Road Trip Ready?

jkruse

Jeremy Kruse
My X has been through a lot it got hit two days after I bought it and I had to go on TV to get my money back, but I've stuck by it and in addition to getting the body fixed I have done a good amount of mechanical work along with interior tweaks, fixes, and replacements.
Recently I had a mechanic do a complete engine check and it only had one problem (the auxiliary air valve) which is getting fixed tomorrow. It also scored so low on emissions even the mechanic was shocked.
So now I'm thinking about a road trip. My brother is getting married in May so I have to head back to my hometown of Omaha, Nebraska from Portland, Oregon. About 1,700 miles depending on the route.
I'm sharing this because I want to hear what you guys think: Is this a terrible idea?
If not, what are some things I should do to prepare the car and what are some things I should keep in mind driving it for long periods of time (something I've never really done)?
I appreciate any input you may have on this subject!

First up...

Assemble a list of X-webbers who are along the route, so you are not stuck should something happen.

Then pack a sensible selection of tools and spares.

Then enjoy!

Pete

I must sound lonely...

I say go for it. Cars are meant to be driven. Even if it goes terribly, you'll at least get a story out of it. :p

I've done several trips like this (though not in a Fiat) and I'd say the key is turning your radio off periodically (or permanently) to listen to the car. That can save you lots of grief. Also planning -- you don't have to build in so much schedule that it takes the joy out of it, but having an idea of where you're stopping is helpful. That will also enable you to do it in short sections. I've driven for a 12-hour stretch, but busting it into 2 or 3 hours is the way to handle it, especially with such a small car.

And, hey, if family will let you, I'd love to see your car. I live just outside Omaha in Springfield. Hopefully my new garage will be going up and my X will be free of the tarp by then. Also, I will GIVE you some spare parts if I have some you need. Keep it in mind...

Dave

Two things you always should have on a long trip

airfare and the cars title. ;)

Assemble a list of X-webbers who are along the route, so you are not stuck should something happen.

Then pack a sensible selection of tools and spares.

Then enjoy!

Pete

I am with Pete. The obvious tools, make sure your all topped up, etc. and have fun!!!

I myself carry a spare wrench in the most common sizes and a couple of sockets. Spare allen wrench for the rad bleeder, lug wrench and jack (the stock jack and lug wrench are awesome actually - as depicted here:
photo%25252824%252529.JPG

Long trips I sometimes carry 1/2 gal of coolant/water and maybe a spare quart oil.

Just to be a little helpful

Like Pete suggested, gather a list of Fiat enthusiasts along your route. It can be a real trip saver. There are many examples here on Xweb of someone rescuing one of our travelers.

Spares that you might want to have along:

A timing belt, alt belt, an alternator, any spare FI components you have on hand, oil, coolant, water, duct tape, fuses, some wiring supplies, and the tools to do the basic jobs that might arise.

I know an alternator seems like a major item to have as a spare, but I had make this specific rescue trip years ago.

a AAA card

We aren't being very helpful Thomas. :)
Like Pete suggested, gather a list of Fiat enthusiasts along your route. It can be a real trip saver. There are many examples here on Xweb of someone rescuing one of our travelers.

Spares that you might want to have along:

A timing belt, alt belt, an alternator, any spare FI components you have on hand, oil, coolant, water, duct tape, fuses, some wiring supplies, and the tools to do the basic jobs that might arise.

I know an alternator seems like a major item to have as a spare, but I had make this specific rescue trip years ago.
Now Jim, you didn't say any of this before I flew to St. Louis to get the 86:huh:

I say do it.

I'm the fool that drove to FFO 89 in a new to me 85 x-1/9 with no spare tools, a buddy, and ran the 7 hour trip at 5000 rpm the whole way. (Back then, most consumables could be had at the local parts counter).

Also did FFO 98 (25anniv) in Pocono Mannor (9 hours each way, at the same 5000rpm, with no tools and spares (but was driving right past IAP on that trip).

Drove to FFO11 (this time with tools) 5 hours each way (at, you guessed it, 4500 rpm (Hey, Ima getting old er sunthin)).

x's were meant to be driven. They sing when pushed.
If you'd drive across town 45 min in rush hour (prime commuting time around here), you are set for a road trip.

Me, I wouldn't hesitate to take the x. Any you'll be the only one there in an Italian exotic....

Do as Jim D tells ya... and have a ball.

I keep spares with me at all times in a rather conservative tool box in the rear trunk. I handed it to one of our older X-heads who took it on a flight to WA state... picked up a car and then actually used the cell phone and alternator in it on the way back to L.A. Didn't take up much room and really came in handy.

I can now forfeit the alternator as I now use a GM that is available ANYWHERE but do keep a spare fuel pump, some hose, alternator and timing belt and an ECU. If an FI car, I would also keep a spare dual relay and FI ECU. That is MORE than what anyone else would normally carry but these are things that aren't readily available anywhere else. Any other major issue would be like any other major issue on any other car...

So you've done your homework and are more prepared than you would normally need to be. I say GO FOR IT... and TAKE A FRIEND WITH YA! What a great trip... kinda like a Route 66 thing...

Post your route and times you expect to be there and I'm sure you'll get responses with phone numbers and offers of lunch and coffee. You'll not regret it!

Last edited:
Just do it!

Just do it. X1/9s do have a few bits and pieces that break over time (although not if properly maintained) but typically they don't ever leave you completely stranded (so long as you have a few tools).

Actually, I've probably covered 200,000 KMs in my two X1/9s and I only needed a tow once (that was when the gearbox exploded because of a failed bearing, and even that gave me 1000 KMs warning, that I ignored...).

The basics of the mechanicals are very solid and reliable but some things do break, just not to the point where you get stuck. I once drove from Stuttgart to Nice with only three brakes and a blocked idle jet.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Dom.

Back