My new to me 1988 X1/9

Thats a beautifull car.

A few upgrades like electrical, suspension, tires and wheels can work well. But, I am a firm believer that you need to keep the original equipment just incase you, or the next caretaker, want to bring it back to factory original. Drive it and enjoy. :thumbsup:

I FEEL A LITTLE SAD NOW

I just recently threw away the Pirelli p3's that were mounted on my 74 when purchased...Had no idea someone may have wanted them cause of their age:(

Congratulations !!!

and welcome - I'm a fairly new owner as well , and this is THE place for info and advice , great community of like minded folks

enjoy the car -th:rolleyes2:ey are a blast to drive

A Gem

Most of us can remember driving an X in that good a condition, but we need to refer to our scrapbooks to confirm it :read:.

Most if not all members here will have a strong opinion on what to do to a car that would make a great driver as well as a pristine survivor.

All of us are envious!

Most of all...enjoy the car!!!

Superbe belle voiture

Wilson you found a great X.
People here are so helpful and knowledgeable.
Welcome to the family.

Wondering...

When did they stop including an alloy spare rim? isn't that like a 79'
spyder 2000 steel rim? Did the seller include the original air filter canister? Super looking example...

It's only original once

It seems as if most of the folks who replied think an original car, that's as nice as yours, is very desirable. And rare. I think you would be able to retain/increase the value of your car by bringing it back as close as possible to showroom condition. In 20 years the like showroom condition car is going to be worth a BUNCH more than a modified car.
I also think that most of the folks here would prefer to have a modified car too. Ideally you would have one super nice original car like yours, and one (or more) modified cars to play with. That's the best of both worlds. And, modified cars can be found with little effort, and at reasonable prices. Think of the modified car as a sacrificial anode for the showroom stock car.
If you do decide to mod the car make sure that it can easily be returned to original condition. The air cleaner is a good example - keep the stock one (or get one). Oh one more thing, keep the moisture out of the back end of the car. There is insulation under the trunk floor and in the bottom of the wheelwells that will absorb water - rust will ensue! Better yet keep the car dry, there are lots of places for water to wick into and be held against the steel body until it turns to iron oxide.

Welcome to the community!

Welcome Wilson, nice car :)
I have a <25k mile car, but mine's been modified a pretty fair amount (see sig or profile) :)

I'd not seen this quote either, but I like it and am adopting it! :):):)
"Not putting miles on your classic car is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend."

SteveC

Congrats on a great score! Probably one of just a dwindling handful of examples in beautiful condition :)

Regarding installation of front speakers without cutting the door panels, one option would be to install speakers in pods mounted to the kick panels.

If you hit up eBay and search on "speaker pods" you'll get an idea of what I mean.

I used this exact item found on eBay UK:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160790423762

To use the pods I used, I had to rework the frunk release: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/15154/

IMG_3687_zpsbc138bb3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_3686_zps7b55fab1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not to belabor the hell outta this...

The car I spoke of was a Brown/Gold '84 or '85, according to this color chart:

http://x19gr.50webs.com/colour.htm

... as that two-tone version of "Champagne over Brown" was available for those two years only.
fiat__x_19_bertone_1984_2_lgw.jpg

Like this photo here... all that I have seen apparently have Pirelli P6s from the stock tire thread patterns I could find...

So what Steve said is apparently CORRECT. I may have seen the Pirelli name and ASSUMED they were P3s from the past experiences I had on older models, they could have indeed been P3s ad were just another oddity you will fine on these cars, but MOST LIKELY all of them came with P6s. With 22K on the clock I doubt if they were replaced with P3s.

ANYWAY... the REAL POINT is and was... It was a PURE STOCK, UNMOLESTED X1/9!

I'm always learnin'...

The gold over brown in the brochure is code 798. If you have one of these cars the code numbers on the trunk would be 840 (Gold metallic) over 791 (Dark african sand metallic). In the U.S it was only offered one year, 1985.

The greek link you sent calls the 791 Marrone or brown. The top color according to them is 866 or Champagne. The 840 code is not even listed with a two-tone according to the Greek link. Lot's of confusion.

The picture you linked is not gold over brown but silver over charcoal or black which was done many, many years.

Welcome to the club...

The champagne platinum club!

Damn but she's a beautiful sight. Has her front teeth, a flat bumper spacer, all the black strut caps...

My girl is in getting cleaned up and a face lift and still won't be that pretty.

Congrats!

Wilson,

Welcome. You have an absolutely beautiful "specimen" there.

Regarding the electrical gremlins, don't listen to anything Bob Brown suggests. What you need to do is ship that beauty out here to California for about 2-3 years so Tony, Rudy, and I can get things sorted out. You do know that electrical troubleshooting can take some time to get it right.:hammer: We'll be sure to give it lots of exercise to make sure the master brake and clutch cylinder seals don't dry out and leak. We'll let you know when we're done bringing your X back to 100% perfect condition.

Congratulations on your purchase. You're going to have a great time driving it.

Mike

Thanks for the offer

but I think I will try to sort things out myself, not too old to learn a few new things :read:

Welcome. You have an absolutely beautiful "specimen" there.

Regarding the electrical gremlins, don't listen to anything Bob Brown suggests. What you need to do is ship that beauty out here to California for about 2-3 years so Tony, Rudy, and I can get things sorted out. You do know that electrical troubleshooting can take some time to get it right.:hammer: We'll be sure to give it lots of exercise to make sure the master brake and clutch cylinder seals don't dry out and leak. We'll let you know when we're done bringing your X back to 100% perfect condition.

Congratulations on your purchase. You're going to have a great time driving it.

Mike

Hey Wilson, don't listen to Mike,

He's just sore about the last time I worked on his electrical system... :)

DSC_1660-1.jpg

Back