet for coffee. We are looking for fun stuff to do on the way and have a few ideas and a couple of firm plans, almost none of the overnight stops are predetermined:

Thursday fly Midland to Ft Lauderdale via Las Vegas! Thursday evening, purchase car, start toward Orlando.

Friday finish drive to Orlando, spend rest of day playing in Orlando (theme park, movies or ???).

Saturday leave very early, drive to Pennsacola. Spend late afternoon at naval air museum.

Sunday, drive to Lake Charles, LA, look at a Sonerai II homebuilt airplane.

Monday, drive to Dallas or Austin. Goto K1 Speed and drive go karts.

Tuesday, drive to Midland and drink (trappist style beer, dry red wine and/or TX whiskey).

Hot Rod Lincoln

mbusman,

I'm curious about your signature line. Are you also a Lincoln guy?

My last hobby car was a 1998 Lincoln MK VIII LSC. This was the last and best of the two door, rear drive, hot rod Lincoln's. It was the most comfortable recliner on wheels I've ever driven, in many ways it was the complete opposite of an X. I sold it about a year ago, a few months later it was totaled.

Bob

Joe... when your Grandson has finished Medical School...

and has a 6 figure income... we'll talk then. (We already have enough attorneys in this family...)

BTW, I never believed in "arranged marriages" until I experienced the spouses my kids chose... I KNOW I can do a much better job... HA!

HA! I told my son to get his daughter a Buick too...

Specifically, an old Station Wagon and pull three of the plug wires...

I hadn't considered the passenger aspect though... maybe install an acoustic barrier and seal off the rear part of the car. Also line the interior with lead and tin-foil so that cell service can't work and forbid the use of an MP3 player... and just have an AM radio permanently assigned to a talk radio station that has 24 hour excerpts of Rush Limbaugh's broadcasts... She gets enough liberal stuff already.

I could go on and on... HA!

To Bernice's point... except for the delicate trans, the X is a great car but its not the mechanicals I am worried about... It's mostly the "other guy" and especially with this car of yours being as MINT as it is... it would be a shame (dirty) to haveta do a bunch of body work.

Back