cat and air filter on FI cars

Mod within the limits of the stock FI system

I think the answer is to mod within the limits of the stock FI system. Get a properly set up performance head, 35/75 cam and a header, you will find more power with the stock FI components. You can tweak the AFM a bit and use an adjustable cam wheel to hunt for the limits.

I have an 85 with a MWB FI Performance head and a Vick's long tube header. The FI system is stock. I am building an identical set up to replace the carb's 1300 in my 78 and that engine is what is pictured below.
mockup_2.jpg

IM002604.jpg

IM002603.jpg

Vicksheader1.jpg

I don't have any dyno runs, but I have a lot of experience driving a stock FI X, and this engine setup is definitely more satisfying to drive. It certainly isn't over powering, but the difference is very noticeable. A local Fiat buddy has a stock FI 81 and he was pretty amazed at how much more power my car had compared to his.

Of course you can go high dollar and switch to an aftermarket FI system like Megasquirt, bigger injectors, different AFM, etc, etc or switch to dual carbs, even higher compression and a hotter cam.

Back