MSRP of a 2017 Fiat X1/9?

Modern production of an X1/9 will or could NEVER happen due to the sheer number of legal and government requirements the original design could never meet and this has ZERO to do with crash-safety requirements.

Back even a decade ago the diameter of the volume knob on passenger vehicles have been regulated to a maximum diameter, that is just the tip of the iceberg.

As for brittle bolts-screws-hardware on that Honda, that is horse pucky. Items like that can be replaced with much improved. More at issues is the overall condition of the other oily bits. Mileage is an awful metric of a motor vehicle's actual content, reliability, durability, design and engineering. As an example, Toyota & Honda have an excellent and pristine market reputation for durability reliability and all those market expected features, then folks deceived by this myth take their fave Toyota, Honda or similar fave street ride to race at 24 Hours of LeMons to discover how absolutely AWFUL and poorly suited these car are for being driven near or at their design limit. It is always a very RUDE awakening for all involved. And no, seen mostly new production cars raced at LeMons with explosive results in short time.

Consider the sheer amount of electronics and techno widgets in the current new production motor vehicle. Everything from mobile device connectivity, software driven on a data buss for each and every hardware item including door locks to engine management and much more. That is a HUGE amount of stuff to go side-ways. All operated by encrypted brand specific software that is designed to prevent user tampering. This has happened due to legal and many other requirements forced upon the modern motor vehicle today.

As for performance, what does this really mean? Acceleration, cornering grip, chassis dynamics or ? The most common complain or want with exxe owners is more power... I'm not convinced the modern otto cycle engine is more enjoyable when compared to a properly set up Lampredi SOHC used as OE in the exxe. More appreciation of this can be had once an exxe with a properly set up chassis is driven with a properly set up Lampredi SOHC engine driven at no less than 5,000 RPM for a few hours. Now ponder where can the exxe be driven this way and how the vast majority of "high performance" car owners drive their pride and joy?

The modern street or public road driven motor vehicle will remain mostly if not entirely mechanically grip limited for cornering force capability. This puts an absolute limit on the amount of cornering grip possible to just over 1G. To achieve more requires significant to serious aero assist which is NOT going to happen on ANY public road legal driven vehicle. This means tires and suspension-chassis design has matured decades ago. Beyond the paper specification numbers that works great for marketing and arm chair gear heads, that metric tells little to ZERO about the actual driving experience. What is reality, the exxe is NOT for the masses. Few want a light weight, excellent mid engine chassis that is delivered under powered. In many ways what is best about the exxe is the complete opposite of what the majority of the current motor car buyer wants and the car brands know this. It is why there are so few small low cost mid engine cars on the market today.

Replacement parts offered for the exxe is directly related to it's market value and desirability. Given it's history, the chances of the exxe becoming a highly desirable collectable with equally high market value is extremely unlikely to happen for a host of reasons. It is also why few high quality reproduction replacement parts are available for the exxe. It all comes down to, "Why should said exxe owner spend $1000 on a engine when the entire car is only worth $600?" Compare that with any of the desirable collectables where dropping $1000 on a plastic tail light lens is more than reasonable.

As for comparing the exxe to the Alfa Romeo 4C, Lotus Elise and similar. In many ways, the exxe is similar but still different. It really comes down to what is expected or wanted by the drivers-owners from their ride. What is fact, there are few small mid-engine car available that can offer the raw and direct driving experience the exxe can offer. No power steering, no brake assist, excellent chassis-suspension, modest weight, a better power train than most ever realize all set up originally by folks who understood how a proper mid-engine chassis must behave and feel like.

Bernice

Reading everyone’s restoration and maintenance experience here on xweb makes me think of all the money and many many long hours spent on our X1/9s. I think if you add up all the hours in labor (assuming you charge yourself labor) plus add all the cost of tools and parts one might find perhaps it might be best and more economical to simply go out and buy a brand new Alfa Romeo 4c. Dollar for dollar it would probably be identical. The stories also remind me of Cuba and how they make their own parts for their 1950’s cars. Even the X1/9 NOS and reproductions are not up to par because of age issues or non-original poor manufacturing issues. I love the X1/9. But there comes a time….

I was also recently at the MWB open house that Matt graciously hosted. I was expecting to see many beautifully restored X1/9s all in mint showroom condition. What I saw were nice X1/9s and many owners there worked very hard to restore their cars. I left unimpressed. Mostly because all the cars were OLD. While some had beautiful nice new $$$ paint jobs the interiors were all old and well worn. They all looked like tired old cars (except for the MWB track cars). I was more impressed with a brand new Fiat 500 there.

I used to own a 1994 Honda Accord which I bought brand new from the dealer. After 21 years and 300k miles it had a leaking head gasket (my fault as it overheated). I took it to several shops and they all told me they would not touch it because the engine was old and brittle and bolts would become damaged upon removal and insertion. Plus every time I fixed one thing, 2 or 3 other things would instantly spring up and break. I got rid of the car and bought a brand new one for the next 21 years ahead.

I wish someone would manufacture the X1/9 again from scratch and as a brand new car with brand new and improved parts. I know about airbag issues and such and also how the plant and equipment is long gone. It is still a beautiful enduring design and it could fitted with the 100Hp Fiat MultiAir engine and MSRP could be that of a base 2017 Fiat 500 of $16,995.

Just my thoughts from a 30+ year old new (to me) owner of a 1986 Bertone X1/9.

My friends spend close to $500K to restore a 246GT Dino... they "could" have bought a new Ferrari for that coin, but they didn't.

25 years ago, you could have bought a Dino for $30K'ish..

I like my vintage X1/9.. it's perfect as it is (as a vintage car).

Back