I drove a 500 Abarth today

Comes down to what car folks expect a car to be.

Got a chance to yak with an Abarth 500 owner in the parking lot while returning from a shopping trip as he was standing by his Abarth and I asked how did he like it.

"Oh, poor quality." he said.. This prompted further conversation, "what makes the Abarth poor quality?"

He went on saying this Abarth is 1.5 years old from when he purchased it new and recently the driver side window motor died.. other than that zero has gone wrong with it. He like the go and everything else, his reported mileage at constant speed on the open road about 40 mpg. Generally, he liked the Abarth.

I went on to say, if the window motor died and it is covered by warranty with the dealer having ordered the replacement part and will repair it under warranty.. what makes the Abarth, "low quality?"

After all this, the response this time was a shoulder shrug...

Many car owners and drivers today have a very fixed expectation of what a car must be, any deviation from that often results in criticism or refusal to purchase, or satisfaction from the owner/drivers.

One litmus test has been the SAAB ignition key in the center, between the seats by the shifter. The usual criticism of this has been extreme and more flat refuse to consider a SAAB for this reason alone. Yet, this key placement is far better than having the key on the RH side of the steering column where the driver's knee can run into it or in a crash, the driver's knee can be injured by key puncturing the knee or other near by body part.

This is the kind of stuff car manufactures are up against today when designing cars for the general public. What they appear to want is a transportation appliance they are comfortable with and does not ever question their expectations of what a motor vehicle needs to be. Any deviation from this means no sale. Beyond this, techno-widget connectivity appears to be a prime feature these days with the actual dynamics of the motor vehicle being near the bottom of the list.

Then we get into the numbers game where zero to what ever speed means everything and actual vehicle dynamics means little.

And... the ragazines are driven to write and publish stuff that will sell the products that keeps their lights on and a roof over their heads and food on their table.

Bernice

There's someone in FEN who hates his 500, because his legs rubs the console, and makes it sore. Probably should have test driven it I guess.

"Oh, poor quality." he said.. This prompted further conversation, "what makes the Abarth poor quality?"

He went on saying this Abarth is 1.5 years old from when he purchased it new and recently the driver side window motor died.. other than that zero has gone wrong with it. He like the go and everything else, his reported mileage at constant speed on the open road about 40 mpg. Generally, he liked the Abarth.

Guess he never owned an Audi. Every Audi owner I know that had one in the 90's had dead passenger side window motors. And Audi didn't even warranty them...

FWIW, I got the Oh, a "Fix It Again Tony" last race by some snot nosed kid at the autoX last weekend. I looked at him and said, yeah, Tony fixed it and now I'm racing it.

... "because his legs rubs the console, and makes it sore..."

Makes WHAT sore... his leg, his legs, the console, or "it"...

I'm guessing it must be his leg... because in order to make BOTH legs sore... he would haveta be be straddling the console... or same goes for making "it" get sore...

JUST WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING TO THAT CAR??? GEEZ, I never...

Being the slim-trim and lean-mean guy that I am... I kinda like "holding-on" using my legs against the console and the door in my X... but I can see how this might be frustrating on long trips.

Maybe some "surgery" might be in order... for his console OR his leg, or... (never mind...)

He shouldn't be driving it that long and hard anyway... that's for his SUV! (Oh my... I shouldn't have said that... like that!)

I better quit now before I am banned for good!

Fiat must have reused the 1979 X center console

The center console in the 79 X I bought back in 2004 rubbed my leg all the way home from Colby, KS. It was an 11 hour drive and I had to use my left foot to push the gas pedal for stretches on the highway to get some relief. It wasn't really that noticeable around town once I had the car home, but hours of contact really were irritating.

Back