Brake Hose Question

The hose end looks like a bulkhead fitting to secure the hose end to the frame. Is there a tubing connection on the other end of this hose fitting.

Can we get an en view of this hose fitting. From that the type of tubing connection can be determined and what could be connected on the other end of this hose fitting.

Most common for domestic cars would be an SAE 45 degree double flare. Be aware this tubing flare type is not designed to be re-used often. Service cycles can results in leaks and poor sealing as the SAE 45 degree double internal flare was not designed to installed and removed as a commonly serviced item.

Bernice

brake woes

that circlip is what holds the hose in the frame on the INSIDE of the frame. that is what you need to access to remove the hose.
once off, you might be able to pull the hose enough to get to the hard line from outside the frame
mikemo90*aol.com

Brake Hose Removed

After fighting the brake hose for a week, it became clear that the fuel pump was going to have to be removed to access the inside of the truck's frame. I replaced the fuel pump, once. I never want to do that again. My knuckles are still recovering, some two years later. The brake hose connection on the inside of the frame is right up against the fuel pump. All together, there is about 1" of clearance to get to the pump.

I finally had the truck towed to a local mechanic, who removed the pump and accessed the brake hose from the inside and was able to remove it and install the new one. At that point, no cost would have been too much.

Now, the truck stops perfectly. Indeed, it was the brake hose that caused the problem.

What we need to do as a collective society is to round up all of the auto engineers whose designs cause this much pain and suffering, and shoot them. Once they are all dead, we should figure out a way to resuscitate them, so that we can shoot them again. Just a thought.

Don

Engineers are often at the mercy of management that dictates what they can or cannot do. Their designs are often well controlled by management, the accountants (bean counters) and the need for company profits. More times than not, these problems are not the fault of design engineers, it is the fault of management that would only allow stuff to be done in a rather specific way.

Know current motor vehicles are not designed or intended to be serviced, they are intended to be disposed of once their bits are wore out. The intent here is to make the user-drive-owner purchase another one, good for the motor vehicle producers, can be really bad for the user-driver-owner. This is supported by laws written with the help of motor industry lobbyist and all who has their fingers in the pot which are then passed and forced upon the motoring public.

Ever notice commercial and military aircraft, ships (more than a few ships have on board machine shops to keep them running), and other industrial items are not made to be disposed of if a small item wears out or dies?
These technological items are designed from the beginning to be in service for a long time and designed to be repaired if problems arise.

Bernice

What we need to do as a collective society is to round up all of the auto engineers whose designs cause this much pain and suffering, and shoot them. Once they are all dead, we should figure out a way to resuscitate them, so that we can shoot them again. Just a thought.

Don

Sticky brakes

The problem with release of pressure is because the hoses break down internally sometimes before one can see external problems. When the brakes are applied, the fluid is forced through the hose. When the pedal is released there is virtually none to force the fluid back. Easy way to check--- apply the brakes, and when they don't release, crack the bleed screw. If they release immediately, it's the hose, or no clearance on the master activation, or a sticking piston in the master, not allowing fluid return. 9 out of ten it's the hose.
Tom

Good call... Simple... and I gotta say that wilh my...

limited experience working full time for about 5 years in the industry, I never came across brake hose problems until I found FIATS!

Blown hoses, just never collapsed hoses! Good logical TS process! I'll store that one away!

You Are Not Alone, Tony...

...but, I've had it happen twice before. Once with an X and once with a Scorpion. Also, my main auto parts guy - and someone I trust - said that it couldn't be the brake hose. Of course, he got me to buy a caliper that I did not need.

If you look at the size of the hole in any brake hose, it becomes obvious that it wouldn't take much to create a blockage. When you step on the brake pedal, an enormous amount of pressure is generated to close the caliper. When your foot comes off the brake pedal, there is very little pressure going the other way - so it hangs up.

I knew this could be a problem - because of my experience with Italian cars. But, geez, an all-American product like a Chevy. C'mon, we only manufacture the best-of-the-best. And, Roger Smith, CEO at GM symbolized all that was good about American cars. That's why he retired in disgrace with an enormous retirement package.

Maybe Bernice is right. We shouldn't complain about auto engineers. They aren't the ones who should be shot. But, clearly, someone needs to pay a price. Wonder whatever happened to good ole Roger?

Don

Good ole Roger........!!

....Wonder whatever happened to good ole Roger?.......

......got severely tongue-lashed by Michael Moore (Roger and Me)!! :guns:
Evidently disappeared into "frugal" retirement soon after.

cheers, Ian - NZ

HA! Look at old Ian going off on a severe tangent!

Again...

I don't know about engineers... but I always felt they were SECOND from the top (designers) with the prototype installers and assemblers being the only STOP-GAP before this kinda crap hit the streets!

Back in early '68 the first El Dorado FWD Caddy came to our dealership in Deep Metallic Blue and the Power door locks if I remember correctly, were operated via pushing up or down on the driver's button.

The door lock buttons were at the very end of the door... and once you shut the door they were now BEHIND you by about 18 inches! Neither your left hand or your right had could reach around the headrest or between the seat and window to unlock the door and exit the car.

If you ordered Bucket Seats, it was extremely difficult to crawl over the center console to reach the passenger door and unlock it... which only unlocked that side, and not the driver's side.

I found this to be a PERFECT example of Designers, Engineers, and Prototype Assemblers who never actually sat in, or drove a car to see if their ideas really worked! Three chances to fix it and they all failed!

HA!

brake line

ok, lets go old school here. pull the fuel pump. once it is loose, if there is tension on the lever from the pushrod bump the starter to relieve the pressure. on the front of the block there should be a small bolt that lines up with the pushrod angle and is basically to keep oil from leaking. if you remove this, (don't lose it!!)you can use a longer bolt to hold the pump pushrod in place so re-installing the pump is a whole lot easier. now use any thing that will help you see inside the area where the hard line goes into the frame (engine side). the hard line screws into the rubber hose and it looks like the rubber hose is threaded for a securing nut. you can buy a boroscope to look into any hole to see what awaits you. I have one I am willing to loan for this endeavor, if you want to pay shipping both ways. but you can find it at most major hardware stores for about 60.00, 100.00
hope this helps
mikemo90*aol.com

Back