Ecotec Swap Images

kmead

Old enough to know better
Just cleaning up some files on my computer. Some Ecotec images from a past member's build I had laying around.

IMG_20160213_155910729_2.jpegIMG_20160213_155932755_2.jpg~original.jpegIMG_20160213_160008159_2.jpgIMG_20160223_174400645_2.jpgIMG_20160223_180137070_2.jpg

Fits quite nicely in there, it appears. Ecotec is Ford? Didn't think any late model stuff would still have a carb though...

Fits quite nicely in there, it appears. Ecotec is Ford? Didn't think any late model stuff would still have a carb though...
I believe it is GM. There was a thread a while back with some mention of Fiat involvement as well. Ford has the "Ecoboost". I think they are all turbos.

Yes it is a GM engine. The intake is for a turbo intake which I believe comes over the top. I don’t recall if it was his final intake as he went through a few different ones to make the package fit.

I may be mistaken but this is Stingray’s car early in his build. I believe the Getrag three shaft transmission helps with the fit up As it is very narrow, just deeper.

Last edited:
That guy was clearly very talented. Too bad he got weird and "took his toys home" (not just removing pics but editing posts and leaving a single period in its place).

Whatever. I'd think you'd want to leave it up for the prestige and "atta-boys".

You'd think. Whatever....

The ecotecs can be a really good platform, some better than others, but they're a swap and motorsport favorite.

I built an ecotec based kitcar a few years back, and can confirm these are great engines. And, I got a healthy running 105k mile supercharged LSD donor car for $2000 with over 200 stock HP. 250 now with minimal effort
83C3328D-193C-4888-BEDC-B40FB8DF2A02.jpeg

that being said, I’m doing K20 swap on the X1/9 for ease of install (MWB proven kit)

That guy was clearly very talented. Too bad he got weird and "took his toys home" (not just removing pics but editing posts and leaving a single period in its place).

Whatever. I'd think you'd want to leave it up for the prestige and "atta-boys".

Ian lived in Texas and I did a little drive shaft work for him for his X. He sold the car to someone in California and along with that his interest in the car went with it. I did contact him after FFO and didn't even think about looking him up when I was there, he commented that he only lives 10 minutes from the event and had he known he would have come out on show day. He provided me with the information to the drive shaft flanges that are used on the VW and fit the Fiat X1/9 drive line.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

I was just thinking about that build the other day. Great project and nice work. It is a shame more of the documentation wasn't left on the forum. It was almost as if he wanted to hide things when it came time to sell it....seemed a little suspect to me. I also did not quite understand the "tiger stripes" he put on the car in the end, but that's a personal preference.

It was amazing work, particularly given where the car started from. I never understood his choice to delete the documentation, it was all well done. The bodywork he did was great and the mechanical work was very nicely done. All very sanitary.

I built an ecotec based kitcar a few years back, and can confirm these are great engines. And, I got a healthy running 105k mile supercharged LSD donor car for $2000 with over 200 stock HP. 250 now with minimal effort
View attachment 69137
that being said, I’m doing K20 swap on the X1/9 for ease of install (MWB proven kit)
I’ve been impressed with some of the Ecotec based kits out there and the performance options that GM offered. Supercharged in some cars (Saturn) turbo in others (Saab), and the transmission is supposed to be really tough for what it is.

I saw a DF Goblin kit car at my local Cars and Coffee that had an Ecotec engine; it appeared that the builder was familiar with all corners of the GM parts bin.

Back