Clutch Master?

Not sure about LHD cars but I found with my RHD X1/9 that approaching it with this playing helped.
http://youtu.be/i8mz9uOvFQA

There is very little space underneath. On mine it appeared Bertone and his boys were using random bolts that they could get their hands on. One was excessively long. Totally unnecessary.

And I don't think they are that hard to bled but I did use an air pressurised system.

Good thread for me...
I'm working on my clutch troubles right now.

I think in my case it is the Slave bad.
But I found a pin hole in the Clutch Reservoir.
Everyone is out of them of course :(

So looks like yet another wait for parts...
So close to driving it i can taste it.

pin hole in reservoir, could try to touch with a soldering iron, to "weld" it closed, seems to have worked for me on my brake reservoir

I couldn't get seal all to stick on that plastic, or epoxy or silicone, the "weld" trick seemed to work though.

Fixed the Reservoir, Seal-All worked great for me.

Got under the steering column this morning.
Not looking good for my Clutch or Brake Master.
Clutch Master looks like the seal's have been leaking.

So looks like I will have to be doing the full job.
Plus all new Hydraulic hoses, Clutch Slave, Slave Line.
It doesn't look as hard as I thought it would be though.
Still not looking forward to it... lol

Thanks for all the great advise, I haven't had time to work on it yet. But I should be able to soon. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all the great advise, I haven't had time to work on it yet. But I should be able to soon. I will let you all know how it goes.

The clutch master on my '78 just flew the coop so I'll be feeling your pain simultaneously :)

Yes...with a wrinkle -

I cut threads on both ends of a rod instead of using all thread. It's SOP for me. You don't need much force to hold the masters on; the stock bolts are pretty light too.
I usually just pull the master down a bit and use a line wrench to loosen the line nuts. PITA but there isn't an easy way to get the job done. One tip: I usually seal off the cap on the reservoir to keep the hoses from dumping too much brake fluid on me!

What Bernice said...

If you do choose to go to the trouble of replacing the brake master while it's all apart (probably worth considering if you don't want to do this again soon), think about replacing the long bolts that hold both the clutch and brake masters in place with all thread rod.

... in this thread.

Replacing the bolts with threaded rod is not a good idea.

Not to steal this thread, but has anyone had this problem with there clutch?

When pressing the pedal you go about 1inch and then you hit a wall, push a little harder and you get beyond that wall and all is ok until you have to press the clutch pedal again. I have bleed the $#*# out of the system, so I am sure there is no air in it. The car shifts just fine, and if you open the bleeder on the slave it does the same thing, so I don't think it is on the slave/transmission end.

John

Not to steal this thread, but has anyone had this problem with there clutch?

When pressing the pedal you go about 1inch and then you hit a wall, push a little harder and you get beyond that wall and all is ok until you have to press the clutch pedal again. I have bleed the $#*# out of the system, so I am sure there is no air in it. The car shifts just fine, and if you open the bleeder on the slave it does the same thing, so I don't think it is on the slave/transmission end.

John

Keep a watch on your Master.
They do that sometimes just before they go out.

No one has mentioned "Bench Bleeding"

Everyones advice is good but before you start any new component replacement you have to fill and cycle fluid through it before you do any thing with it. Bench bleeding will save a bit of agrivation and help the bleeding process.

Just my 2C.

Warren

Hey Warren... I tried that...

Especially on American cars with attached reservoirs... it is MANDATORY and you usually find "Warnings" packed in the boxes the replacements come in.

BUT... I dunno if you have ever tried doing this on these cars... I have, and what a MESS! Usually, most of the fluid will leak out as you attempt to install the master, especially if just replacing the clutch master under the dash.

I do recommend lubing and "exercising" the master on the bench with brake fluid, then draining it and wiping it down before installing. That's gotta help as some have been stored for quite some time and are somewhat stuck or stiff.

Back