How to install MSD ignition box....

100 Percent Output to 12,000 RPM

Fast enough for ya? :eek: ;)

Specifications for it HERE: (same unit, but stem is for Ford)

Last edited:
Allison's not a true distributorless

inside of this unit has the same mechanical advance as a standard distributor. correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt that mean it's not a true distributorless?

a true distributorless you remove the standard distributor put in a block of plate and install one of thees set ups plus the cool thing is it will work with megasquirt or megajolt.

http://www.millersmule.com/

My opinion if your going to go distributorless go true distributorless I think it will end up cheaper anyway.

Distributorless means no distributor (cap)

The spark is direct from the coil to the spark plug on all cylinders. (No distributor)

Advance is another issue. It can be managed either electronically, mechanically or with vacuum.

Nice thing about this system is you get your timing the same way the "distributor" version get's it.
No crank sensors, etc.

Last edited:
WOW!!! Bob that write-up was very well done. I would love to try the Allison's product but I'm running carbs and not EFI so I don't have an ECM to connect to. Do you know if the Allison's product can be used with carb'd X's, I would completely understand if you felt I should contact them directly and ask them myself. I'm definetely considering this product if it is usable for me.

'PeteX1/9

Works very well with carbs

The only difference in the hookup is that you don't have to worry about the signal to the EFI.
In other words, there's less to hook up.

As RacerX has pointed out, the MegaSquirt will not be able to control the Ignition's advance, mainly
because there's (currently) no interface between the crank position sensor and the coil pack driver.
(I'm talking about using MegaSquirt with the Allison's Ignition system) Not a concern for me.
However, the MegaSquirt CAN be used to control the injectors with this system.
The racers out there might think they're loosing half the control the MegaSquirt offers, and they might be right. :sad:

But if you're looking for an easy to install ignition improvement with your current system, this is one to consider.
I love mine.

Bob... the term I'm looking for is REV LIMITER...

... It escaped me earlier...

But that is one feature most MSD units seem to have, either one stage or in stages... so you can't over rev the engine.

Does the Allison unit have such a feature?

No Rev limiter

On the Allison's unit unless you consider yer foot a rev limiter. :grin:

Back