I want wiper delay in my older X

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
why didn't I think of this when I had the car apart? I could have taken a late model wiper system and adopted it.... I remember the old JC whitney kit, and was wondering what the electrical gurus here would think is possible....I would like a simple knob on the dash that goes from "no delay" to whatever, say 30 seconds....but maybe run it thru the ground of both speeds. i'm not familiar with the way wiper systems work enough(yet-lol) to figure this out, with the whole "park" issue in the way the system works

Anybody done this, or something like it?

I did a project

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/12969/

I think I only made one working board which was in Il Mela Verde for a while. I ended up giving it to MikeM with the intention of installing another but never did. It was a fun project to design and program.

I wonder if the parts are even still available?

I may have had some trouble with an underrated transistor for the washer relay, I think I blew one but not sure if it died on its own or one of its soldered pins poked through the wrap and contacted metal.

Project files are here for anyone interested:

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/16544/

Last edited by a moderator:
You could adapt the system from a 124 spider which uses a delay switch on the dash to offer variable delay. They had this feature from the late 60s to the 1975 model year for sure. Its only a few added parts easily cadged from a junk yard

all you need to do for the wiper system is trip the arms enough to move out of "park".

The truck I used to drive for work 94 peter built had a single post type switch (turn knob) that did the delay speed,low,medium,high. I would think this same knob could be used.

I've done this using a VW "99" relay. This gives you a programmable delay, by switching on/off/on - the time between the off and on is remembered by the relay as the desired wipe interval. The relay also gives three wipes every time you pull the lever to use the washer, no need to actually operate the wipers.

all interesing

yeah, I know they use to make the jc whitney add on, but I don't want an ugly ass box under the dash, for the same reason I don't want an under dash EQ or CB radio- LOL. I found that those after market delays are actually just a relay, controlled by a circuit, that is normally closed, when you turn it off, it bypasses power normally, when you turn on the delay, it interrupts the circuit to add the delay, so I could probably use on of those to the power "in" to the switch, and add delay to any speed, which is what I want

they also make something like this, which is cool, but you have to "learn" something, it uses your old wiper switch, but like a motorcycle shifter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intermitten...ipers-for-your-60s-car-or-truck-/321055072314

very cool idea, but think I'd rather have a knob that says "wiper delay"
this is gonna take some brainstorming, as my dash is not factory, I made it out of 3/4" stock (yeah, plywood) I wish I could find a blank switch to fit the console switch holes
something like this:
http://www.ozautoelectrics.com/hella-windscreen-wiper-control-rotary-switch-intermittent-12v-dc.html

ok, I will post my project in the ws forum when I get this done

This is a nice mod, do you have any more details for this conversion?

I've done this using a VW "99" relay. This gives you a programmable delay, by switching on/off/on - the time between the off and on is remembered by the relay as the desired wipe interval. The relay also gives three wipes every time you pull the lever to use the washer, no need to actually operate the wipers.

My solution also includes three relays to remove all of the motor current from the wiper switch. Therefore my wiring diagram is a little complicated. I have the wiring diagram in pdf form, not sure how to post it on the board but happy to email it to anyone that wants it.

I could also knock up a wiring diagram for just the VW relay into X1/9 if anyone wants that.

Both would be appreciated. If you email them both to me I will be happy to host them for others to also peruse. They could join the best of Wiki as well if there is enough interest.

karlmead at g mail dot com

Thanks!

I would be interested in a copy of the schematic. I like the remembers your duration of pause for wipe interval length. Sounds perfect :)

Honestly, I don't even remember if it has a delay feature - if it does it would be - stalk off pos. 1, delay pos 2, then reduced & finally full speed...

Either way, being able to set the delay on the sweep interval is far more useful.

Last edited:
Yes, perusing my HBoL, it looks to me like early models didn't have the intermittent relay and thus have only a three position column switch. In this case I would either source a later model column switch or use the column switch for intermittent and speed 1, with an extra switch for high speed.

you might be able

if you added the 4 position switch.....I think the later model motors are different too, not for sure

I have decided to simply add a rotary add on delay, hopefully, to both low and high speeds.....Actually found this on Ebay- cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MIB-Mitsuba-IS-O-Intermittent-Control-Wiper-Switch-12V-/171944695771

looks to have a normally closed relay, that the power goes thru, when in "off" position....when turned on, it opens the relay, and then closes it, more or less often, depending on where the knob is turned- simple

I like the vw 99 relay option, but don't want to replace the stalk switch

for those that like the vw relay option....

check this out....I might have to buy one....it's called smartscreen,
http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pcode=040.167

obviously uses the vw relay circuitry....only thing is, it's made for our weirdo mgb brothers (who would want one of those? lol) so it would take an electrical degree to figure it out....they make several different models to fit different applications, which I am finding is really convenient, as the Mitsuba delay I bought has a cool washer function (operates wipes for 2 seconds after you squirt) only works on neg washer switch operation, so I am considering redesigning my washer switching, by giving the washer + from something in the headlight pod, and using the factory switch wire to ground it instead, to get this function

another relay

yeah, it crossed my mind, but I'm running out of room for electric stuff- lol
actually changing the washer bag to ground switch was pretty easy, I found
key on power in the headlight pod for the rad fan....hooked it to the washer motor (pos) terminal, swapped the factory wire to (neg). Then up at the switch, I took the supply wire for washer switch, and hooked it up to ground at the harness

another thing I have to do is reroute a factory jumper at the harness that goes from the park trigger to low speed. This kit uses the park trigger, and I want my intermittent wipers to run on the fast speed

I have been doing a lot of research for this, (windshield wiper university....geez) and would really like to get the smartscreen kit, but this will do for now. I really don't plan on driving in the rain a lot, but I got stuck in some a couple of weeks ago, and it is unnerving, not being able to see, while you're driving, having to constantly bump the wipers, or letting them screech-me no likey

kind of a different direction. But instead delay wipers, A foot switch, I had and old 220 benze that had this from the factory and loved it.

Back