headlights adjustment

I am surprised the Republic to the South does not already require this... Some Eastern states do have similar testing. I remember having to take my car (dont remember what car or which state) when I was back East for my navy days. Must have been Virginia... they were very interested in lights, horns, wipers, brakes, but not so stringent on emissions... go figure.

As tight as CA is on emissions, one would think it would be a rather simple task to include a basic safety inspection. I agree I think it would take a lot of unsafe cars off the road. Where's Nader when you need him?

Here is a link to the manual we testers have to use every day to ensure cars are tested to the required standard- every year after the car reaches 3 years old. Headlamp aim is tested on a beam tester on every vehicle, with differing standards depending on the type of headlamp fitted,and the age of the vehicle.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4i00000101.htm

stupid answer

I don't know.
The car is American specs. When I got it home (Israel) our DMV made me change the original sealed beam to another type (European specs) ???.
So as I've said before - I don't know.

Good answer!

Having Euro spec headlights probably means you can see a horizontal line (dark on top, bright on the bottom) when you have the headlights pointing toward a wall about 5m/20ft away. There may be an angled line going up and to the right midway through the horizontal line.

Something like this: __/ __/

Adjust the headlights so the horizontal line is 2in lower than the height of the headlight vertical center when the car is 5m/20ft from the wall. The point where the angled line meets the horizontal should be lined up with the L/R center of each headlight. Make these adjustments at night so you can see the pattern more easily.

This will give you a good rough aim for your headlights. You will be able to see and your light pattern is below eye/mirror level for cars ahead of you. Your local DMV may require a finer adjustment but this will reduce the chance the police stop you to explain your lights just blinded them. :)

(Having Euro spec lights also means you will see things on the road before you run over them, unlike driving with the ancient (1930's design) sealed beam light pattern.)

Along those lines Tom, Herzel... I was watching...

Edd China (on Wheeler Dealers) adjusting headlights and what he did I thought was kinda strange. He adjusted the headlights to "specs" and then switched to LOW beams. He made no further adjustments.

Which led me to believe that (at least) in England, they drive with the HIGH beams on (primarily in the unlit countryside?) and only switch to LOW beams when following closely or approaching an oncoming motorist. Maybe our British friends can clarify this...

Of course... Edd also holds the Guinness Record for the World's Fastest Sofa...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWfCczHfYSQ"]Edd China's amazing Sofa Car - YouTube[/ame]

More here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TP8pav_KSU"]World record with sofa car.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Edd China (on Wheeler Dealers) adjusting headlights and what he did I thought was kinda strange. He adjusted the headlights to "specs" and then switched to LOW beams. He made no further adjustments.

Which led me to believe that (at least) in England, they drive with the HIGH beams on (primarily in the unlit countryside?) and only switch to LOW beams when following closely or approaching an oncoming motorist. Maybe our British friends can clarify this...

All explained in the MOT manual..
This is the section on headlamp aim specs, and how it's tested. Depending on the type of headlamp, it is checked on dipped,or main beam.
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000801.htm

m4s01000805_1.gif

m4s01000804_1.gif

m4s01000803_1.gif

head-light-adjuster-02.jpg

headlights

Here is what I'll do:Since I've learned how the adjustment works' I'll drive to my friend Raffi who owns a Toyota dealership and garage/ I'll take the bezel off the two lights, take a proper wrench and adjust it on his instrument stand.
And to think that my car passes MOT test every year...
Thanks

Here is what I'll do:Since I've learned how the adjustment works' I'll drive to my friend Raffi who owns a Toyota dealership and garage/ I'll take the bezel off the two lights, take a proper wrench and adjust it on his instrument stand.
And to think that my car passes MOT test every year...
Thanks
No need to take the bezel off; The left/right screw is accessible from the side of the pod with the pods up. See bottom photo on this page:

75sd58.jpg

The middle photo on that page shows the up/down adjustment screw with the pods down. You can easily reach the adjusters with the pods up if you use a nut driver rather than a wrench.

Back