scorpion #1147 resurrection thread

soooooooooooo we have developed an oil leak. it's either coming from the head or the rear main. please pray to the scorpion gods it's not the rear main as Chris says that's essentially an engine out job. :(

You can pull the trans and leave the engine in place buts a pita to reassemble. Just get the car really high

1715385467901.png

1715385500897.png

also, one thing I would do if we go this deep is replace all the motor mounts. mine are sagged enough we needed to lift the engine to put the water pump pulley on - and there's a lot of engine vibration in the cabin. damn things are expensive!

you can totally hear the front suspension rattling, but we put 25 miles on the car today!
for those who care, this is coming down highway 9 from Felton to Santa Cruz. Great road!

Do you know what is rattling in the front suspension?

Regarding the engine mounts. All the new ones are hard and create harness in the cabin. Sorry, I hope you have better luck than I did

Well at least you will get all the big problems delt with up front, so you can work on the more cosmetic items. Once your car comes home.

Umpteen years ago The Monte Hospital had two “flavors” of motor mounts.
Hard rubber for competition & a softer rubber compound for “street use”.
Couple months ago Rod & Linda (T.M.H.) began to offer what they believe
to be “the real ones”. I can’t link the description on their new offering.
Just a photo. Go to their website to read the new mounts description.
I’ve ordered three of them. I hope my post helps some of you re: mounts.

Attachments

• 5C06A128-DBA3-4E9E-B320-D410B1206ACC.png
    5C06A128-DBA3-4E9E-B320-D410B1206ACC.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Car came with the 034 motor sports mounts that TMH used to sell and it vibrated like a tea cup. I installed an extra sets of mounts but they were tired but the car was great to drive but the motor moved around and I had to space the front mount so it would not hit the fan belt. Then I got a set from Bilsteins with the slots. Unfortunately they are harder but not as much as the solid ones from 034. But you can tell the difference in harshness between the oem and the slotted ones.

My car was an original AC but the compressor was out. I removed everything including the heater box and imported a non AC heater box and controls from the UK and europe. Much cleaner design but still a huge heater box

Last edited:
Regarding the engine mounts. All the new ones are hard and create harness in the cabin. Sorry, I hope you have better luck than I did
I'm already getting a lot of engine vibration in the cabin... can't be any worse. 50 year old cars... sigh. and Yeah, @Ron Avery I want to deal with all the mundane mechanicals so it's as reasonably reliable as it can get. I drove 124s daily for years, so there's no reason the scorp can't be the same.

so Chris took the car to C&C this weekend. drove it around quite a bit, reports back it's running great. What's interesting is the leak appears to be intermittent, and only shows up after the car has been sitting awhile (dry when parked, even checked later, but then in the morning a day or 2 later it's got a puddle)

his lift is tied up right now, so he'll be getting back to me in a few days with a diagnosis

Back